stand-up

Woodford County

[glow=black,2,300]Are my eyes deceiving me?  After going over the rankings, this is what I came up with:[/glow]

[glow=yellow,2,300]Six weight classes with no one from Woodford County ranked in the top 25.

[glow=black,2,300]Only five Woodford County wrestlers ranked in the top ten.[/glow]

[glow=yellow,2,300]Only One Woodford County wrestler ranked #1.

[glow=black,2,300]Wow, has this ever happened before?  Has the rest of the state finally caught up with Woodford Co?[/glow]

Stand-up;

Everything goes in cycles. 

This is the first time in a long time that Woodford is not the dominating power (or at least it seems that way)

Thanks to some stats that I have obtained.  I see that the last time Woodford did not have at least one state champ was in 1994 when they had one runner up. (Joe Carr).

You have to go back to 1989 before they you find them with no state finalists.  (They only had 3 placers that year)

The 1980 were not good for Woodford.  They only had 2 state champions in all of the 1980's.  From 1980-1989 they had 2 state champions, 6 finalists and 30 placers.  (Since I wrestled in the 80's maybe this is why I have never been in awe of Woodford) (Now Hopkinsville, they were amazing in the 80's)

(MY EDITORIAL)

Remember however they have made a coaching change.  I know many believe that Carr was the major force in this team, but I still contend that it was Mr. Parks.  I think you will continue to see a decline in Woodford.  Mr. Parks was the glue that held this team together.  I know that Joe and Joe are excellent technicians and know more about wrestling than I will ever know, but there is more to coaching than just knowing the moves.  Mr. Parks knew this and this is why he was an excelland coach. 

Well this certainly is a down year for us from the outset.  Might be the first year since the 88-89 season when we do not place in the top three, but I doubt it.  I still look for us to have a strong year, at least two or three state champions, and contend for a team title.  One thing is for sure we will certainly have to improve as the year goes on and fill some holes.

In response to the reason why this is happening it is not because Parks left.  The real reason is that we do not have the numbers we once did.  The elementary and middle school programs have not had consistent coaches so many of our kids are wrestling for the first time as freshman.  It just so happens that Parks left around the same time the numbers dropped off.  However this will not continue for long I can assure you.

In response to the reason why this is happening it is not because Parks left.  The real reason is that we do not have the numbers we once did.  The elementary and middle school programs have not had consistent coaches so many of our kids are wrestling for the first time as freshman.  It just so happens that Parks left around the same time the numbers dropped off.   However this will not continue for long I can assure you.

This is very true.  From talking to their m.s. coaches the past couple of years, it seems they really don't get a lot of support for their m.s. team there.  It seems the principal at their m.s. really isn't a big wrestling fan.  That's a shame.  But to stand-up's point, while woodford has struggled with m.s. & youth wrestling, some other programs have thrived.  I wouldn't go as far as to say "the rest of the state caught up to them" but I would definitely say some teams have caught them and passed them at the m.s. level.  Ryle, Trinity, Union, Larue, etc.  Those teams will be re-loading year after year for the next few years and longer.  And that idea is spreading.  Also watch out for the Oldham County teams.  For 1 county, that area is stacked with wrestlers and they seem to wrestle all year long with fs/gr.

It doesn't matter how good of a coach Joe Carr or Rusty Parks is, if they coach kids starting in the 9th grade and the rest of the state starts them in the 6th grade or earlier, Woodford will struggle.  But I agree with AllAmricn157, this won't last.  Their m.s. team is improving greatly and I expect pretty soon their feeder program will be one of the best in the state.

This is very true.  From talking to their m.s. coaches the past couple of years, it seems they really don't get a lot of support for their m.s. team there.  It seems the principal at their m.s. really isn't a big wrestling fan.  That's a shame.  But to stand-up's point, while woodford has struggled with m.s. & youth wrestling, some other programs have thrived.  I wouldn't go as far as to say "the rest of the state caught up to them" but I would definitely say some teams have caught them and passed them at the m.s. level.  Ryle, Trinity, Union, Larue, etc.  Those teams will be re-loading year after year for the next few years and longer.  And that idea is spreading.  Also watch out for the Oldham County teams.  For 1 county, that area is stacked with wrestlers and they seem to wrestle all year long with fs/gr.

It doesn't matter how good of a coach Joe Carr or Rusty Parks is, if they coach kids starting in the 9th grade and the rest of the state starts them in the 6th grade or earlier, Woodford will struggle.  But I agree with AllAmricn157, this won't last.  Their m.s. team is improving greatly and I expect pretty soon their feeder program will be one of the best in the state.

It was the former Woodford Co. Middle School principal that didn't want to support ANY sports and that set the wrestling program back a few years.  The current administration is very supportive.  Last years team finished 4th in the state and with some veteran wrestlers returning it should be another good season.

It was the former Woodford Co. Middle School principal that didn't want to support ANY sports and that set the wrestling program back a few years.  The current administration is very supportive.  Last years team finished 4th in the state and with some veteran wrestlers returning it should be another good season.

Yea, that's what I was trying to say.  :-D  Woodford definitely got better quickly at the m.s. level last year.  Good to hear that yo-yo is gone!

It doesn't matter how good of a coach Joe Carr or Rusty Parks is, if they coach kids starting in the 9th grade and the rest of the state starts them in the 6th grade or earlier, Woodford will struggle. 

Lets hope that this is not entirely true.  If it is there are many schools that will need to pack up and go home.  Many will not be able to start middle school teams or may not have middle schools. (Some of the private schools)

A program still has a chance, the only problem is that they will not have any 3 time state champions. Using the premise of 6th graders taking 3 years to compete then the other schools can still compete but their kids will be Jr. or Sr..

As a team they may not compete, but individually they can.

The advantage of Middle School programs feeding a high school program does seem to be a huge factor in the high school team race.  I dont see any high school programs winning it all without a strong youth program in the future.

There are still examples of kids doing very well without the middle school experience, but overall the experience gained at the earlier ages is a huge advantage.

Alot of times it seems the teams success is a by product of the individuals efforts, I dont think that is always the way its intended but usually is the case.  I think the programs that get the team aspect to overcome the individual are the true "Programs".

PS: I dont expect Woodford to be down for long, if at all!

Lets hope that this is not entirely true.  If it is there are many schools that will need to pack up and go home.  Many will not be able to start middle school teams or may not have middle schools. (Some of the private schools)

A program still has a chance, the only problem is that they will not have any 3 time state champions. Using the premise of 6th graders taking 3 years to compete then the other schools can still compete but their kids will be Jr. or Sr..

As a team they may not compete, but individually they can.

I know for a fact that the majority of the wrestlers on woodfords varsity team start way before 9th grade. In fact most of the ones I know start in elementary school. SO I just think it is kind of a cop out to say that they arent as goo right now because of their middle school program. A lot of successful teams don't even have them, and are new to wrestling in the ninth grade.

That says a lot about the program they have over at Woodford when we are discussing a down year for them and they are still going to be a very solid top 10 team (likely top 5) at state and will make some noise at the state duals.

Everybody has nailed it.  Their youth program is nothing like it use to be and couple that with losing maybe the best coach in KY history has really hurt the program. 

Seems like the administration in the elemetary and middle school level have made it very difficult to succeed.  Plus they have really needed a teacher to be a coach at that level.  None of the alumni have gone back to coach and teach at the youth level.