ftknox

WCI

And on the "home cookin" stuff.

I think your getting "Home Cooking" confussed with intimidation.

I see many refs get intimidated by older, experienced coaches. Woodford, Larue, Campbell, Sheldon Clark (when Matney was there). The refs don't do this intentionally. When they see a well admired coach approach the table the second guess themselves. Good or bad this is true, I know of many officials that have said when ***** goes to the table I start checking myself to see what I did wrong.

I have officiated for a couple of years and know its extremely difficult. I have contiplated returning but I don't have the time.

I would however encourage all ex-wrestlers to try officiating, at least for one year. It's a way you can give back to the sport and to the coaches and peers that challenged you through your high school career.

These are their personal best finishes at state

derek scott- Champ

stacey miller- 2nd

ben warner- 3rd

rusty parks- 2nd

tyler baines- 6th

harrison courtney- 3rd

bob aylor- Champ

brian wilson- 2nd

pat banks- 3rd

mitch ervin- 6th

josh cooper- 2nd

ryan ross- 6th

That doesn't lie' date=' so my vote goes to 145 for the tougher weight class[/

quote']

Parks is a champ also.You are missing Bryant,that makes 2 champs and 4 finalist.

invincy33' date='

dude you're right about Ben Rupp. He was ahead practiclly the whole match and when starks shot on him when it was like 5 seconds lift they landed outside of the circle and starks didn't even have control. he had bens legs but ben had his head. so it was still neutral. I saw that alot however how woodford kids got favored alot.it was nothing but some home cooking for the woodford kids. thanks man i'm glad to kno that someone saw that and shares the same point of view with me.[/quote']

Not sure who the ref is you are talking about, but he does not have to have a head to get controll, if he has the hips and rupp was supputing in weight on his hands or kness and starks toes were in it was a takedown. I was not there but fron the way you are decribing it, it was the right call.

wrestling4life,

he didn't just have the head he like had his arms under his and no one had control. I'm not good at explaining it was a thing that you got to see to understand. but it was outside of the circle and it was still neutral.

Matt Baker the 160 from North Hardin injured his knee in the quarterfinals against So Oldham at the WCI. He found out today he has retorn the medial meniscus that he had surgery on last year after tearing it in the 2005 Regionals. He is out for the season. Dr. Caborn, who did Brian Brohm's surgery ( U of L QB ) will be doing the surgery.

Just Wrestle, usually when people start a sentence that they "don't mean to dog anyone", that is usually what is coming up. To say a weight class is really really bad is a slam and disservice to those wrestlers all over the state that work their butts off for the sport they love. To say a weight class is weak is one thing, but to go one step further and "dog" them by saying they are really really bad is out of line.

For the record, the Baker family wishes Chad Fyffe the best of luck and hope sincerely that he recovers from his knee injury very soon. We know the pain that two seasons ended prematurely by injury can bring. As for Matt, believe it or not, his goal is to rehab and be back in time to wrestle his senior year.

Once again, I believe 160 is a really really bad weight class. I stand by my opinion 100%. In no way am I trying to disservice anybody who wrestles, but the fact of life is, sometimes there are weak weight classes. In fact, on this site from time to time people talk about that exact subject.

I disagree with the ranking these weigt classes solely by the finishes at state for these guys. You'd also have to consider the competition level of the weight classes they finished in...140 was pretty good last year, where as I would guess Parks won state at 103 or 112, right? Those weight classes (sorry little guys) are usually not as tough as the middle weights. 103 for example usually has 8th, 9th, & 10th graders placing in it....if an 8th grader places at 140, look out! He's usually going to be awesome!

If you look at the caliber of wrestlers at 145, and use some common sense, there's no question that's the toughest weight class. Look at Harrison Courtney, he's already beaten a nationally ranked wrestler from Indiana (I believe that's what I read on here). Aylor just won the GMVWA tournament which is insanely tough!! And he's already got 2 or more in-state losses!! 145 is scary tough! If Courtney wins it, I say we're looking at maybe the best wrestler ever from Ky.

Best wrestler ever??? I'm not sure I would agree with that. However, if Courtney were to win a title this year, that would be an incredible accomplishment. I think that would definately put him in the upper echelon, but I don't think he would be credited the best of all time. Now if he wins this year, and until he graduates..then i would gladly re-consider it.

Agree. If he can pull off the 4x champ feat, he gets my vote. Especially considering who he will have to go through (at least at this point) this season.

Agree. If he can pull off the 4x champ feat' date=' he gets my vote. Especially considering who he will have to go through (at least at this point) this season.[/quote']

I was thinking the same thing Ranger. If Courtney can pull it all together this year, win the title and continue for 3 more years. You have to give him consideration. But even at WC being the best ever is hard, Ie Joe Carr, Ian Horn two of the top of my head.

question: Will Courtney come close to aquiring more wins than Joe? I know he will have one more year at varsity than Joe. I believe he has something like 250 wins.

Once again' date=' I believe 160 is a really really bad weight class. I stand by my opinion 100%. In no way am I trying to disservice anybody who wrestles, but the fact of life is, sometimes there are weak weight classes. In fact, on this site from time to time people talk about that exact subject.[/quote']

A really really bad weight class???? I'm not sure that is entirely correct. If it was truely that bad some of the 152lbs would be headed that way. I think you may be confusing bad with unproven. I think the top 3 or 4 in this wt. class will be very competitive. Just as much as 112, 119, 135, 152, 171, 189, Hwt.

Actually I think 171, and even 189 may be weaker wt. classes at this time. Fyffe, Hidreth, and Walls are just as competitive as Starks, Rupp, and Jones, maybe slightly moreso.

189 after you get past Starks and Winneger, drops off a level or two.

Hwt is always in a league of their own. In the big boy wt. class anything can happen.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think a lot of weight classes are weak this year. Once you go past the top 2 in every weight class, the talent level really drops off. Except 125 and 145, which are really tuff.

Well i would have to say after this year pat banks will have the most wins in a seson he has a few more wins to go and still has next year but will be beat by courtney.

Tiger06 - everyone has their own opinion, i respect yours....but think about a freshman winning at 145...this is not 103 where we have an 8th grader & a 9th grader in the finals (I believe that was the case last year, right?) Not taking anything away from those guys....but could they hang with a Kyle Ruchelle? Or even a decent Jr/Sr wrestler in the upper weight classes? On top of that, this is not an average year at 145...this is a VERY good year!! 145 is stacked. I'm not saying I think Courtney will definitely win it...he could easily not win, in fact....if he has a bad tourney, he may not be in the top 4. <--i'm not saying that will happen, but it certainly could. For a freshman to win that weight class, and assuming he becomes a 4xer....those are big ifs, but if he does that, I'd have no problem saying he was the best ever. I know Joe Carr Jr. is a sacred cow in this state, but he won his first title as an 8th grader at 103. Again, i believe this is traditionally the weakest weight class in the state. If he had been an 8th grader or 9th grader and beefed up to 145 I doubt he would have won state. Now I'm sure the WC mafia will be kicking down my door soon! I mean that as no disrespect to Carr....but winning 145 as a freshman when it's this stacked would be pretty amazing. Jerod Trice from Hoptown won 145 as a freshman in 88, but there were no significant returning state placers in his weight class. Trice could have been one of the greatest ever from this state...anyone who seen him his 9th & 10th grade years would have a hard time arguing that. If Courtney wins it this year, with the kids that are currently there.....he's got my vote hands down! At least as the best freshman ever....we'll see what happens the rest of his career.

I with you pioneer. I didn't see him, but from what I hear, Trice was one of the best without argument. And that's what it took to pull off that sort of feat (a freshman winning at a higher weight class). Add to that the competition at 145 this year. But Courtney has a lot of work to do this year and the next 3.

How many wins does Pat Banks have?

Pat has 180 through today so barring injury or illness, he should surpass 200 victories this season which will leave him having to win around 40 next year to pass JC. Based on the schedule from last year and based on this year's schedule, he should be able to get in around 50 matches next season as well. He also missed a pretty good number of matches his 7th, 8th (for middle school competition) and 9th grade (early season surgery) years, which would theoretically have him over 200 victories right now. Pat has set the LaRue County career victories, career team points and career pins records this year so congrats to him for those accomplishments. With all of those individual accomplishments, I know him well enough to tell you that he would probably trade it all for a state championship for LaRue County High School.