Sign in to follow this  
prwrestler13008

Next year stand-outs??

sorry but i think that 215 was very weak nickel dont look or act like a state champ and if you think he will luck out 2 years in a row you are sadley very wrong. i think sc adam dials will be a man beast the only reason he lost this year was because just got meesed up he will come back next season and fix his mess ups and kick the crap out of everyone at 215

and adam dials does?...it sounds to me like someone is jealous of their state placing!

sorry but i think that 215 was very weak nickel dont look or act like a state champ and if you think he will luck out 2 years in a row you are sadley very wrong. i think sc adam dials will be a man beast the only reason he lost this year was because just got meesed up he will come back next season and fix his mess ups and kick the crap out of everyone at 215

So what does it say that Dials got 5th at what you call a weak weight class?  Looks don't mean a thing when you step on the mat.  Nickel worked his tail off and won it all.  I understand you supporting your guy at SC, but I think anyone who can advance and earn a state championship deserves a great deal of respect.  There are a lot of really good wrestlers (Pat Banks and Josh Cooper to name a couple) who never achieve that goal.

Ryan Houchens should win state next year. The boy doesn't quit and will work as hard as anyone in the state this year. He came one win away from All-American status last year at Fargo Nationals as a young Cadet. Another South Oldham wrestler, Cody Lasiegn will also place high next year.

Alright Region8Matman, I will put this very nicely b/c I can't say what I really want to say.  Losers make excuses on why the winners got the results.  You're making excuses of why Dials didn't win.  Meanwhile, Nickel is sitting home with a gold medal and a plaque that says Kentucky State Champion.  Enough said.

Are we looking for standouts or surprises? The surprises of the underrated are my standouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am proud of some really good wrestlers that lost to good wrestlers all year, then beat the same ones back at state (Ben Winkler to name one). They are standouts!

Are we looking for standouts or surprises? The surprises of the underrated are my standouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am proud of some really good wrestlers that lost to good wrestlers all year, then beat the same ones back at state (Ben Winkler to name one). They are standouts!

very nice I agree totally!!!!!!

Top competitors by weight class for next year.  Based mainly off from their styles, competitiveness, and my wild guess as to where their weights will be.  If only one is listed, I did'nt see anyone else that looked like they could make a run for it with that guy in the weight class.

tyler grimm from johnson central will be a standout next year, look for him to probably win it all next year  at either 130 or 135.  8-)

Wow, I had heard that he was on growth hormones just to weigh 103.  Will he be able to gain that much?  That opens up a lot at 103 as I am sure most of the wrestlers there were dropping some weight and will no longer be able to make it next season.

I heard from some people that he had to cut weight to make 103 but not much and that he was moving up in weight cause he's thinking 'bout college and what not. The weight difference from 103 to 125 and that's another reason for the move up in weight.

When I think of the most deserving state champ this year I think of a few guys. Nickel tops the list just because of his work ethic and he refuses to lose.  Dials is good, but obviously not on the same level.  Who cares what you look like(not that nickel dosen't look like a champ) that is why we step on the mat, to prove that looks mean nothing.  Lock up with nickel then make your judgement.  He is no fluke.  Comments like yours only add fuel to his fire I'm sure.  :evil:

I don't know about that. I think Nickel would have handled Starks pretty soundly, if he and Jones were to meet, I don't think Nickel would be in too much danger. Jones is by no means a bad wrestler. I enjoy watching him very much. Just don't think he is capable of beating Derek.

I don't know about that. I think Nickel would have handled Starks pretty soundly, if he and Jones were to meet, I don't think Nickel would be in too much danger. Jones is by no means a bad wrestler. I enjoy watching him very much. Just don't think he is capable of beating Derek.

I think it would've been the opposite with Nickel and Starks. I know it was last years offseason but those 2 wrestled at Conner and starks had his way with him. I think even this year starks would win though IMO

HUH?????? :?  You can't be talking about Mark Jones from North Hardin and Derek Nickel from Doss.  I don't think Nickel comes close to defeating Jones.

Don't get me wrong if the match occured I would probably root for Nickel (mostly because he is the underdog, and a heck of a nice kid), but I think Jones would defeat him soundly.

I hope Derek wins another title.  I'll be rooting for him all the way, and if the same group of kids are at 215 next year, he has a great chance of repeating.  However if some of those 189's move up he could be in trouble.

You would be surprised by how Nickel would stack up against Jones.  He can match his strength and could probably match his speed.  Nickel has pretty good technique, so I don't think Jones would have a large advantage in this department.  He might have a slight advantage but not a large one.  What Nickel might lack in overall physcial ability to Jones, and I'm not sure it's much if anything at all, he would more than make up for in determination and heart.  It appears you, like many people in this state, underestimate Nickel and his ability.  That mistake was made at state this year and we all saw how that turned out!  If Jones and Nickel wrestle 10 times, I would say they would split.  Maybe this will be a match we will actually get to see instead of the hypothetical matches that so often come up in many threads on the site.  If Jones doesn't move up to 215 next year, then maybe Coach Smith would be kind enough to let Jones bump up to 215 for a tournament like the King of the Bluegrass next year or maybe even a possible dual tournament.  Derek will wrestle anyone who wants to wrestle him.  He doesn't care about ability or size.  We're talking about a kid who went from winning 4 matches as a freshman to winning state as a Junior.  He has improved each year by leaps and bounds and will do so next year.  The Derek you saw this year will only be half as good as the Derek you see next year.  I would say Jones and Nickel are pretty even overall.  Jones may have a slight advantage.  As for next year, that would definitely be a different story.  GIVE THE KID SOME CREDIT!

I agree. Most guys improve greatly their first few years and then kind of level out. Nickel is constantly improving through hard work and tournaments. I don't think anyone at 215 next year will keep him from takin' home gold at state.

Nickle is one of my friends and i have to say, before the season started i thought Nickle would have state in the bag. He has a mat at his house, and being there and watching him move faster than me on the mat, (and im a 145) had me convinced that he would win state. Even when everyone thought Starks would stay at 215, i asked him "well wat about if Starks is in your way?", and he told me, "Then i'll beat him too!!!"

And with that kind of determination there was no dought in my mind that he would win.

Then through out the year he started wrestling like how other 215 wrestle and not how i knew he could wrestle, and that had everyone thinking without question, that he wasn't going to win. Slightly even myself. That is why he was considered the "underdog" that won a state title, but in my book, he wasn't an underdog... he was my favorit to win. I knew he was a better wrestler that all other 215s out there and he proved it at state. Maybe some of you arent convinced yet, because he wasn't absolutly the man to beat through out the entire wrestling season, but i have wittnessed Derek do some amazing things. And he has more techniques than that of any 215 or 189 in state as of now. I beleive if he and Jones were to wrestle right now Derek would win and be in control for most of the match. He is a remarkable young man and he deffinately does not deserve to be under esstimated!

Nickle is one of my friends and i have to say, before the season started i thought Nickle would have state in the bag. He has a mat at his house, and being there and watching him move faster than me on the mat, (and im a 145) had me convinced that he would win state. Even when everyone thought Starks would stay at 215, i asked him "well wat about if Starks is in your way?", and he told me, "Then i'll beat him too!!!"

And with that kind of determination there was no dought in my mind that he would win.

Then through out the year he started wrestling like how other 215 wrestle and not how i knew he could wrestle, and that had everyone thinking without question, that he wasn't going to win. Slightly even myself. That is why he was considered the "underdog" that won a state title, but in my book, he wasn't an underdog... he was my favorit to win. I knew he was a better wrestler that all other 215s out there and he proved it at state. Maybe some of you arent convinced yet, because he wasn't absolutly the man to beat through out the entire wrestling season, but i have wittnessed Derek do some amazing things. And he has more techniques than that of any 215 or 189 in state as of now. I beleive if he and Jones were to wrestle right now Derek would win and be in control for most of the match. He is a remarkable young man and he deffinately does not deserve to be under esstimated!

I just cried a little.

Derek nickel didnt luck out he wanted it more than any other 215. Before the season even started he talked to me about how bad he wanted to win the big one. The guy was also in superior shape compared to the other 215s, the guy ran cross country in the fall and still went to wrestling practice after that. U have to give him some credit he made best out of a bad situation. His practice partner quit and the closest person to his weight was a 160 i think. So without a partner the kid still won state with all of those factors i think it had to have taken more than luck.