• 140-Bryan Peace-Ryle
    • 145-Harrison Courtney-Woodford
    • 152-Mitch Ervin-Union
    • 160-John Wolsiefer-Fern Creek
    • 171-Mason Reid-Ryle
    • 189-Will Starks-Woodford
    • 215-Derek Nickel-Doss
    • HWT-Matt Byrd-Woodford

IMO Travis Sullivan got extremely lucky, DC Evans was handling him....with the way he was shooting that double leg..he should have cut him and played it safe

yea but im sure that travis could have picked top in another period if that kept happening to him

travis did not get lucky at all. he kept wrestling the whole match like good wrestlers do and it worked for him. evans loosened up and went in stall mode and stoped wrestling and travis kept going. sounds like to me your just mad that he lost

IMO Nickel was the MOW handsdown.  He showed physical dominance at 215 but more importantly he showed class.

yes he did show class but he got to lucky this week. only winning by 1 and 2 points.

travis did not get lucky at all. he kept wrestling the whole match like good wrestlers do and it worked for him. evans loosened up and went in stall mode and stoped wrestling and travis kept going. sounds like to me your just mad that he lost

how is climbing out of a guilotine to get on top of someone for the pin stalling,did u even watch the match tahts how he got turned, if he would hav stalled out in the guilotine sullivan wouldnt have gotten out and why would ucwrestler125 be mad a whitley county wrestler lost?

Stall mode?? Evans was winning the match and was on top.  He threw in a leg and turned Sullivan to his back.  That doesn't sound like stall mode to me.  If he wanted to stall he could have grabbed a one on one and held on for a ride, instead he went for the pin.  If he wanted to stall he could have cut him and wrestled defensively on his feet.  There is no way Evans was stalling he was wrestling great and Sullivan worked his was off of his back.  I wouldn't call it luck because Travis is a great wrestler but I definately would not call it stalling on Evans part!!!

If you wanna talk about stalling then you have to mention the 140 finals match. I didn't think it was respectful of Peace to do what he did at the end of the match. It didn't appear that he was doing anything defensively or offensively. He just flatened comlpetely out and stalled. Ahead in points or not, that wasn't cool.

Were it not for Mitch Ervin's win in the finals, Union Co. wouldn't have had enough points to win the team title. Not only was that an outstanding win individually, but clinching his team's championship with the 1st place points gives this young man the undisputed outstanding wrestler of the tournament honors.

What a class act!! Union County, we are humbled by the sportsmanship and honor you have brought to our beloved sport. The way that the Ervins continue to give back to wreslting and their community is nothing short of majestic. You are an inspiration. Thank you!!!!

yes he did show class but he got to lucky this week. only winning by 1 and 2 points.

are you kidding me? how did he get lucky? he showed up to wrestle at state like everyone knew he would, he wrestled his style, fast and capatilizing off others mistakes. how is winning by just 1 or 2 points lucky? it would take forever to count this years state champs that won matches by 1 or 2 points. he beat the 2nd ranked kid and the 7th ranked kid and then deon chaney who was ranked liked 5th i think? he just showed up totally focused and should have won MOW easily, and hes my pick to won state champion next year at 215.

Bulldog215,  How do you figure Nickel got lucky this week.  He pinned his first two opponents.  He beat Winter 10-3, He beat Shipp 8-3 (the score on khsaa is wrong! it wasn't 3-1), and he handled Chaney 10-4.  How do you figure he got lucky?

There is no need to pay attention to this guy. Derek Nickel dominated, desevered gold, and, in my opinion, should have walked away with most outstanded wrestler. Period. Mitch Ervin wrestled great and secured his teams victory but wasn't he also pick to win state by most people? Derek came out of nowhere and made his run to the top look easy. Maybe next year he'll come back and show people just how "lucky" he is by taking some more hardware home.

Mitch Ervin wrestled great and secured his teams victory but wasn't he also pick to win state by most people?

I think that most people thought that Banks would walk away with the title when Cooper was unable to participate in the tourney.

I think that most people thought that Banks would walk away with the title when Cooper was unable to participate in the tourney.

Agree, This is why Irvin should get kudos

Guest wrestler92

I agree, I thought 152 was a weak weight class as well, I think some 145's could have jumped up and competed with them too. 

why did mich irvin win MOW he had a week weight class besides banks ryan dylan goldsby and hichings

how is climbing out of a guilotine to get on top of someone for the pin stalling,did u even watch the match tahts how he got turned, if he would hav stalled out in the guilotine sullivan wouldnt have gotten out and why would ucwrestler125 be mad a whitley county wrestler lost?

d.c evans went into to stall mode. some of you guys dont think. not travis. why the heck would travis start stalling when hes losing by six. come on use your head.

No wrestler was stalling in that match! it was exciting, Evans handled Sullivan for over 5 minutes and made 1 mistake, and Sullivan had the Endurance to pull it together and stick him. I admire Sullivan for keeping his cool and wrestling ALL six minutes. I will say i hope these two meet up next year. Fireworks!

Derek Nickel was great, but MOW? How technical is he compared to Mitch Ervin, Johnny Wolsiefer, Bryan Peace, Courtney? He was the shocker of the tourney, and the biggest surprise, but the MOW isn't who defied the most odds to win state, it's who won state in most impressive manner. If you want to judge scores it should Reid or Sullivan ( both 3pins, 1tech, and 1 dec) or maybe Zarth who only had two points scored on him the WHOlE tourney. Not taking from Derek Nickel, i'm glad Doss got a champ, and congrats to him. Just understand MOW is MOST outstanding wrestler, not just AN outstanding wrestler.

My personal vote is stretched between Ervin and Zarth.

I thought alot were deserving, so many talented kids in the finals!

IMO, Mitch Ervin is the MOW, he looked great against as tough an opponent (Pat Banks) as anyone had in the finals plus he had the pressure of the team title to think about, no pressure there, haha. He came through in a big big way! 

Guest wrestler 007

let me get this right Nickle MOW maybe lets see;

he pinned his first two opponents

beat the 2nd ranked wrestler 10-3

beat the 9th ranked wrestler 8-3

beat the 3rd ranked wrestler 10-4

sounds pretty impressive to me.

But wasn't the MOW already awarded. Did Ervin win it. Everybody that won could have people saying they should have been awarded the MOW but only one is given out and it went to ERVIN so enough done about grt. I am sure everyone that won is happy and not that mad or sad they didn't get MOW. I to the best of my knowledge the awrd and the tournament is over and no body can take the MOW away. So let it be.

Were it not for Mitch Ervin's win in the finals, Union Co. wouldn't have had enough points to win the team title. Not only was that an outstanding win individually, but clinching his team's championship with the 1st place points gives this young man the undisputed outstanding wrestler of the tournament honors.

What a class act!! Union County, we are humbled by the sportsmanship and honor you have brought to our beloved sport. The way that the Ervins continue to give back to wreslting and their community is nothing short of majestic. You are an inspiration. Thank you!!!!

going into the finals Union County had 144 pts, North Hardin had 129.5 pts, Woodford had 127 pts. with N.H. losing both matches in the finals they picked up 0 pts, Woodford has 3 finalist H.C. major dec pick up 1 pt + 4 more for 1st, Starks & Byrd wins were close no extra pts but 4+4 for 1st that gave them 140 pts, so even if Mitch would have lost UNION would have still BEAT Woodford

going into the finals Union County had 144 pts, North Hardin had 129.5 pts, Woodford had 127 pts. with N.H. losing both matches in the finals they picked up 0 pts, Woodford has 3 finalist H.C. major dec pick up 1 pt + 4 more for 1st, Starks & Byrd wins were close no extra pts but 4+4 for 1st that gave them 140 pts, so even if Mitch would have lost UNION would have still BEAT Woodford

yeah i was going to point that out, you beat me to it. in my opininion voth could have also gotten the mow by going undefeated the entire season and dominating his finals match. he didnt dominate as much as other people in the finals and others were undefeated, but i will admit, i just like voth. so i guess im a little biased. :-D

Yes Union would have still beat Woodford if Ervin lost but they did not know that at the time.  The team scores when Ervin started wrestling were 140 Union 132 Woodford (Courtney had already won).

If Ervin would have lost and both starks and Byrd pinned there would have been a tie for 1st. Both Starks and Byrd earning 4 placement points for 1st and 2 extra points each for a pin. 144 Union 144 Woodford. 

When Ervin won he clinched the sole title for Union.