Sign in to follow this  
High C

Region Placer, State Champ

I was just wondering does anybody know when the last time someone won state but did not win their region or has it ever happened at all? Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

I have seen it happen several times. Two instances that comes to mind are Josh Stepp from Sheldon Clark as a senior, and Luke Metzker from Henry Clay as a Freshman.

Stepp was manhandled by John Gentry in the Regional Finals in 99 and then won state and took MOW. Gentry was sick at state and took 5th, but give credit to Stepp for stepping it up. I think Gentry was ranked in the top 10 in the nation that yr. and took 5th in the state.

also if i can remember correctly Rusty Parks from Woodford County(who had some of the best technique this state has ever seen) lost to Henry Clay's Tyler Sexton in the finals of the region 7 tournament and then came back and won state.   

Luke Metzger won it after losing to Billy Clark in Regional Finals as mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure but I believe the following Doug Upchurch of Wayne County won it after losing to Billy Clark in Region.  Clark had appendicitis and didn't get to compete at state that year.  He won it the following year.

1990 Danny Davis Fort Knox was 4th in his region.  Ended up 2 time state champ. 90,91

Really, I didn't realize that.  It's hard to imagine him getting 4th in region; he was a beast.

kyle cooper lost to a kid from scott then beat him in the finals

It seems as if all coopers are destined to win state.  They really know how to step it up for the big tournament.

Luke Metzger won it after losing to Billy Clark in Regional Finals as mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure but I believe the following Doug Upchurch of Wayne County won it after losing to Billy Clark in Region.  Clark had appendicitis and didn't get to compete at state that year.  He won it the following year.

Upchurch was injured and actually got fourth at region that year.  He moved up to a third seed when Clark went out with appendicitis.