CCFullerHWT

Best Coaches In Kentucky Wrestling History

how could anybody say anyone other than Rusty Parks and Joe Carr they are the best ever in this state and two of the best in the nation there is no competition for them. they take weak little boys and turn them into men and teach them things that they will need in the real world. the only person that will come close will be little Joe Carr who will be tearing this state apart for many years to come.

I think a really good coach would be Coach Mike "Loader" Thomas of Union Co. He led his team to 3 state titles and many state champions. I'm not sure if he started the program but Union hadn't had a team for too long before when he won his state title. He coached a few greats like Robert Ervin (2x champ and MOW) and Tim Ervin (both now assistants at Union), James Smith 6x state qualifier and multiple champ/ runner up, Brad Hagedorn state champ and recently named middle school coach of the year at the state tourny. He also coached Danny Lovell, a 2x champ who started back the program at Henderson Co. 3 years ago. Back then Union had to match against Hoptown when Hoptown was a powerhouse. Starting from nothing to creating a dynasty which is getting back to how it was in the late 70's and early 80's, Loader Thomas IMO should be given credit as a great coach.

Coach Hitchings brought the FC boys together, and got them to stick together. But i believe coach Hall creates well rounded wrestlers (top, bottom, neutral etc) and credits due more to him for molding the guys into better wrestlers from every position. I also think Coach Hall is probably one of the most ethical and honorable coaches in the state.

Here is name from past - Jack Jacobs at Waggener had quite a good team for allot of years in the 70's and early 80's.  I would not put as the best of all times by any means - but "back in the day"  they produced some pretty good teams - and few champs (including a repeat).  For a what was then a smaller public school it was an accomplishment.

I'm going to weigh in here with the 2 coaches I know best, Jay McChord and Chris McCoy from Lafayette. Jay had an incredible vision for his wrestlers as people and citizens, not just wrestlers. He clearly demonstrated his concern for academics and personal growth. I was overwhelmed when he took his team to a "Protocol and Etiquette Banquet" at the Georgetown/Bengals training facility. Another year he had his guys dress for dinner at a retirement home and spend an evening with senior citizens - all incredible growth moments for his team members.  Coach McCoy was an assistant during those years and he has grasped that vision - I wish all coaches would realize that the physical skills gained are only temporary (think about all the overweight, out-of-shape, crippled ex-wrestlers you see!), but the discipline, maturity, teamsmanship and positive attitude last forever!  Those are the things that are truly meaningful.

It's great to have kids that are winning consistently, but I'm most proud of our wrestlers when they lose with grace and dignity and can keep their head held high knowing they did their best.  Those are the real winners in life...

I'm going to weigh in here with the 2 coaches I know best, Jay McChord and Chris McCoy from Lafayette. Jay had an incredible vision for his wrestlers as people and citizens, not just wrestlers. He clearly demonstrated his concern for academics and personal growth. I was overwhelmed when he took his team to a "Protocol and Etiquette Banquet" at the Georgetown/Bengals training facility. Another year he had his guys dress for dinner at a retirement home and spend an evening with senior citizens - all incredible growth moments for his team members.  Coach McCoy was an assistant during those years and he has grasped that vision - I wish all coaches would realize that the physical skills gained are only temporary (think about all the overweight, out-of-shape, crippled ex-wrestlers you see!), but the discipline, maturity, teamsmanship and positive attitude last forever!  Those are the things that are truly meaningful.

It's great to have kids that are winning consistently, but I'm most proud of our wrestlers when they lose with grace and dignity and can keep their head held high knowing they did their best.  Those are the real winners in life...

Every team has "special" stories to tell about how great and caring their coaches are.  That's why these guys are coaches because they care about the growth and maturity of young men (and a few women).  So with that in mind lets just look at who has enstilled those qualities in their wrestlers and at the same time experienced success in the sport.  Only a few coaches mentioned meet that criteria and, in my eyes, are the greatest. I'm not taking personal shots at who you mentioned, it just needs to be said that EVERY coach cares about what their kids do and act after they leave the wrestling room.

You guys are crazy to say parks and carr the some of the best in that nation... Not even in the top 50 programs/coaches in the nation. There dominating in kentucky and probably with out a doubt the best duo the state has seen probably ever. Some are touching on it but what about the older guys? NCC use to have a great program years back. All of woodford county supports wrestling as its main sport. Its hard to do that now a days, espically find a whole community that supports wrestling as strongly as they do down there in woodford.

Hasbeen are you from Woodford? I dont think so because if you were youd realize that as pitiful as a basketball team as we have that is the most pushed sport here. the wrestling team is by far not one of the biggest fan supported teams we have here and if you knew anything about what you speak of you would also know that Coach Parks has TWICE been named NATIONAL coach of the year.In case you didnt know, that means the whole country not just Kentucky.So Im pretty sure it would be safe to say they might have a clue about wrestling.

I would say a coach that is vastly underated and that has great capacity to teach and help many wrestlers to become champions is Coach Simmons who is now the Dixie Heights coach.  I think in a few years, they could be a state contending team thanks to him.

You guys are crazy to say parks and carr the some of the best in that nation... Not even in the top 50 programs/coaches in the nation. There dominating in kentucky and probably with out a doubt the best duo the state has seen probably ever. Some are touching on it but what about the older guys? NCC use to have a great program years back. All of woodford county supports wrestling as its main sport. Its hard to do that now a days, espically find a whole community that supports wrestling as strongly as they do down there in woodford.

You might want to give the coaches a little credit for the support that they get from the community.

Hey p. daddy think you could send me a link about Carr or Parks being National Coach of the Year?? I looked on USA Wrestling Magazine page and couldnt find anything, and i also hit up WIN Magazine and another web page and couldnt find anything..And i checked at National High School Coaches Assosiation and they weren't on there as well. As a matter of fact they have been a functioning organization since 2000 and Carr and Parks are no where on that list as well...I'm not saying your wrong i would just like to see it to believe it. And dont get me wrong i'm not saying that Carr and Parks aren't great coaches, i'm just not saying there top notch best coaches in the nation. Probably not even top 25 in the Southeast! But they get my respect, as does every coach out there. Parks and Carr duo, is the best around no doubt about it.

and ps i never said they had no clue about wrestling... come on meow, we dont need to start putting words into others mouth do we?? its a friendly website.

Woodford County had 38 state champions during Parks' tenure. Parks won 582 dual matches -- which ranks among the top 15 in the nation -- and 107 tournaments, which is No. 4 nationally.

I'd say that is enough to claim Parks and Carr are the best Ky has ever had. Plus two WC wrestlers are the winningest wrestlers of all time (Joe Carr 242 wins, Ian Horn 236 wins).

Thats very impressive...like i said he and carr are the best in the state, but i'm sticking to my claim that there still not the top coaches in the nation. But none the less there amazing coaches and have dominated kentucky in the years past.

Thats very impressive...like i said he and carr are the best in the state, but i'm sticking to my claim that there still not the top coaches in the nation. But none the less there amazing coaches and have dominated kentucky in the years past.

Earlier you said they deserve absolutely NO mention of national recognition, the stats show diff. Nobody said they were THE top coaches in the nation, just that they are as close to that as anyone in KY has ever been.

I think that the Woodford Coaching duo is nationally recognized by those who have a good knowledge of high school coaching. If you ask the sportswriters who specialize in wrestling they will be familiar with the Woodford program and the coaches and their accomplishments here in KY. Most wrestling fans knowledgeable in the sports history are well aware of the Carr family in the sport. I think that counts as national recognition!

Congrats to the Woodford coaches!