refdad

sad day

It is a sad day for me. I just got W.I.N. magazines high school preview issue. They give their national rankings as well as a state by state breakdown of best school and wrestler in the state. They have Jacob Murton listed as our best wrestler and Woodford as our best school but no one.....yes, no one was nationally ranked from KY..Maybe a few guys can crack their top 20 before seasons end.

Guest DAWG6
It is a sad day for me. I just got W.I.N. magazines high school preview issue. They give their national rankings as well as a state by state breakdown of best school and wrestler in the state. They have Jacob Murton listed as our best wrestler and Woodford as our best school but no one.....yes' date=' no one was nationally ranked from KY..Maybe a few guys can crack their top 20 before seasons end.[/quote']

Your absolutely right, it is a sad day for KY wrestling.

And their is a simple reason why :!:

How many of the KY states top three place finishers in each weight class wrestled at national events :roll:

The Murtons, Ruschell and a few others have. Until the KY kids start going to national events and placing, KY isn't going to get much notice. We have numerous kids with talent. But, how many of them go to the list of events below :?: Very few :!:

Junior-Cadet National Freestyle, Greco-Roman Championships

Kids Freestyle, Greco Roman Championships

FILA Cadet/Junior Championships - FS, GR

USAW Cadet/Junior/Kids National Folkstyle Championships

Middle School Folkstyle Duals

National Junior/Cadet Championships - FS/GR

Kids National Championships - FS/GR

Junior Dual National Championships - FS/GR

Not to mention the AAU events.

Most of our kids, stay right here and get no notice :(

Dawg: True. Very true. I may be 100 percent wrong here , but I think that is because no one here wants to loose. Rather than schools as well as kids on there own seeking out compitition from other states and maybe loosing we would rather just stay here in our own state and not be beat...What does everyone else think about this theory? True or not true??

No offense but havent we discussed this topic about 10 times on this site already?
10 times? maybe two for myself since I have been on here, but certainly not 10. If you want to go there the only things I see being run in the ground is the (woodford is the greatest or the everyone else hates woodford thing).Anyway....way to go Lawrence Co..Good luck and I salute you guys!!

Amen refdad. Couldn't agree more.

I see the rankings being right, unfortunately, i don't know that there's anyone who deserves to be in the rankings for 9-12 combined. That includes Murton ... he didn't place at Fargo (great showing though). To get ranked, you'd not only have to place once ... but do it consistently.

Don't be discourage by not having Kentucky wrestlers ranked nationally. I know the Kentucky wrestlers are working hard & they will get the respect nationally. Keep up the hard work & the Kentucky wrestlers will get there. Have faith. It will happen.

10 times? maybe two for myself since I have been on here, but certainly not 10.

Refdad,

Didnt mean to offend, just seems like we have numerous threads discussing why KY kids not ranked and that leads to KY not being as good as other states and then how those states are so dominant and then how many kids one state has relative to another, etc..... tends to turn into a bashing of KY!

Cool to hear J. Murton will be at the Beast, I think he will do very well, GOOD LUCK!

Eville Dad, I'm not bashing KY.. I Love our state and I am proud to be from here. I guess when someone post a topic and others start to give their imput ,I start wondering (typing) why we have a certain problem and how to solve it, and so you may be right in the fact that some of the same explinations keep poping their head up time and time again.I would like nothing better than for more youth clubs to start here as well as middle school and high schools to travel and compete more against schools out of state and eventually to allways have five or six kids ranked nationally but untill then I guess we will have to keep hoping and talk about how to get there..

You could also take note of what I've said before that the only way to get our wrestlers to be motivated and want to go is not chewing them out in the preseason or season,but to encourage them throughout the entire year and let them know they can do it.

1.Alot of them hear what their state says about them and it was all last year the Best wrestlers and only ones to be able to compete is Ruschelle,Murtons and thats it and then you all say maybe starks and scherer, well on a young mind thats just going to make them think,well maybe those guys are the only good ones that can do it,so maybe I shouldnt even bother,whether I work hard or not,its called reverse psychology. :wink:

2.Send brochures to all the homes of ranked kentucky wrestlers and let them know about Nationals or any other good tournament.

3.Confidence and Respect-Give it everyday,they have to believe they are good enough,and it starts with you, everybody has the potential,and it will not come from headbusting everybody who isnt winning state but are working their asses off

4.Dont eliminate individuals because they dont have good enough technique or strength,thats just telling them they wouldnt be good enough to use what they are good at or what they got at Fargo,Nationals,JuniorOlympics or wherever.

5.Constructive Criticism-If your going to chew one of your OWN wrestlers from your OWN state out because they dont wrestle like,A Brad Cooper,Luke Metzker,Isaac Knable,Jacob Murton,or whoever,make them feel good about it and be positive.

Sorry guys I know I'm only 19 but I have common sense and I do know what I'm talking about,but getting our guys ready is going to take something more than "Ok,guys Wrestle hard and Practice hard" It's going to take alot more than that,and we got it,we just have to do it.

Do I have a point?

Also I know I'm going and going on and on,but have you wondered why alot of the 2005 Seniors didnt go to Senior Nationals,its not just because they werent invited but they werent encouraged or motivated and the tournament was not advertised to them,and all year it was a competition to be better than Kyle,Taylor,Richard, or Jacob all fine wrestlers but if you'd give that much energy to the UNDERRATED WRESTLERS! It would spark them up to go out there and do it,How do you get a fish to go out there and wrestle a state champion without being worried,The coach usually tells them,You have nothing to lose,Go out there and just have fun and wrestle,WHY NOT???It ends in College and then you have to be serious and fun isnt there anymore! Some of the best Seniors last year in the country won from confidence and went there with a attitude that "I can do it" and alot of them werent overrated wrestlers,How do I know this,look at Ohio for an example Do you think there is one wrestler standing out as a overrated wrestler,No because the whole State knows how there boys can do and gets all of there heads pumped up,here is your table

Ohio

Most likely a State that doesnt care who is in there way,they will win,and they dont chew there guys out because they have that thing called Faith

Kentucky(our ole kentucky home)

"Well we dont have any guys in kentucky like Joe Carr" "Woodford couldnt beat Mater Dai"(Which in reality maybe not,but whoever said there was something wrong with saying they are good enough to do it not because they are 15 or whatever time state champions,or that they have alot of cocky fans,but because they are supposed to be the team that holds the glue for our state)"I only see two wrestlers placing at nationals from kentucky,Jacob Murton and Kyle Ruschelle""Are you kidding Starks couldnt win nationals" All of that negative vibe is alot of the reason why none of our guys will bother to go,or even believe they can go. Whoever thought Kyle Ruschelle who only won state twice and was runner up once(In that supposely WEAK STATE of KENTUCKY) and has never won any big tournaments other than that would go to Senior Nationals and place 3rd, noone wouldve never guessed that or would say he wouldve came that close,now if that wasnt a sign, then what was, but with alittle more than Work,you can do anything,REMEMBER WRESTLING IS MORE MENTAL,SO Why do we keep saying you have to just work hard to get there.

Think About It,Believe It,Try It