Sign in to follow this  
PAPPY HAPPY

Outstanding Wrestler

In my opinion, it is Shaquille Cox (124) from LaRue. He is undefeated and has dominated everyone he has wrestled. His closest match was against the Evansville Mater Dei kid, that he beat 10-3.

7th Grader JJ Jude is tough this year. He nearly stuck Ross-Carpenter.

I've also heard Shaquille is a beast. What grade is he in?

Shaquille Cox is really tough.  The only KY wrestler I've seen come close to beating him is John Lampe of Fern Creek.  Lampe is an animal.  I think the only KY wrestler to beat him this year is Cox.  State could be interesting!!

John Fahy (82?) looks unbeatable by anyone in KY.  He's awesome. 

Shaquille Cox is really tough.  The only KY wrestler I've seen come close to beating him is John Lampe of Fern Creek.  Lampe is an animal.  I think the only KY wrestler to beat him this year is Cox.  State could be interesting!!

John Fahy (82?) looks unbeatable by anyone in KY.  He's awesome. 

Tom Shirey from Crosby Middle beat Lampe 3-o this year at crosbys dual with fern creek

That "dual" at Eastern was practice.  How did he do against Lampe yesterday at East Oldham?  Zack Byrd showed up yesterday and beat Lampe in the finals.  Where's he been all season?  Wondering if he'll stick with 124 for regionals.

I saw a few kids that looked impressive at the Fern Creek Tourney.

John Lampe is looking good and working very hard, improving everyday!

What about Brent Hitchings, Trinity, 96lbs, dominant?

John Fahy, YKC, 82lbs has to be considered!

Caleb Ervin, Union, 117lbs looks very good too!

Vince Staten, Hvy, McCreary, looks very good!

Larue has 3 kids undefeated in Cox, Ray & Newberry.

Also the Rock kid with only 1 lose.

They completly dominated at State Duals

The other 185's were avioding LaRue's kid(Newberry) & then the one that did wrestle him got a broken leg in 5 seconds.

That "dual" at Eastern was practice.  How did he do against Lampe yesterday at East Oldham?  Zack Byrd showed up yesterday and beat Lampe in the finals.  Where's he been all season?  Wondering if he'll stick with 124 for regionals.

Shirey didnt go to east oldham he wrestled at the Big East with th ehigh school team, so ur saying since it was a practice dual that lampe didn't try? that doesnt seem like as great a wrestler as your sayin he is if he didnt care to win or not just because he knew there would be no results on paper.

I have no idea how hard he "tried," but you know that sometimes in practice duals or scrimmages they try different moves or something they've been practicing, and no, if it's not on paper (in other words, not a scored thing where they get team points and fight to a final) it doesn't really matter if he won a match or not.  Guys get beat in practice all the time by guys who might not beat them in a real, scored situation.  That's all I was saying. 

Yup, eville Dad, I'm with you on both Brent and Caleb.  Brent is my favorite wrestler to watch. 

The way everyone is talking abot Zack Salyers I cannot wait to see him wrestle for the first time since last year..  They make him sound Invincible!!  Region 4 here we come..

Lol no hes just a good kid and works very hard......no ones saying that its just that Agie skeens seems alot tougher a tournament than state but this kid was the first to win Grundy from his school state champs have went there and barely placed in the top 6.....

but yea well see

Lol no hes just a good kid and works very hard......no ones saying that its just that Agie skeens seems alot tougher a tournament than state but this kid was the first to win Grundy from his school state champs have went there and barely placed in the top 6.....

but yea well see

In the past, I would agree with you. However, competition at the Grundy tournament has dropped drastically. Only a few years ago, there was 6 RETURNING state champions at the 160 weight class from the year before. You don't see that kind of competition at this tournament anymore. I'm not trying to take away anything from anyone, however, that is a fact.

Cox and Byrd have not wrestled this season.  Byrd wrestled at 131 at the conference tournament and faced LaRue's 131.  LaRue's 131 took him down three or four times and had a 8-3 lead or something like that in the third period (Byrd's only points it seems like came from LaRue's kid letting him up to take him down again) and caught him in a reverse cradle and then pinned Byrd.

From what I am told, Cox dominates LaRue's 131 in practice on both the mat and especially on his feet.

Take it for what it is worth.  Cox is a monster on his feet, quick and VERY strong.

Personally I can't wait to see the Byrd/Cox matchup at the state tournament this year. I do think Byrd will maintain his 124# weight. They both have similar styles from what I have seen. When both are confident in the match they can handily beat their opponents, they try to tech them, just for the fun of it. Should be a very good matchup. I must admit, I do like to watch Cox do his stuff, he is an excellent wrestler and a nice guy. How do you see the 140# weight class shaping up? Any standouts or sleepers?

I'm new to the whole middle school wrestling, but some very impressive wrestlers that i have seen so far would be:

Lane Jones

Matt and John Fafy- the two most dominating kids in the state

Garth Yenter- Probably best kid in northern kentucky

Lampe of Fern Creek

SO thats just a few kids i've seen this year that are really freaking dominating and outstanding... Hopefully these kids get rewarded for their performances down at state...

Zach Byrd broke his colar bone on vacation, no matter wut though im a 100% sure Byrd Man will show Cox how to wrestle, this kid now how to wrestle, and im sure he will make weight for state this year, that kids eyes got really big when he saw thoes sweat medals

I think Caleb Ervin is a beast. His only loss came to a tough guy from Mater Dei (Simms) who is ranked nationally amongst moddle schoolers. He practices with varsity guys like Adam Carr, Jarvis Elam, and Aaron Carr everyday and hangs with all of them if not beat them.