Sign in to follow this  
Teresa Baker

Big East Tourney

dakota pulled a muscle in his neck....hopefully he will be back full strength at the trojan so we can see him and tye...although i dont see anything differnt happening this time

The Scoring team was

103:Austin Dicken

112:Russell Nyitrai

119:Roderick Shoulders

125:Chris Downs

130:Blake Kraft

135:Justin Davis

140:Ryan Clark

145:Mikal McNeely

152:Phil Harrison

160:empty

171:Ben Rupp

189:empty

215:Jake Hillard

285:Tyler Beckett

so luna wasnt on the scoring team?

Who left in the ambulance??? Someone said it was a Holmes kid. Its kinda hard to tell since they only have about 4 on the team anyway.

Yes it was Holmes overwieght 112 wrestling 119. (Brandon Wren)

He was hurt duing a match, was knocked out.  Will spend another nigth at Childrens Hospital in Lou.  Hopefully will be able to come home Monday. 

Has had 2 MRI's on his head and neck.  Can't move his neck without help. 

They think (hope) he just pulled ligaments in his neck, may need surgery on the ligaments though.  Will be out for the season.  They are still uncertain.

Added to this his family had a car accident getting to Lou from Nky Sat.

If he spends another night I going down to visit him.

Yea. I think he completely deserves whatever punishment he recieves but it still kind of sucks to see a good wrestler like him get held back by himself.

Guest wrestler92

Yes it was Holmes overwieght 112 wrestling 119. (Brandon Wren)

He was hurt duing a match, was knocked out.  Will spend another nigth at Childrens Hospital in Lou.  Hopefully will be able to come home Monday. 

Has had 2 MRI's on his head and neck.  Can't move his neck without help. 

They think (hope) he just pulled ligaments in his neck, may need surgery on the ligaments though.  Will be out for the season.  They are still uncertain.

Added to this his family had a car accident getting to Lou from Nky Sat.

If he spends another night I going down to visit him.

I was going to ask this same question today.  I saw them leaving right after one of our kids got hurt and was joking it was for him.  I hope he is allright and no surgery involved, just maybe sprained.  Any idea how it happened?  Bad luck or bad move or slam? 

if davis was on the scoring team then why was the other eastern 135 from eastern seeded? the seeding looked very odd to me.and would someone please tell me how nickel from doss got the three seed when he beat baker just a couple weeks before?i understand the whole theory of win it on the mat.but if these kids already earn it on the mat then i think they should be given their respect. just another reason why these closed seeding meetings are bogus.doss had a good 119 that won a few matches at toc and he draws luna right out of the gates...come on.now he cant do any better than seventh. makes me wonder 

that luna punk needs to be barred from wrestling the way he acted at the tournament, cussing coaches, swinging at coaches, trying to fight aaron carr, that PUNKS got major problems and it should be dealt with sooner than later

if davis was on the scoring team then why was the other eastern 135 from eastern seeded? the seeding looked very odd to me.and would someone please tell me how nickel from doss got the three seed when he beat baker just a couple weeks before?i understand the whole theory of win it on the mat.but if these kids already earn it on the mat then i think they should be given their respect. just another reason why these closed seeding meetings are bogus.doss had a good 119 that won a few matches at toc and he draws luna right out of the gates...come on.now he cant do any better than seventh. makes me wonder 

What other eastern 135 are u talking about i am pretty sure we only had davis at 135

that luna punk needs to be barred from wrestling the way he acted at the tournament, cussing coaches, swinging at coaches, trying to fight aaron carr, that PUNKS got major problems and it should be dealt with sooner than later

Thanks for your observation we already all agreed on that without calling anyone a punk though

Guest wrestler92

Yea that's what I was wondering, it seemed odd that some of the unseeded kids ended up being on the scoring team, but oh well....those kids did good.  Davis might turnout to be a good wrestler if he would learn a couple moves and not just rely on his strength and speed....He does need to try and stay away from the face though, that's how he ended up beating the North Hardin kid.  He must have poked him in the eye 5 or 6 times while they were neutral.....he has some good potential though.

Yea that's what I was wondering, it seemed odd that some of the unseeded kids ended up being on the scoring team, but oh well....those kids did good.  Davis might turnout to be a good wrestler if he would learn a couple moves and not just rely on his strength and speed....He does need to try and stay away from the face though, that's how he ended up beating the North Hardin kid.  He must have poked him in the eye 5 or 6 times while they were neutral.....he has some good potential though.

I doubt he won the match just because of that. also just for everybody's information coach coomes is not on these seeding commitees

Dragonballz,

Surely the Doss coach was at the seeding meeting and perhaps he told Nickel why he got the third seed?  I don't know why Nickel got the third seed.  Maybe it was based on record and common opponents.  I don't know.  Baker lost by one to Nickel at the KOB, but Baker had beaten Griggs from Union County and Meisner from Southern.   Meisner has beaten Nickel.   Griggs got the 2 seed. Maybe Griggs from Union County has beaten Nickel and it was one of those situations that each had beaten each other and so they went with their overall records.  Don't know for sure, but sounds reasonable.

Dragonballz,

Surely the Doss coach was at the seeding meeting and perhaps he told Nickel why he got the third seed?  I don't know why Nickel got the third seed.  Maybe it was based on record and common opponents.  I don't know.  Baker lost by one to Nickel at the KOB, but Baker had beaten Griggs from Union County and Meisner from Southern.   Meisner has beaten Nickel.   Griggs got the 2 seed. Maybe Griggs from Union County has beaten Nickel and it was one of those situations that each had beaten each other and so they went with their overall records.  Don't know for sure, but sounds reasonable.

well it was all put to rest on the mat...nickel pinned griggs(first time they have wrestled)...and beat baker by more than one point(11-6 i believe).

I was going to ask this same question today.  I saw them leaving right after one of our kids got hurt and was joking it was for him.  I hope he is allright and no surgery involved, just maybe sprained.  Any idea how it happened?  Bad luck or bad move or slam? 

I went down and visited him today at Children's in Lou.  He will need to stay another two days and get more X-rays and MRI's.  He is having trouble moving his arms without neck pain. 

He will need have physical Therapy hopefully starting in 2 days.  Not sure if he will get to transfer to either a Nky hospital or Cincy hospital though.

His mother is staying with him in Lou. at Children's.  He claims that he will be at practice on Monday, truth is he is probably out for the season, 99% certain of this.

He came down hard on the mat, wasn't called a slam.  Was one of those border line moves.  If it was called a slam no one would argue, if not called a slam none will argue.  Bottom line is regardless of the call it was an accident and none was trying to hurt anyone.  Just one of the risks we take when we wrestle.

I have seen the same move hundreds of times with no injury, this time it was just a fluke accident.

Mrs. Baker,

The Doss coaches were not at the seeding meeting b/c they were not invited.  Not all coaches were invited, only a select few.  This is a topic that we had previously discussed last week.  The same thing happened at the JCTC.  Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, the criteria they use, as previously stated by thegreatgatsby is 1) winning record, 2) head to head meetings & 3) common opponents.  They usually do not have to go much beyond that.  Well Derek had a winning record & did beat Matt earlier this year.  Regardless of by how much, he did beat him.  He never faced Griggs before Saturday.  He is ranked higher than both Baker and Griggs in the Ranger Rankings  on this site and the KWCA rankings, which are done by Eastern's coach.  As for him losing to Travis, yes you are correct but he also beat Travis this year, so that is a push.  When the Doss coaches inquired as to why Derek was seeded lower than both Griggs and Baker, the answer they recieved and I quote "we didn't have enough time to look at everything".  That also must be why Dakoda Choate was seeded lower than Ty Wolfe.  Dakoda had two losses this year and they were both to Wolseifer.  In addition, he beat Wolfe on the Wednesday before the Eastern tournament.  I'm not complaining about any of this, I'm just stating facts.  Regardless, it was all put to rest Saturday when Nickel won.  I wish Dakoda would have had the opportunity to face Wolfe.  I also wish Dakoda a safe and speedy recovery and hope your son is recovering from his illness.  I wish him the best.

pridewrestler,

I can somewhat see your point.  However, if Nickel beat Baker and Baker beat Griggs and Griggs and Nickel had never met before Saturday, I would still think that through process of elimination and a little logic, Nickel gets the 1 seed.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If you were presented with that information and also knew that Nickel was ranked higher in both Ranger's Rankings and the KWCA rankings (done by Eastern's coach), than either Griggs or Baker, how would you have seeded them?  Like I said, I'm not complaining, just wondering. 

A great coach once said

People make mistakes and people are allowed to make mistakes,its only human,but what you do next is what matters the most

For you whom dont know and are just talking about some rumor you heard,Luna went back into the gym afterwards to say sorry to both Coach Ervin and the carrs and aaron carr,I know it because I went to his coach before luna did and said sorry for him before he did it,and there was no bad blood,just a high school sophmore acting like a high school sophomore,not a suprise

The Ervins are good people and good wrestlers and they showed nothing but respect after luna carried hisself that way when I spoke with them,so its over

Ole boy has alot of growing up to do as well as alot of us did in high school and afterwards,his behavior was unacceptable and honestly he shouldve been kicked off for good,but everyone deserves another chance,wouldnt you want one?

Hell even college wrestlers mess up and are allowed back on the team time after time,definetly when theyre a state champion,their screw up's is unseen and unheard and they still live 2 see tomorrow

A great coach once said

People make mistakes and people are allowed to make mistakes,its only human,but what you do next is what matters the most

For you whom dont know and are just talking about some rumor you heard,Luna went back into the gym afterwards to say sorry to both Coach Ervin and the carrs and aaron carr,I know it because I went to his coach before luna did and said sorry for him before he did it,and there was no bad blood,just a high school sophmore acting like a high school sophomore,not a suprise

The Ervins are good people and good wrestlers and they showed nothing but respect after luna carried hisself that way when I spoke with them,so its over

Ole boy has alot of growing up to do as well as alot of us did in high school and afterwards,his behavior was unacceptable and honestly he shouldve been kicked off for good,but everyone deserves another chance,wouldnt you want one?

Hell even college wrestlers mess up and are allowed back on the team time after time,definetly when theyre a state champion,their screw up's is unseen and unheard and they still live 2 see tomorrow

Sure you can apologize for your behavior.  And I think as kids it is expected that this a learning experience.  I think part of the opinions expressed here are based on the fact that this is not the first time Luna has behaved immaturely so people become less forgiving. 

Dragonmaster,

To be honest, I was surprised when I got to the gym to see that Matt had the #1 seed instead of Nickel.  We are not used to North Hardin getting any breaks.  You would think it would be an open invite for seeding meeting for all coaches involved in the tourney, that were able to make the trip down the night before.  I'm not sure what Nickel's record was, but I guess if they were going with winning records first, Matt's was 32-4 prior to the Big East.  You got to beat the best to be the best and Nickel looked great on Saturday.  I thought Doss was going to the Trojan Invitational, but i think I am mistaken.  Do you know if Doss will be at State Duals?  If not, then I guess Nickel and Matt won't meet again until State, if their paths cross.  Thanks for your well wishes on Matt's health.  He had to leave school early today, is pushing fluids, taking antibiotics, and resting for the big match up against Larue County  tomorrow night.  Thanks goodness he isn't cutting weight this year.  I'm a health care provider, and it always  cracks me up when wrestlers refuse IV fluids because of fears of weight gain.  It happens more often than you might think.