Sign in to follow this  
REscalera

Super 32

1 hour ago, REscalera said:

Very true!!!!!  Off-season doesn't mean take off from wrestling 

I have always told my young wrestlers; there is no off season. The ones that have taken it to heart and continuously seeked out difficult competition year round have been successful, and the others have not. 

On December 12, 2017 at 10:42 AM, REscalera said:

Yes.

20171212_103805.png

So what is this chart saying? I'm confused? Saying KY is good or bad? Did Zeke leave Kentucky for better competition?

50 minutes ago, Notorious said:

So what is this chart saying? I'm confused? Saying KY is good or bad? Did Zeke leave Kentucky for better competition?

This was in response to someone asking how KY compared to states our size.  As you can see, there a several states smaller than us that have more success than us.  

As for Zeke, he did leave KY.  He's at Wyoming Seminary in PA now.  The competition is pretty high up there but wrestling wasn't the driving factor.  Union County wrestling has a great track record of getting wrestlers to the next level and Zeke was getting national recognition already. It was the educational opportunities that a college prep school like Sem has to offer.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, REscalera said:

This was in response to someone asking how KY compared to states our size.  As you can see, there a several states smaller than us that have more success than us.  

It was in response to my question. 

Which this chart still did not answer the question.  Are you saying that there are no states larger that have less success than Ky?  And how is success being measured?  Just by looking at this chart tells me nothing.  I think maybe one state has more success, but I'm not sure.  If one exceptionally talented and wealthy (because that what it takes to travel) kid is successful in a state does that make them better than us?  I am certain that Ky has has success in the past, Ruschell, Meyers, Ervins, Carr, ................

I'm all for Ky having success outside of KY. If that is what the kid wants.  But don't criticize those at don't have the means or family support not to accomplish success elsewhere. 

I've seen both sides of the coin.  Those with the means and support and those without.  There can be success in both, but just saying we have to do something is easy.  There are so many obstacles that many of our wrestlers face outside of wrestling.  I believe we are closing the gap.  As CCMS stated Ky has made great strides in the last 10-15 years.  

Success does not come quickly it takes time.  As I stated in another post it will improve when we have generational wrestling families.  Even that becomes problematic. I know personally I could not put everything needed into what GOO Jr needed to succeed at the highest level.  My family is a wrestling family but not my wives.  We could not make big trips which would use up vacation time because GOO Jr. has a sister and it was not fair to use the family vacation on GOO Jr. 

We can't use the millennial mentality of NOW NOW NOW.  We have to work and gradually get success, which in my opinion Ky is doing.  Are we there yet? No. Do we need to do more yes, but don't expect it to happen tomorrow or even in the next 5 years. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

It was in response to my question. 

Which this chart still did not answer the question.  Are you saying that there are no states larger that have less success than Ky?  And how is success being measured?  Just by looking at this chart tells me nothing.  I think maybe one state has more success, but I'm not sure.  If one exceptionally talented and wealthy (because that what it takes to travel) kid is successful in a state does that make them better than us?  I am certain that Ky has has success in the past, Ruschell, Meyers, Ervins, Carr, ................

Actually it does.  It shows that many states close to us or smaller out perform us.  

Oklahoma, Iowa, Nebraska, West Virginia and Kansas have more success than KY.  Also, over the past 2 years several more of the smaller states had more wrestlers go to Fargo as well  placing higher that KY as a team. In fact 4 of the smallest 5 states have had more wrestle in the cadet fargo tournament than us.

Here's a more telling pic . 1.5 million either way.  7 of the 13 states with a resounding yes.  

As for your comment about "wealthy kid" how do you know the situation of any kid?  How do you know that all the travel that one does is all covered by the kids "rich" parents?  That's a very ignorant statement to say the least.  The more I traveled for my son the more conversations I had with people about how to raise funds to be able to cover the expenses.  It was also a great tool to help our son understand how expensive it is.  He would go door to door and sell candy bars, rake leaves and sell raffle tickets.   So instead of insulting those that found a way to make it happen for their kid(s) the growth and success of KY wrestling would be best served if you stop providing  excuses for those that choose not to and suggest ways for them to be able to do it.  Whether they do or not is their decision. 

Screenshot_20171212-120721.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

OK you win.

I'm to ignorant to understand. 

Calling you're statement ignorant and saying you're too ignorant to understand are 2 different things.  You're statement was very much indeed misinformed. I never said you were too ignorant to understand or lacked the capacity to understand.  

9 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

I'm all for Ky having success outside of KY. If that is what the kid wants.  But don't criticize those at don't have the means or family support not to accomplish success elsewhere. 

I've seen both sides of the coin.  Those with the means and support and those without.  There can be success in both, but just saying we have to do something is easy.  There are so many obstacles that many of our wrestlers face outside of wrestling.  I believe we are closing the gap.  As CCMS stated Ky has made great strides in the last 10-15 years.  

Success does not come quickly it takes time.  As I stated in another post it will improve when we have generational wrestling families.  Even that becomes problematic. I know personally I could not put everything needed into what GOO Jr needed to succeed at the highest level.  My family is a wrestling family but not my wives.  We could not make big trips which would use up vacation time because GOO Jr. has a sister and it was not fair to use the family vacation on GOO Jr. 

We can't use the millennial mentality of NOW NOW NOW.  We have to work and gradually get success, which in my opinion Ky is doing.  Are we there yet? No. Do we need to do more yes, but don't expect it to happen tomorrow or even in the next 5 years. 

The key obsticle this state faces in the off season are the high school Coaches themselves. When rhe wrestling season is over, emails are not answered, request for participation falls on deaf ears, and extra help making things happen is absent. This doesn't apply of course to all of our coaches, but the vast majority of them. Some of them even tell their wrestlers to not participate!

First and foremost we must define what success means to us. Is it what position you stand at on the podium of a particular event, or is it simply to be on it? Do we base it on the % or the # of Ky. wrestlers receiving scholarships? Total # of schools or wrestlers involved in the sport. No......none of these for me thank you. Success for me means how many our children grow into respectful, responsible, compassionate, adults who understand the value of dedication, family, friendships, and hard work. Instead of the all too familiar path of defeatism, drug abuse, crime, and low self esteem. Success is each time a coach, a friend, or family Member helps a kid from taking the wrong path.  I believe you Teachers and coaches out there are saints and I thank you.

Let's face it,  50% of kids who try out for wrestling never make it to varsity H.S. level. of those who do only a small fraction make it to college.    

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, depperschmidt said:

First and foremost we must define what success means to us. Is it what position you stand at on the podium of a particular event, or is it simply to be on it? Do we base it on the % or the # of Ky. wrestlers receiving scholarships? Total # of schools or wrestlers involved in the sport. No......none of these for me thank you. Success for me means how many our children grow into respectful, responsible, compassionate, adults who understand the value of dedication, family, friendships, and hard work. Instead of the all too familiar path of defeatism, drug abuse, crime, and low self esteem. Success is each time a coach, a friend, or family Member helps a kid from taking the wrong path.  I believe you Teachers and coaches out there are saints and I thank you.

Let's face it,  50% of kids who try out for wrestling never make it to varsity H.S. level. of those who do only a small fraction make it to college.    

That's fair but as a whole our state could strive for both..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1