Sign in to follow this  
REscalera

Super 32

3 hours ago, Chris Duke said:

This will be a blast as long as football doesn't get in the way.  Our 8th grade team may be good enough to cause us problems!  

Sure hope that's not the case.  Hehe. It looks like his chance at the belt is as good as any of the KY boys.  Like to see him beat up on some ohio, Georgia  and NY boys and bring home the belt.]

On 9/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, Chris Duke said:

This will be a blast as long as football doesn't get in the way.  Our 8th grade team may be good enough to cause us problems!  

Sounds like the wrestling gods have spoken.  Wrestle he must!!!  They said. 

• Upvote 1

126 Ryan Moore round of 32 up next Nick Moore from Graham JH State champ last year.

138 Trent Johnson round of 32 up next Tyce Freije Indiana 8th place last year.

152 Derrick Smallwood round of 32 up next Gavin Stika preseason Ohio D-3 #1.

After they get through this round it will be ranked kid after ranked kid.  It's time for these young men to go to work.

126 Ryan Moore round of 16 up next Branson Proudlock

138 Trent Johnson round of 16 up next Flo #16 Jaden Abas

152 Derrick Smallwood round of 16 up next  Flo #3 Josiah Rider

Excellent results for these wrestlers stepping up for the challenge...Congrats to Smallwood to Moore making it to the QTRS.  Johnson still banging in the Consis...Best of luck for continued success today!  Impressive showing for Kentucky...low numbers entered compared to the "elite" states...yet 50% of our entries still in the tourney...  Get some today gents!  Good luck to the younger wrestlers today

On 9/24/2017 at 7:14 PM, Ranger123 said:
On 10/28/2017 at 3:59 PM, Chris Duke said:

126 Ryan Moore round of 16 up next Branson Proudlock

138 Trent Johnson round of 16 up next Flo #16 Jaden Abas

152 Derrick Smallwood round of 16 up next  Flo #3 Josiah Rider

Storck got a bad draw, 2nd match he wrestled Busellio, who ended up taking first, and got majored but wrestled well against the now 6 time super 32 champ. For a kid whos wreslted 6 and a half years he did really well. Went 2-2, his last match he lost 3-1 could have gone either way, 1 minute periods are pretty short especially against high quality kids. Good luck this season guys!

Kentucky wrestling needs to close the gap between the other states! Need programs to have open gyms during the summer and invite anyone and everyone out who wants to get better. I KNOW there's some that DO! But we need more participation during the off season. Need some quality coaching from different programs , with different styles. The wrestlers need to be schooled and ready for the challenge!

14 hours ago, Notorious said:

Kentucky wrestling needs to close the gap between the other states! Need programs to have open gyms during the summer and invite anyone and everyone out who wants to get better. I KNOW there's some that DO! But we need more participation during the off season. Need some quality coaching from different programs , with different styles. The wrestlers need to be schooled and ready for the challenge!

The sport is sadly not well understood or recognized by the general population in this state. Ohio, Ind, Penn, and most northern states benefit from the existence of College Universities within the states which support wrestling. Other than a few NAIA schools there are no major D1 level schools south of the Ohio river, except for the east coast. With fewer than 100 high schools in the entire state which supports the sport we will never have the high numbers of quality top level wrestlers which other states enjoy. Sure there are those who excel and move up to the next level, but rarely is there more than 3 wrestlers in each weight class with a realistic chance at capturing a state title. Some counties in Ohio have as many schools wrestling as our entire state! And with more competitive competition week in and week out kids will get better quicker in these locations. Needless to say there are many challenges and obstacles standing in the way of "closing the gap" We will NEVER be what basketball is to Kentucky.

The only hope I have is someday,  the SEC will bring back the sport. Back in the day when I wrestled UK had a team, Joe Carr wrestled there and I have often wondered why they ditched the sport. Was it not bringing in enough money? Was it because it was only a man's sport at the time and therefore not equal between the sexes? Whatever the case, I will still cheer our boys on to victory knowing the mountains they have had to scale to overcome the ineffective support our state has provided them.

• Upvote 2

That's what I'm here for. 

You are right however less schools with wrestling less population, less enthusiasm in the sport are all obstacles that will need to be overcome to "Catch up". Who are we trying to catch? My question is are we that far behind other states our size? 

But I think having 100 schools in ky with wrestling in HUGE.  

Heck in my day the bronze age there may have been 70 schools with wrestling. 

Who knows how many there were in your time DS.  Ya know the stone age.

we are 26th in population that I know. 

Of the surrounding states only WV has less than KY in pop. 

KY 4,500,00

VW 1,800,000

Mizz 6,100 000

Ind. 6,600,000

Tenn 6,700,000

Ohio 11,600,000

Ill. 12,800,000

What are we using as a gauge?  How do we know if we are closing the gap? 

I'm a numbers person give me some data and numbers to use for comparison. 

2 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

we are 26th in population that I know. 

Of the surrounding states only WV has less than KY in pop. 

KY 4,500,00

VW 1,800,000

Mizz 6,100 000

Ind. 6,600,000

Tenn 6,700,000

Ohio 11,600,000

Ill. 12,800,000

What are we using as a gauge?  How do we know if we are closing the gap? 

I'm a numbers person give me some data and numbers to use for comparison. 

Your original question was are we behind states our size.   Here's a list of states 1.5 million above and below us.  We can't deny that we are.  The lowest on the list, Utah, just had an ironman champ this past weekend too.

As for our surrounding states, I've asked myself this question a lot.  How in the world can we be surrounded by so many competitive wrestling states and not be more competitive ourselves?  Are we taking full advantage of the opportunities to wrestle and compete in these states or to attend camps in them?  When we have the chance to do so are we taking full advantage of it?  I say neck no and a perfect example of that is Walton Verona hammers along with every other hammer in the state  not going to ironman.  

Screenshot_20171212-120721.jpg

• Upvote 1

I can't speak for all schools.  Of the three schools that I have been associated with in my year I don't believe any one of them would have allowed them to go to the Ironman tourney especially with only a few of the team members participating. At the very least it would be a 3 1/2 hour trip along with at least one overnight stay. Along with missing school on Friday. I also know that many schools have a millage limit set upon them. 

Schools are unwilling to spend this kind of $$ on a few kids. 

I know the schools in Nky spend most of their season in Ohio, (and have been ridiculed in the past for this). WV is an example going to the GMVA (in Dayton Ohio) along with Simon, Ryle, and Campbell. A tourney that is usually equal or tougher than our own state tourney. 

I know I am making excuses but they are real problems wrestling teams have in Ky. 

The real issue is out of season.  The wrestlers must seek out the opportunities to wrestle better competition.  Wrestling in Ky is just now becoming generational.  Those we are trying to "Catch up to" have generational families.  Once this occurs on a larger scale wrestling will stop taking a back burner for the families.  Most families are unwilling to spend the time and money of wrestling in the off season, because they are not involved.  Once we get 2-3 generations in a family is when we will see wrestling in Ky flourish.  We have many families who do this now but not nearly enough.