Old wrestler

Kentucky College Wrestling Dream Team

Thought it might be interesting to compile a list of our most successful collegiate wrestlers, per weight class. I would love feedback, especially at 165 and 174. I apologize in advance if I have any glaring omissions. As you can see from 133/141, these are not limited to just D1 competitors. 

125: Sean Fausz (Campbell County/ NC State) Backup: Jason Talbott (Oldham County/Stanford) 

133: Jacob Murton (Lawrence County/Campbellsville)

141: Brad Cooper (Simon Kenton/University of the Cumblerlands) 

149: Kyle Ruschell (Ryle/Wisconsin) Backup: Brock Ervin (Union/SIUE) 

157: Dave Grant (Tates Creek?/Northern Iowa) and/or Dave Barnes (Simon Kenton/Miami OH) Backup: TJ Ruschell (Ryle/Wisconsin)

165: 

174: 

184: Tyler Frankrone (Trinity/UNC) 

197: Richard Starks (Woodford County/West Point)

285: Austin Meyers (Campbell County/Missouri) and/or Dominc Black (Henry Clay/West Virginia) 

I remember hearing Frankrone signed with UNC, but I could not locate him on their roster (may be overlooking him). 

6 hours ago, justaref said:

It's an utter shame to have never gotten to see John Wolsifier from FC wrestle in college. Biggest what-if of my generation of wrestlers. 

Couldn't agree more. Wolsifer was one of the few that could have definitely made the transition to the D1 grind. He didn't compete his senior year, right? 

I've never rally understood the fascination with Wolsifier.  I saw him wrestle he was great, but to me didn't seem to have the heart.  I never got the story straight why he did not wrestle his senior year.  If it was other than an injury then you can't say he would have made the transition to D1.  I just don't want to undermine those kids who did make the transition to D1 with someone who did not try to if he was not injured. 

Once again.  I never really knew the kid personally, but was my impression of him on the mat.  I know this is going to come off as hateful, but I just don't understand the fascination. 

19 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

I've never rally understood the fascination with Wolsifier.  I saw him wrestle he was great, but to me didn't seem to have the heart.  I never got the story straight why he did not wrestle his senior year.  If it was other than an injury then you can't say he would have made the transition to D1.  I just don't want to undermine those kids who did make the transition to D1 with someone who did not try to if he was not injured. 

Once again.  I never really knew the kid personally, but was my impression of him on the mat.  I know this is going to come off as hateful, but I just don't understand the fascination. 

He did not wrestle senior year, but I won't get into the reasons as to why. He was a teammate of mine my entire wrestling career, as well as a good friend through high school and to this day. Things happen, Fern Creek had a lot of things going on that most on the outside may or may not have known about, which I won't go into. 

You can call it heart or just kids making mistakes, some grew up and some are still making them. It doesn't change the fact that John was one of the best wrestlers to ever step on the mats in KY, just from pure skill and ability. He had a particular hard-nosedness to his wrestling that was like nothing else I've personally felt. Downright mean at times even in the practice room. Always willing to go as hard as possible with the best of the best. 

The 'fascination' with him is that he genuinely beat down guys on the mat and his power double/over-under series are still some of the best I've seen. I also think he was 'over weight', in college I think coaches could have got him down to 149 and he would have been an animal.