coachteater

Youth state weigh in

20 hours ago, twenhofelcoach said:

My question to you goo is have you been to a Spring or Fall meeting for KWSA? The representatives for your "team" is the coaches that go to these. And as far as the members of the board for the KWSA, do you think that the 6 members of the board should be the only ones to vote on these issues?

No because that is what our representatives are there to do.  Much the same as our representatives in government do.  

Everyone has their own agenda, If you allow that many coaches/people to vote and give their opinion, nothing will get done.  We elect representatives because we believe they are the best people to come up with the right answers we need for a district/region.  If they do not then we vote someone else in that we think will do the right thing for us.  

Just because I don't attend these meetings.  Many of us don't have the time, Does not mean our ideas are not correct or good.   

Like I said maybe I am wrong, It's just my opinion.  

Maybe I need to start putting this in again

These are the opinions of GOO nothing more nothing less. Take them or leave them in the grand scheme of things it really does not matter. 

GOO out. 

34 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

No because that is what our representatives are there to do.  Much the same as our representatives in government do.  

Everyone has their own agenda, If you allow that many coaches/people to vote and give their opinion, nothing will get done.  We elect representatives because we believe they are the best people to come up with the right answers we need for a district/region.  If they do not then we vote someone else in that we think will do the right thing for us.  

Just because I don't attend these meetings.  Many of us don't have the time, Does not mean our ideas are not correct or good.   

Like I said maybe I am wrong, It's just my opinion.  

Maybe I need to start putting this in again

These are the opinions of GOO nothing more nothing less. Take them or leave them in the grand scheme of things it really does not matter. 

GOO out. 

Who are these representatives you keep speaking of if they are not the coaches of the teams?

Much like our government. Each district or region should vote for a representative.  That way each district or region is represented. This is not rocket science its the same way the high school does it.  Why does everyone need to reinvent the wheel.  Follow the high school lead. 

I have said this for years the middle school should be a mirror image of the high school. Or a close enough image.  

19 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Much like our government. Each district or region should vote for a representative.  That way each district or region is represented. This is not rocket science its the same way the high school does it.  Why does everyone need to reinvent the wheel.  Follow the high school lead. 

I have said this for years the middle school should be a mirror image of the high school. Or a close enough image.  

I think I see what your saying Goo, so when issues are brought up from the field (coaches) the we the board memebers are the only ones that vote on it not the collective group? That does make sense, although I personally like to collect as many opinions and thoughts from the field before making a decision and the only way to do that is max participation from the collective group. I would love to get emails from the field if somebody isn't able to make the meetings.....this is my first year on the board and I have my own initial platform but I am also trying to build and improve that platform with opinions from across the field. 

My daughter is wrestling youth......, My son is a midde school wrestler, dependng on his results he might do youth.... Im confused they wiegh in for YOUTH regions! Then where and when and what time is YOUTH state weigh ins? Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Nolans Dad said:

My daughter is wrestling youth......, My son is a midde school wrestler, dependng on his results he might do youth.... Im confused they wiegh in for YOUTH regions! Then where and when and what time is YOUTH state weigh ins? Thanks!

Weigh-ins:

Friday 3 FEB 6-9pm @ Crowne Plaza

Friday 4 FEB 1-4pm @ Crowne Plaza

ideally the district representative would have a meeting within his/her district.  That way the meeting will be close and district needs can be focused on.  After that meeting the representative would then take it to the other representatives and discussed.  Other ideas and the such can be discussed and the representative can bring those problems back to the district and I would hope discussed and acted upon.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

2 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

ideally the district representative would have a meeting within his/her district.  That way the meeting will be close and district needs can be focused on.  After that meeting the representative would then take it to the other representatives and discussed.  Other ideas and the such can be discussed and the representative can bring those problems back to the district and I would hope discussed and acted upon.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

That meeting won't be close in District 8 GOO.

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

We used to have regional reps before the youth and MS combined under the KSWA umbrella.  I don't think much has changed.  We're having the same recycled debates now than we did 8 years ago.  

To be honest MLee what we say and think on this site is meaningless.  

It's good for maybe getting a feel for something and maybe hearing some ideas, but as I mentioned I believe that the elected officials should be the ones making those decisions. Those people were voted because they were believed to be the best to make these decisions.  Once they make the decision then follow through prove me or whoever believed against it wrong or prove I am right.  Then change or keep it the same.  

We may not like KHSAA's decisions on everything but they make the decision then stick with it. Unless a huge outcry is made.  They try it, see if it works then moves on to the next year either changing again or keeping it. 

But what do I know I'm just an old fart just hanging around with barely the energy to read what is being written on this site let alone go out and do anything about it. :(:ph34r:

13 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

To be honest MLee what we say and think on this site is meaningless.  

It's good for maybe getting a feel for something and maybe hearing some ideas, but as I mentioned I believe that the elected officials should be the ones making those decisions. Those people were voted because they were believed to be the best to make these decisions.  Once they make the decision then follow through prove me or whoever believed against it wrong or prove I am right.  Then change or keep it the same.  

We may not like KHSAA's decisions on everything but they make the decision then stick with it. Unless a huge outcry is made.  They try it, see if it works then moves on to the next year either changing again or keeping it. 

But what do I know I'm just an old fart just hanging around with barely the energy to read what is being written on this site let alone go out and do anything about it. :(:ph34r:

Goo, I actually take copious notes as I scroll through these forums to see what the consensus is out in the field, like I said this is only my first year on the KSWA board and I am still forming ideas and thoughts fluidly. I know in Central KY we have discussed having a coaches meeting to get a consensus in our area so we speak with a unified voice on as many topics as possible when it comes time for he KSWA coaches meeting. 

I realize how important it is to have a more accurate weight & skin check but completely eliminating remote weigh ins will be so hard for some families. Especially ones in  the south and eastern parts of the state.  Friday/Saturday weigh ins will require an overnight trip when most parents typically drove to the tournament the morning of.  I also realize that the flyer was released in the fall.  Really though people do not look at the times, etc until it get closer to tournament time.  Maybe a large headline noting a significant change with required weigh ins in Louisville before States and that regional weigh in will not suffice this season would have been a good idea!  

Could not a morning weigh in for the morning session & an afternoon weigh in for the afternoon session been done on Sunday in addition to Saturdays weigh in?  My understanding is that once wrestlers weight, etc is put in Trackwrestling, the computer creates the required brackets.

On 1/18/2017 at 3:07 PM, Mr. Matman said:

I’m not here to argue my stance on the suggestion of participation awards. That can go on and on, I’d rather not waste the time. Here is a scenario for you: A third grader has friends that talk about wrestling at school. This kid gets excited and wants to join. His parents are reluctant, but decide to let him give it a try. He’s a first year kid and gets beat on at every tournament. This kid attends state and falls short of placing. The season is over. The parents, not fully understanding the benefits of wrestling in the first place allow the kid to give up the sport since he didn’t enjoy it anyway. Children cannot even begin to comprehend the concept that you feel a participation award represents anyway. Wrestling is a very demanding sport, yes, and if you stick with it you have the opportunity to gain a lot from the sport. So a kid that wrestles 4 full matches in the state tournament, which should be the toughest youth tournament at the state level, but doesn’t place is one that didn’t work hard? You say you’ve never wrestled, go wrestle live for 3 minutes and then come back and tell me how easy it was. Again, these are children at the youth level. What is keeping these kids excited to come back and continue with their participation? I offered up a suggestion, and it was just that. All I ever hear about is numbers “we don’t have the numbers”. What is something you feel could be a solution to this problem? I myself am more concerned with competition. Great competition comes through years of experience in any particular sport. Keeping kids involved is ultimately what will lead to high level competition. Keeping involvement up is the “numbers” that everyone preaches about.

I think this should be handled by the club in an off season banquet or something.  My kid wins and my kid loses and guess what the losses make him work harder to get the wins.  It sucks to lose but that is life.  I think to be a wrestler good or bad they have a certain mindset and usually a parent of one of these kids do to.  You don't give up because it wasn't easy and if the parent lets the kid give up it's on the parent.  Not the coaches, the association, etc.  I think your heart is in the right place because it really is heart breaking to personally know a child that has given everything and still come up short.  I've been that mom but it's up to the team, coaches and FAMILY to encourage the child and let them know that when you lose you keep going! 

Track wrestling does input the kids and put them in the brackets, but track doesn't seperate kids by team/region. The person creating these brackets has always seperated 1st round matches to allow kids to not wrestle the same kid they see all year in the 1st round of a "state" tournament. That's where the time comes into play. Imagine going through 72 brackets or so and having to separate kids in each one of them manually. It would take at least an hour to do that. I agree it's dumb to get rid of remote weighins but unfortunately this year it's that way.

Coaches,

We have decided to add morning weigh ins for the Youth state tournament on the day of. 

Here is the schedule for weigh ins:

-Friday February 3rd6-9PM at Crowne Plaza Hotel 830 Philips Lane Louisville, KY 40209

-Saturday February 4th1-4PM at Crowne Plaza Hotel 830 Philips Lane Louisville, KY 40209

-Sunday February 5th6:30-7:30AM at Broadbent Arena

-Sunday February 5th 11:00AM-12:00PM at Broadbent Arena

Please encourage wrestlers that can to weigh in prior to the day of the event. Make sure your wrestlers are aware they must show a copy of their Birth Certificate at weigh in.

Questions or issues please contact:

Jonathan Strayer @ jnv858@gmail.com

Tyler Baines @ johntylerbaines@gmail.com

Scott Raney @ purchaseareapounders@gmail.com

2017-Kentucky-Youth-State-Wrestling-Championships.pdf

• Upvote 1

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 9:48 PM, KSWA Staff said:

We have had remote sites for weigh ins for years, and all that was heard was that they were not done within the rules and the weights were not accurate.  

Not sure why all the flack for going to a weigh in process more similar to what national tournaments do.  

Okay,quick question pertaining to youth state weigh ins.My girl will be at middle school state tournament as an alternate Saturday.I think I was told that her weigh in Saturday for middle school state will be counted for youth state.Is this correct? Just making sure.

6 minutes ago, She Beast said:

Okay,quick question pertaining to youth state weigh ins.My girl will be at middle school state tournament as an alternate Saturday.I think I was told that her weigh in Saturday for middle school state will be counted for youth state.Is this correct? Just making sure.

Yes Marcella, MS weigh-ins will count  

Jonathan Strayer

jnv858@gmail.com

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 9:48 PM, KSWA Staff said:
7 minutes ago, jnv858 said:

Yes Marcella, MS weigh-ins will count  

Jonathan Strayer

jnv858@gmail.com

Ok thanks Jonathan Strayer,I'm a little slow and I have this annoying habit of checking and rechecking everything over and over again.Lol!

We have had remote sites for weigh ins for years, and all that was heard was that they were not done within the rules and the weights were not accurate.  

Not sure why all the flack for going to a weigh in process more similar to what national tournaments do.  

Okay,quick question about pertaining to youth state weigh ins.My girl will be at middle school state tournament as an alternate Saturday.I think I was told that her weigh in Saturday for middle school state will be counted for youth state.Is this correct? Just making sure.