Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2016/2017 - JANUARY 3

9 hours ago, dp463 said:

What happened to  Knoth from Meade. Is he injured? Hard to believe a top 5 kid just dropping out mid season.

I have heard that he has decided not to wrestle this season due to some weight disagreements with his coach.

I have heard rumors about the knoth situation I don't know him or his family personally but I heard he's not injured and wanted to wrestle this year but like Granby Master posted I believe that the issue was the coach wanted him to drop to 152 and he couldn't make the weight.  I believe that he was trying to continue wrestling at 160 but the coach wouldn't allow it so his only options were to sit the bench until he made weight for 152 or quit the team. For some reason the coach wouldn't allow him to stay at 160. Maybe he lost a wrestle off for the spot I'm not sure. Such a shame that a top 5 kid would be forced out over a weight issue. Looking at track wrestling it looks like he was 6-0 at 160. Seems like he only wrestled 6 matches this year and appears he pinned 5 of the guys he wrestled. Only thing I can think of is they have a wrestler at 160 that is better than the knoth kid and he couldn't beat him for the 160 spot. 

2 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I have heard rumors about the knoth situation I don't know him or his family personally but I heard he's not injured and wanted to wrestle this year but like Granby Master posted I believe that the issue was the coach wanted him to drop to 152 and he couldn't make the weight.  I believe that he was trying to continue wrestling at 160 but the coach wouldn't allow it so his only options were to sit the bench until he made weight for 152 or quit the team. For some reason the coach wouldn't allow him to stay at 160. Maybe he lost a wrestle off for the spot I'm not sure. Such a shame that a top 5 kid would be forced out over a weight issue. Looking at track wrestling it looks like he was 6-0 at 160. Seems like he only wrestled 6 matches this year and appears he pinned 5 of the guys he wrestled. Only thing I can think of is they have a wrestler at 160 that is better than the knoth kid and he couldn't beat him for the 160 spot. 

They have Johnny Lee at 160. He was a top 5 guy, but took some loses and has dropped in rankings. 

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Speculations and rumors do “no” justice to anyone. The bottom line is we have a wrestler who was healthy and in wrestling shape. The athlete had requested a difference in positon on a Team and the Coach had to make a call as to what was in the best interest for the Team and its future success. No difference in position changes in Football, Baseball, soccer, Ect….. Ultimately Coaches are put in these positions to make these hard choices on behalf of their Team.   It boils down to this and only this! The "Wrestler" in question choose not to participate where he was “needed” and to no longer be a team member of the Team he was on.

• Upvote 1

Thank you kywrestler@heart for the clarification on the issue. I didn't know the facts and was just telling people what I heard. I will be more careful about what I post in the future.  

39 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Thank you kywrestler@heart for the clarification on the issue. I didn't know the facts and was just telling people what I heard. I will be more careful about what I post in the future.  

No issues. I just hate for Rumors to start and Coaches names getting dragged thru the dirt. There work is already hard enough and Underappreciated

• Upvote 1

I don't know how anyone can rank 120 and 126. For example, in 126, #17 beats #12, then #17 loses to #25 (who also got beat by #20). 120 is a ridiculous weight this year as well. I think everyone who is ranked, should be ranked. But, don't get hung up on the order of the rankings. They all seem to be beating each other. The state tournament will be fun to watch in these 2 weight classes in particular.

1 hour ago, Sammy said:

Only thing I can think of is they have a wrestler at 160 that is better than the knoth kid and he couldn't beat him for the 160 spot. 

I would have to believe this is the issue.  As NB said "its called a wrestle off"

Just saying these things are usually settled on the mat ,a coach can do as he likes and there are circumstances where if kids can make weights he can choose for them .Works sometimes in duals usually for the year it does not .If a kid quit because he can win the weight he wants and a coach says no that's not very cool under normal circumstances .

NOT THAT THAT'S THE CASE AT ALL I HAVE NO CLUE AND ONLY BY POKING FOR RESPONSES WILL THERE BE MORE EDUCATED GUESSES AS TO THE REASON FOR THE DRAMA.

WE ARE WRESTLING FANS WE GET FED A LINE WE BITE AND DIG DEEPER NO HARM INTENDED UNLESS SOMEONE HAS BEEN WRONGED .

JUST HUMAN NATURE .

I WOULD SAY THE BEST DANCER GETS THE STARTING SPOT 9 X OUT OF 10 .BETTER RHYTHM USUALLY EQUATES TO BETTER AGILITY ATHLETICISM AND AN OVERALL CHARISMA THAT HAS A POSITIVE EFFECT ON THE TEAM .AND THE MOMS LIKE IT

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Just saying these things are usually settled on the mat ,a coach can do as he likes and there are circumstances where if kids can make weights he can choose for them .Works sometimes in duals usually for the year it does not .If a kid quit because he can win the weight he wants and a coach says no that's not very cool under normal circumstances .

NOT THAT THAT'S THE CASE AT ALL I HAVE NO CLUE AND ONLY BY POKING FOR RESPONSES WILL THERE BE MORE EDUCATED GUESSES AS TO THE REASON FOR THE DRAMA.

WE ARE WRESTLING FANS WE GET FED A LINE WE BITE AND DIG DEEPER NO HARM INTENDED UNLESS SOMEONE HAS BEEN WRONGED .

JUST HUMAN NATURE .

I WOULD SAY THE BEST DANCER GETS THE STARTING SPOT 9 X OUT OF 10 .BETTER RHYTHM USUALLY EQUATES TO BETTER AGILITY ATHLETICISM AND AN OVERALL CHARISMA THAT HAS A POSITIVE EFFECT ON THE TEAM .AND THE MOMS LIKE IT

:lol: Bingo on that last statement

• Upvote 1

Can't have a weak link in the chain if you can't stay in sync then your outtahere.

I admire the kid who stays and works through adversity as much as I dislike an unfair coach or circumstance  ,either way quitting solves nothing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gentleben1590 said:

I don't know how anyone can rank 120 and 126. For example, in 126, #17 beats #12, then #17 loses to #25 (who also got beat by #20). 120 is a ridiculous weight this year as well. I think everyone who is ranked, should be ranked. But, don't get hung up on the order of the rankings. They all seem to be beating each other. The state tournament will be fun to watch in these 2 weight classes in particular.

Lightweights are insane like that usually the upper weights are easier to put in order ,I guess with wider array of moves speed and let's face it those kids at the lighter weights are usually dieting hungry and mean their moods and levels of athleticism are more varied from day to day anything can happen .

• Upvote 1

On the teams I've been affiliated with, it's the coaches' decision on who is entered into a competition, and I'm not talking about grades or discipline issues.  For example, wrestler A may beat wrestler B consistently in practice but wrestler B consistently performs better in competition.  I saw this on two occasions on my high school team.  Most coaches however heavily weigh the wrestle-off in their decision.

Ironically, one individual was wrestler B the first time and then wrestler A a couple of years later.  In the second instance, wrestler B was a "big brother" to wrestler A.  Wrestler A went on to be a 3x champ while wrestler B was a 1x placer.  From the outside looking in it was only mental for the younger wrestler.

One thing I've always liked about the programs I've been in, you win the wrestle off, it's your spot. Might move kids around a little for duals or to get others matches, but when it comes down to it, the spot goes to the best guy there

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Yeah.  I'm not a big fan of a coach telling a wrestler to lose weight or your not competing.  

Opens a big can of worms. Wrestle offs are best.  

Agreed. I might suggest where I think they should go or advise not to drop, but in the end I always give them the choice at what weight to go, unless it's below what they can do healthy

I don't mean to say that I'm in favor of requiring a kid to drop weight, that's their call in my opinion.  College may be a different story, but not high school.

• Upvote 1