Sign in to follow this  
boco

5 Star Tourney

Everyone was extremely tired last night, it was very poorly ran, nowhere for wrestlers to warm up, finals were sloppy because everyone was there for 12-14 hours, results could've been different if the tournament was ran correctly

I'm pretty sure trackwrestling had something to do with the delays.  But my opinion is if track, or whatever program, is having issues then just switch to blank brackets and bout sheets for the rest of the tournament and do it by hand.  Someone can always go back and enter the results later.  In today's world we often feel like we're trapped in using the internet and technology when it sometimes is itself the problem.

• Upvote 2

The delays were due to Trackwrestling ... Some brackets were 32 man and the others were 16... They delay bout sheets in a timely manner... Nobody's fault, just reality with 25 teams. The Lafayette Invitational has always been praised. Limited space with 5 mats is a setback, however wrestlers had adequate time to warm up and be ready with the 4 or 5 breaks waiting on bout sheets. It's harder than you think to put it all together with 25 teams, if you don't like it then go for it, start your own !  The Championship matches were held on one mat to showcase the young men who made it there !  Sad that face offs didn't happen because of time restrictions. Thanks to all who made the event happen. The Lafayette 5 Star is still and will continue to be one of the most competitive and enjoyable tournaments around. Sorry if it didn't meet your standards. Thank you Lafayette and all the others who helped again, parents, coaches and coaches from competing teams, some of us KNOW what it takes pulling off a great tournament... In my opinion you always do !  Hats off to you once again 

I don't think anyone "in the know" would accuse Coach Green of running a bad tournament. Anyone who knows him and the fine people of Lafayette wouldn't do that. The 5 Star has always been one of my favorites since its inception. I think that the point that Zeus and I were trying to get across is we "the KY wrestling community" need to have a back up plan for instances when Track goes down. The art of being able to fill out a bracket by hand is getting lost due to relying entirely too much on computers. 

Well said Nike Man... Next year I am sure plenty of sharpened pencils will be ready to do it by hand if necessary... Last year Trackwrestling went down for the entire country.... Sometimes the old ways are the best ways !

This problem is something I've said for years now in observing numerous different tournaments dating back to the middle 2000s when software was first being used.  Coach Green is as good and experienced as they come, and I want to attend every year, even if one year has issues.  I say bring back the pools to guarantee more matches for everyone, but it's not my tournament. :)

• Upvote 1

It was my first tournament as a dad and kinda new to me, I guess it was somewhat overwhelming with all the people. Had a blast and got wrestling with the bleachers a few times lol. I don't know what it takes to do a tournament but I run other events and it's a headache when things don't go how you had planned. It is nerve wrecking when they say 10min break and turns into hour break. Another thing was they called my kids weight class so he gets up and ready then they change it do he waits again for hour or so. That happened a few times, but I guess just something to get use to with wrestling. Again this is our first year. Looking forward to more events.

Hang in there trell... You are in for the ride of your life... Hope your son loves the sport and wish him the best. You will come to love the early mornings and long days... They go by way too fast... Be there for all the wins, but most of all be there for the losses, they make him better and keep him hungry and humble... There is nothing better in this world than watching them one day climb the steps of the podium at the State Championships !  Enjoy the ride ! 

You got that right, he almost had podium spot Saturday but got 4th, young lady from Whitley was tough, so he is hungry for podium spot. I love the long dads but I'm use to it, got one kid doing travel baseball lol. 

The lightweight from Whitley is tough, I forget her name but was 106 last year, especially on top.  If she could learn to handle the physicality of the better muscle-bound wrestlers she'd be in the mix for a medal at the state tournament.

9 minutes ago, Wrestling Dad said:

Hope someone from one of the college women's programs are scouting her.  She is a candidate for a scholarship to wrestle somewhere.

I got a guess probably Cumberland... her Dad is women's coach there ;) 

And her name is Jaine Stephens. 

53 minutes ago, Trell9998 said:

I was telling my kid, these others have years of experience on him and he has plenty time to get up there, he is 8th grade.

If he works like NatureBoy and I were saying on the rankings thread he could compete for a medal his sophomore year, depending on the weight class, his junior year for sure.  Wrestling in KY is bad enough to allow kids who get a late start, but work hard, to see real results.  If this were Ohio or some other states it wouldn't be possible.

• Upvote 1

Lets be really honest. The guy who ran the WCI ran this tournament. What is the same between the WCI and this years 5 star? They both take WAY longer than they need to.