Sign in to follow this  
thomam

Shorts/shirts?

Agree with plantmanky1, I don't much care for it. Not only is it too much to regulate, I'm old school, I like singlets. This isn't MMA or wrestling practice. Why fix what isn't broken? And for those that want to argue about not getting kids out due to having to wear singlets, those are the kids that would either find a different excuse or quit a few weeks in anyhow. 

I don't agree and we will most likely find out soon enough. If it doesn't increase participation numbers then I will gladly eat my words.

i had no problems with a singlet when I was in high school. Didn't really think much about it either way. Unfortunately not everyone is like you or me and this is a deterrent to the sport for some. Especially those heavier wrestlers. 

We have to get kids to try the sport to see if they like it. Some of them will not even try because of the singlet. As a coach I want more kids to come out and try wrestling!! The fans seem to have a different opinion on this. It seems the coaches are mostly all for it. They want more participation.

Don't see how there will be to much to regulate just as in baseball the team has to look the same. As long each school has option to use either uniform. Just like nike man said most kids will find another reason but you may get more bigger kids out. no harm no foul

I definitely see both sides of the debate. My argument is, we don't see international competition moving in this direction, so why should we. I'm heading to Iowa this weekend for the Olympic trials, and I guarantee I won't see anyone wearing shorts and shirts for competition. The ultimate goal isn't state championships, Flo championships, NHSCA championships, or any other high school or college tournament. The biggest stage is the Olympics, and in my opinion, we should follow their lead. Leave the greatest sport on Earth alone. It's fine the way it is. 

Two issues:

* Dislocated/ broken fingers from being caught in the shorts

* Someone will lose their mind when their kid is exposed from the shorts being pulled down.

I doubt a kid will get exposed I would say 98% of kids wear compression shorts under their singlet and would do the same. As for the dislocated fingers I get that concern I have the same one then I think how many dislocated fingers I have seen from shorts in the practice room and its not very many at all. Also I think if the shorts are a shorter style it lower the risk of finger injuries even more. I myself like the singlet I think it should at least be an option. I think there are kids who would quit regardless but I also think this can bring up numbers and make the sport more appealing to kids..

Essentially I think it should at the least be an option if a kid still wants to rock the singlet fine but if a kid wants to rock the compression style fight shorts why not I see far more potential positives that out weigh the negatives.

If it were to be mandated as uniform rules...who is paying for all the teams to buy new uniforms?  Also, I very easily see this as being a year to year new uniform whereas we can use the singlets for multiple season. If mandated this places a financial burden on programs with limited funding, especially those that may have just purchased new team singlets.

• Upvote 1

I have no issue with it.  I don't know that it will automatically make more kids  want to wrestle. While the singlet is a convenient excuse, I don't think it's as big of deal as some people think it is.  

Injury risk with shorts I guess does go up, but this is the type of gear many kids practice in, so I don't see it as a big problem should this become the new uniform.  My biggest concern is cost.  I'm pretty certain that board shorts and a compression shirt is going to be more expensive than singlets.  

1 minute ago, thomam said:

Singlets are often 60-80 each. A few companies sell them cheaper. The cost won't be that much different.

But that is a one time cost for several years.  Shorts and Shirts will have to be purchased every year.  If those goes into effect, it will shut our program down no question.  

I know we talked about this some during the season, when track had us coaches take the survey when we logged in.  I am for either, I like both.  I am old school and would prefer a singlet, but not against the change.  I just don't see the change creating more participants.  Like a few have stated the ones who use the singlet as an excuse I believe would find another excuse.  The ones who are bashful due to body, compression shirts would be almost as revealing as a singlet.  The only body exposure I would see different is the shorts compared to the singlet bottoms. 

Like I said before and now, I'm not against the change, I just don't really think the costs out weigh the ending result.  I will gladly eat crow if it does work.  I just don't see it creating a large increase in new wrestlers.  Like everywhere across the country, the numbers are down, and everyone wants to bring the numbers up.  I don't think singlets are the reason the numbers are down, I would guess it's a mere small percentage compared to how tough and grueling the sport is, and kids today don't want to put the effort out there to be successful.  It's easier to just not do it, than it is to do it.  That compiled with year round single sport focus would be my two biggest concerns as to why numbers are down.  We as coaches and parents want the best and sometimes demanding year round sports we are the bearer of our own demons, but that's a whole different topic. 

2 hours ago, thomam said:

Singlets are often 60-80 each. A few companies sell them cheaper. The cost won't be that much different.

Yes they are if you go fully sublimated from a big supplier.   There are plenty of lower cost singlet options out there.  You can get stick singlets as cheap as $20-$30 if you shop around, and there are several places that sell sublimated singlets for $40ish.  I can't see being able to get fight shorts and compression shorts that cheaply.  

I agree with the traditionalists that a singlet is part of the uniform to wrestle, but maybe the uniform could be changed.  At the least it would take away a common reason why kids say they don't wrestle, competition wouldn't change much at all.