rjs4470

Region 3 Tourney Update

As of this morning, the Region 3 Tourney held at Woodland Middle School is cancelled for Tomorrow.  The current plan is to hold the tourney on Sunday 1/24.   Doors open and weigh in begin at 11am, coaches meeting at Noon, wrestling by 12:15.  Should we be forced to cancel Sunday (which is a very real possibility), the tournament will be held next Saturday 1/30 at the original scheduled time.

70-Moore WV over Ross Ryle

75-Peace WV over Thomas Ryle

80-S Grandstaff WV over Straus Ryle

86-J Grandstaff WV over Johnson Twenhofel

92-Conrad Twenhofel over Dodge Ryle

98-Lee Ryle over Good Conner

105-Tom K-C Campbell over Belk Ryle

113-Lutes Woodland over Elliston Conner

121-Streine WV over Bell Woodland

130-Duke Ryle over Mayer Campbell 

140-Bodenbender Ryle over Franks Woodland

152-Talmon Ryle over Richmond Campbell

168-Kramer NKY Saints over Leicht Campbell

190-Evans Ryle over Maines WV

240-Daniels Newport over Dailey WV

MOW Duke Ryle

Complete Joke at Woodland today. The #1 Ranked 152lb in the State was screwed by a Ryle Ref for ringworm that he had a Dr's note on. My son was totally cleared and to do a kid like that in his 8th grade year is horrible. I would like to know how a Ref can be a coach at Ryle and have an opinion. Very bad for wrestling today. We will fight this with everything we have because you don't do that to kids. 5 Medical Professionals said it looked fine and he had a KHSAA note to clear him..... I guess the Ryle guy was going to make sure his wrestler was going to win. It's sad that they can overrule a Dr's release. I will make sure and find out if that's really the case.............

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

If you think there was a plan put in place to DQ your son due to ringworm, only to have a Ryle kid win regionals is a joke. His ranking or grade has no bearing on your sons ringworm. That Ref your speaking of wasn't even in the building when the 2 officials said he wasn't able to wrestle during his skin check at weigh ins. . The kid your son would have wrestled in the Finals is solid and didn't need a DQ.  He can hold his own. Second of all the Referee your speaking of IS NO MORE a coach at Ryle than Tom is for Campbell County. Their were 4 refs there that did not clear your son. I was in the coaches meeting when an official that's from Campbell County also said your sons ringworm was red and pussed up. You offered to try and cover it up(wrap it) as a solution. Then you tried calling a outside doctor to drive to Woodland to tell the refs your son could wrestle. The rules are pretty clear about infections and who has to protect the other wrestlers. Your son is an outstanding wrestler and certainly would have found his way to the State podium if not on top of it. There wasn't a coach in that room that didn't feel terrible for your son and wished he could wrestle.  I've always thought you guys carried yourselves in a respectful manner. But To insult a man and make derogatory statements for doing his job is uncalled for. 

• Upvote 5

As a coach with no dog in this fight the rules are and always have been CRYSTAL clear about ringworm. An official can overrule a doctor note if they feel the infection is contagious to other wrestlers. They are trying to protect other wrestlers from being infected two weeks before the state tournament. There are multiple options available that doctors can prescribe to have ringworm cleared in a matter of days. I feel for the wrestler but to point the fingers at the officials is unfair. A oral steroid could have cured the ringworm within days where the wrestler would have been cleared to wrestle. I don't think there is a coach or an official that would put their teams success ahead of seeing the best wrestler win (we are here for the children not our egos). I understand you are upset because your son was crushed today but don't make false accusations. It makes you and your organization look foolish.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NKYCoach said:

As a coach with no dog in this fight the rules are and always have been CRYSTAL clear about ringworm. An official can overrule a doctor note if they feel the infection is contagious to other wrestlers. They are trying to protect other wrestlers from being infected two weeks before the state tournament. There are multiple options available that doctors can prescribe to have ringworm cleared in a matter of days. I feel for the wrestler but to point the fingers at the officials is unfair. A oral steroid could have cured the ringworm within days where the wrestler would have been cleared to wrestle. I don't think there is a coach or an official that would put their teams success ahead of seeing the best wrestler win (we are here for the children not our egos). I understand you are upset because your son was crushed today but don't make false accusations. It makes you and your organization look foolish.

NKYCoach,

You are the fool, my family and I have always carried ourselves in a good manner. Did I carry myself in a good manner yesterday, NO I DID NOT! 3 nurses, the Trainer, and a Nurse Practitioner all looked at it and said it looked fine to them. After the trainer said he was good to wrestle, the Refs discredited his opinion. How can you have 5 Medical Professionals look at it and say it's ok???? The Ryle Ref wasn't hearing what he wanted to hear IMO. And to say it was Pussed up is a totally False. The Ryle organization looked very bad yesterday because of 1 bad apple. We had all of the paperwork to clear him to wrestle, to give a Ref (that can't do that very well either) the power to overrule a Medical Document is Insane. Wrestling just took a huge step backwards yesterday. This sport has a hard enough time growing and you throw this kind of crap in the mix???? Someone should lose their job or license over what happened yesterday, horrible display of Politics!!!!!!!!!!

• Downvote 1

No dog in this fight.  As a former official, officials always have to err on the side of caution.

Transcript from NFHS Wrestling Rule Book:

"Coaches and referees all play a vital role in controlling communicable skin diseases. They must err on the side of what is best for the health of all involved in the sport when dealing with communicable skin diseases.  Referees are the last line of defense in keeping wrestlers with communicable skin diseases off the mat. The safety of all who step on a competition mat is at stake."

I'm sorry to hear about your son.  I hope that he makes a speedy recovery from the skin condition and continues on with the sport.

Good luck

4 minutes ago, Hardwork15 said:

It's never killed anyone 

No it hasn't.  But it can cause scarring, lead to infection and is extremely hard to treat and get rid of if it is in the scalp and can cause patches of baldness.  At the very least it's a nuisance, a nuisance that spreads easily, and is preventable by not allowing those who have it, wrestle.  Allowing someone who has it to wrestle will guarantee that others get it, and is just plain negligent.  Would you really be ok with you or your kids coming down with a case of ringworm that could have been prevented just by following a rule?? 

We all as a wrestling community feel your pain. We didn't want to see these things happen to anyone who puts in the work as a wrestler suffer from a skin condition. We had one of our best wrestlers have to end his eighth grade year at districts because of a rare skin condition as well. And he had a great chance at reaching the podium at state. Unfortunately these things happen and as a coach/parent it's hard to swallow. He as a wrestler is lucky to have 4 more years of wrestling if he continues in the sport to move on and continue. I hope you see both sides of the ruling. 

1 hour ago, bestmistake33 said:

No dog in this fight.  As a former official, officials always have to err on the side of caution.

Transcript from NFHS Wrestling Rule Book:

"Coaches and referees all play a vital role in controlling communicable skin diseases. They must err on the side of what is best for the health of all involved in the sport when dealing with communicable skin diseases.  Referees are the last line of defense in keeping wrestlers with communicable skin diseases off the mat. The safety of all who step on a competition mat is at stake."

I'm sorry to hear about your son.  I hope that he makes a speedy recovery from the skin condition and continues on with the sport.

Good luck

Without a doubt.  This is the ref's call.  It's not the first time I've seen a skin form overruled...seems like a good wrestler gets knocked out of a post season tourney every year in high school/middle school.  It wasn't politics (team standings wouldn't have changed), it wasn't targeting someone who was ranked #1 (by my count there were 5 other kids in the tourney ranked #1 in the state not affiliated with Ryle...why would this one in particular be picked out?).  At least 3 of the 4 officials and most coaches (if not all) were in agreement that keeping the wrestler out was the best decision.  It sucks.  Whether it was the number 1 kid in the state or a 1st year kid who got in as the 1st alternate, it was a call that had to be made.  The wrestlers status or ability cannot be the determining factor in this situation.  And an active case of ringworm could have jeopardized the postseason of ANY kid that wrestled the kid or on that mat.

Again you want to align your sons ringworm to the Ryle organization. You think Ryle not wrestling your son would change the results and somehow catapult Campbell County in front of Ryle and WV.  Ryle still would have won Regionals even if your son was In and won 1st. There wasn't one person there that personally wanted to see your son NOT WRESTLE. He's an absolute stud and enjoyable to watch. Nurses in the stands don't qualify for dismissing ringworm.  A highly regarded Campbell County ref along with 2 other removed your son from wrestling during weigh ins, not this @ryle ref" .The 4th ref that you refer to as "Ryle's ref" came in to help out due to the 4th ref cancelling on Woodland. He just didn't go against what the other 3 concurred and that makes him a bad guy!?? I get it that your mad. I'd be crushed also in your position and I would have fought tooth and nail to get him in yesterday too.  But to belittle a ref that came in to help out on his day off and say he's the reason is a joke. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

No it hasn't.  But it can cause scarring, lead to infection and is extremely hard to treat and get rid of if it is in the scalp and can cause patches of baldness.  At the very least it's a nuisance, a nuisance that spreads easily, and is preventable by not allowing those who have it, wrestle.  Allowing someone who has it to wrestle will guarantee that others get it, and is just plain negligent.  Would you really be ok with you or your kids coming down with a case of ringworm that could have been prevented just by following a rule?? 

The rule is to get a Dr. to clear you and be treated for 72 hours which he was!!!!! No Negligence done whatsoever, just pure Political Bull_ _ _ _

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RamMan said:

The rule is to get a Dr. to clear you and be treated for 72 hours which he was!!!!! No Negligence done whatsoever, just pure Political Bull_ _ _ _

I get it.  I'd be angry too if my kid had a shot and didn't get a chance because of a skin condition. My son had to sit out one of the biggest HS meets of the year due to a skin infection.  Skin form and everything.  I've seen at least a 1/2 dozen wrestlers over the last 4 years with skin forms not be allowed to compete because the infection still looked active.  I  can assure you there was nothing political about the decision...no one involved in the decision had an axe to grind, or anything to gain by not allowing him to wrestle.  The decision had already been made before the 4th official arrived, and he was consulted only after the other officials as well as the tournament directors had  agreed he shouldn't wrestle (non of which had any dogs in the fight or anything to gain).  And all that were involved absolutely wanted the kid to wrestle, and all absolutely struggled with the decision. 

• Upvote 1

The 4th Ref(The Ryle Ref) showed up and told me he couldn't wrestle without even looking at him. I then asked him to look at it which was a waste of time.

All I can say is that the Refs and Tournament Directors at Woodland Middle School put a black stamp on wrestling yesterday. When the winner of the 152lb stands on the podium, he will know that he didn't beat the #1 kid, and that's a shame.

Another Major problem I have with what happened to my son yesterday is Woodland made a huge mistake letting Adam run the tournament. Every one of his tournaments he runs is run terribly!! He looked at me and said he can't wrestle, my mats my rules. Who does he think he is other than a pajama wearing Dill Rod??? This was much bigger than having a ego problem, my mat my rules? He had a huge hand in screwing the #1 kid in the State, I hope he feels bigger than he is, what a joke..............

1 hour ago, RamMan said:

All I can say is that the Refs and Tournament Directors at Woodland Middle School put a black stamp on wrestling yesterday. When the winner of the 152lb stands on the podium, he will know that he didn't beat the #1 kid, and that's a shame.

No he won't. He's a kid that will know he beat everyone in front of him. Rankings by Ranger on a forum for the kids and Dads to look at and talk about is just that an opinion. to list your son #1 over another wrestler was warranted and shouldn't take anything away from him. But don't discount Dillon Talmon or others in that weight class. He's a great wrestler that hasn't had the privilege to wrestle your son yet this year. And the others from around the state that are at the top don't deserve you bashing them. Why don't you stay on point about the first 3 refs and the tournament director ruling against your son wrestling due to ringworm and quit attacking the "Ryle ref" for NOT ruling against the other 4 in front of him that already made the ruling. He wasn't even the head official, Tom Hardy was and he's from Campbell County. Why aren't you busting his chops? It sucks that they had to do a part of their job which brings no one any joy. I'd like to see a way for him to still be in!!! I'd fight FOR your son as much as I'd fight for my wrestlers. 

• Upvote 2