Sign in to follow this  
tja

Is Kentucky wrestling in trouble

On 11/20/2015, 9:26:13, plantmanky1 said:

Middle School participation numbers look to be significantly down again this year.  That can not be good for the future.  

I think the all day tournaments hurt middle school wrestling.  If the weight classes could be broken up somewhat with some going in the morning and some going in the afternoon, I think that would help.  The 10-12 hour marathons aren't for a lot of folks.

46 minutes ago, TBG said:

I think the all day tournaments hurt middle school wrestling.  If the weight classes could be broken up somewhat with some going in the morning and some going in the afternoon, I think that would help.  The 10-12 hour marathons aren't for a lot of folks.

I can see this working on the middle school level, not high school though.

"I think the all day tournaments hurt middle school wrestling.  If the weight classes could be broken up somewhat with some going in the morning and some going in the afternoon, I think that would help.  The 10-12 hour marathons aren't for a lot of folks."

So the school teams that arrive on a bus have half their team sit around  doing nothing for half the day and then the lower weights do the same for the latter part of the day? Do the upper weights weigh in and then sit for half the day or weigh in after the lower weights finish wrestling, thus sitting around for half the day unable to eat while they wait to weigh in and then wrestle. Even if you had remote weigh ins it would still mean half your team sitting around waiting to wrestle or waiting for the rest to finish. I don't think this is the answer. just my 2 cents.

12 hours ago, naplesme said:

"I think the all day tournaments hurt middle school wrestling.  If the weight classes could be broken up somewhat with some going in the morning and some going in the afternoon, I think that would help.  The 10-12 hour marathons aren't for a lot of folks."

So the school teams that arrive on a bus have half their team sit around  doing nothing for half the day and then the lower weights do the same for the latter part of the day? Do the upper weights weigh in and then sit for half the day or weigh in after the lower weights finish wrestling, thus sitting around for half the day unable to eat while they wait to weigh in and then wrestle. Even if you had remote weigh ins it would still mean half your team sitting around waiting to wrestle or waiting for the rest to finish. I don't think this is the answer. just my 2 cents.

And obviously, you can't split your teams for dual tournaments, which is about half our season.  People aren't quitting or not signing up for swimming because of long days. 

Kentucky has made huge strides in wrestling since at a low in 1991. Problem is the nature of the beast like swimming. There is no real casual fans support. To have a successful team you wrestler your matches in all day Saturday events that the casual fans doesn't attend. Plus you add to the fact that football season doesn't end for most teams until November doesn't help with the sharing of athletes.  Wrestling is very much a inner fraternity that requires sacrifice that the average person doesn't want to pay. As for finding good coaches, its hard to tell a young 20 something year old that might had a significant other or trying to start a family that his social life and family life is now limited. ( I can't count how many times I missed important family and friends events because of coaching) Like participating, coaching is a huge sacrifice for the love of the sport. For what makes our sport great also weakens it. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/20/2015 6:08:27, depperschmidt said:

Instead of saying "I could" would it not be better to say "I did" ?

OH I did with the ones I had control of and I would and could gladly any day given the chance .

It's easy to pick up a bunch of studs already throw them together and look like a great coach .

Much different doing it from scratch but much more rewarding.