Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 Predictions

Is there a lot of sandbagging going on in high school wrestling?

Kids taking losses just to get a worse seeding in regional so prognosticators can beat their chests?

Doesn't seem logical.

Is there a lot of sandbagging going on in high school wrestling?

Kids taking losses just to get a worse seeding in regional so prognosticators can beat their chests?

Doesn't seem logical.

I don't really follow what your getting at?

I don't really follow what your getting at?

acewing interpreted IN_Grappler to be suggesting that some kids may have taken losses during the season to get a lower seeding, that is how I interpreted his statement as well. IN_Grappler can correct this if he wants to though

Sand bagging in cards or billards might make sense, call me crazy but that makes no sense when talking about wrestling. And yes upsets happen all the time but saying a #1 or #2 on this list will not qualify is a pretty bold prediction, would like to know more for sure

Finally there is some chatter on region 1. You are correct who in the h*%$ sandbags in wrestling. It was just so quiet on here something had to be said to get the kettle hot. Of course no one is ever going to agree with rankings but I know I have always been perfect in my predictions but in order to remain that way I never tell them, lol!

You're crazy Regaldo is going to get smoked by Micah! Micah is a better wrestler. Regaldo won't be top 8 probably this yeat

Wow, it looks like this prediction was no where in the ball park!

Falcon's critique on Falcon's predictions

Champ predicted- yes
Qualifiers predicted- 3/4
The Good- Top 3
The Bad- Dickerson over Hammons

This weight was pretty easy to predict, all tough kids who have been secure in their rankings for awhile, even with Knight dropping down. I am sure Hammons felt rightfully shorted by my prediction and he proved his ranking to be no fluke as he once again beat Dickerson in his route to punching his ticket to state. 

Champ predicted- yes
Qualifiers predicted- 2/4
The Good- Regaldo over Ervin
The Bad- Everything else

I was really off with this weight, just not in the way people expected me to be. Regaldo proved me right with a solid win over Ervin but I think everyone knows Micah is en route to a very good wrestling career like his brothers and cousins. Himes couldn't get it done which is a disappointing end to his senior year but we have to keep in mind 113 was a very tough weight from top to bottom. Agulto wrestled great out there by the way.

Champ predicted- yes
Qualifiers predicted- 4/4
The Good- Agulto over Turner
The Bad- Curl's finish

While I predicted the four finishers correctly I got the order all wrong, I consider this a testament to how tightly contested the weight was. Agulto did pull off the upset over Turner which helped Christian County secure second place over Calloway. Curl didn't do as well as I had hoped but he is still very young and has impressed me a lot in his short career. 

Champ predicted- yes
The Good- Dyess over Ruttman
The Bad- Mathis over Ervin

I let the fact I secretly cheer for McCracken get the best of me and that prevented a clean sweep at 126 for me. Dyess wrestled a fantastic tournament and I really hope he places at state. I can't wait to see this batch of kids next year with only Dyess graduating.

Champ predicted- no
The Good- Ellison making top 6
The Bad- Shorting Collins

My hat goes off to Chance Collins and a congratulations on your region title. This is a case where I have to eat my words in saying Oxford would "cruise" to a region title, Collins showed me the error of my syntax with a fantastic tournament that I hope carries over to the state tournament. Interesting note, while I predicted the 1st, 3rd, and 5th place wrestlers correctly I got the result wrong at each weight.

Champ predicted- yes
The Good- Saying Miller would win
The Bad- Not trusting first instincts

I always tell my students to trust your first answer, once you start overthinking something that's when you make mistakes. In that regard I should've kept Putty at third like I did in my first draft, and Putty did his best to rub that mistake in my face. I am also glad that the Miller final was just as close as I believed it would be and in a perfect world we would see a rematch in the state finals, but Derek is stuck with one of the toughest draws I have seen in awhile. Best of luck to the Millers of Region 1, I am cheering for both of you.

Champ predicted- yes
The Good- Gray over Walls
The Bad- doubting Union

I will not give myself credit for predicting Ryder's upset wins because I was happily surprised. It's really tough taking your first loss, especially this late into the season but hopefully Walls uses that fire to fuel him at state, I already got to see Frank place at state (a highlight of my trip last year) and I would love to see Walls do it too. That aside great job Gray and I can't wait to follow the rest of your career. With my gushing on those two done I have to say great job to Avery for proving once again to never doubt the Union kid. 

Champ predicted- yes
The Good- got all 4
The Bad- Lawson over Perry

Perry stepped up big for Christian here. His great tournament is the reason I didn't get a clean sweep at this weight haha.

Champ predicted- no
The Good- got all 4
The Bad- Williams over Buckman

I doubted Union again at this weight and paid for it. This is a weight, like a few others, I could see Region 1 coming out with four placers.

Champ predicted- no
The Good- got all four again
The Bad- doubting Lawson

I guess Lawson wasn't happy with me predicting him third and decided to show it by beating Haywood for the first time this year en route to a region title. Not quite as dramatic as Thacker, it's still another case of I should just never predict anything with Hoptown kids.

Champ predicted- yes
The Good- not entirely messing up
The Bad- You know the story of the guy who kept doubting Union?

The top three at this weight should all place, and my hat goes off to Kane Morris who turned in a great performance at this tournament. 

Champ predicted- yes
The Good- Phil Bradley
The Bad- four and down

The top three at this weight should all win at least two matches at state. Bradley wrestled a good tournament. But man I messed up with my predictions from fourth down, that is probably on par with 113 as one of my worst performances this year in crystal ball gazing.

Champ predicted- yes
The Good- Zach Farris 
The Bad- Orr and Culver

My last shot at a clean sweep was at 220 where Orr decided I did not deserve it and beat Culver. I stand by my prediction that Farris will be in the finals against the infamous ATM, maybe he can even pull off a Hunter French.

Champ predicted- no
The Good- I didn't totally screw up
The Bad- Heavy is Heavy

Another weight I messed up on hence I end up 10/14 correctly predicted region champions which gives me a C- for the year. Maybe I'll do better next year

I went out to Calloway on the second day of the tournament to watch the match ups I had been hearing about all year. The sad part is the refereeing was so horrible that one ref was deciding matches himself instead. I am not sure who the bald headed ref was but he is one of the worst refs I have witness seeing in many years. I know it is not an easy job but damn at least know the rules some what before you put the whistle to your lips. You know it is bad when the other refs have to stand mat side just to make sure he does not mess up to bad. I heard the first night he called a locking hands and then let the match go on and then give the kid that locked hands a five point move. WOW, Great job!! I know many coaches had some issues not only with his poor performance but also safety concerns for the kids due to him allowing some joint locks as well. NOT GOOD!! Did not hear any real issues with the other refs there but that guy was spoke of frequently and often. By the way, got to see some tough matches but the ones I was most impressed with was Buckman and Williams and Brown and Shaffer. I believe those were the best matches of the day. Grey and Walls was alright but I expected that outcome anyway. The first match up between them was won by Grey but the refs helped decide the outcome with Walls walking away the victor on the first meeting. Well everyone enjoy the snow and best of luck to all the guys who qualified for state!!

Sign in to follow this