Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 Predictions

Here we go, it's time for the big one. Now we figure out who has really turned in the work this season to make it to state. Who will rise up and be a surprise region champ? Who will falter and miss the podium? Up ahead are my predictions which are based on my attempts to gaze into a crystal ball and predict instead of rank. I might predict someone to lose to someone who has yet to touch them, because this is regionals and I've seen it happen every year. Once my picks are in then it is finally your turn to step in and try to unseat Falcon himself and prove that you are the better predictor of regional finishes. In personal news, Cleveland Heights has their first qualifying tournament in a week so I'm still in the middle of getting them to peak now. 

1. Saul Ervin, Union County
2. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County
3. Daniel Knight, Christian County
4. Nick Dickerson, Calloway County
5. Kaleb Hammons, Caldwell County
6. James McDow, Hoptown
Dark Horse- Ray Hamilton, Paducah Tilghman

Ervin won't be touched, Sapp and Knight will be a good semi match up but I think Sapp has proven all year that he is the #2 guy behind Ervin. I predict Dickerson to upset Hammons because Calloway has just been wrestling so good all year I think Coach Walls will have Dickerson ready to pull off the big win.

1. Louie Regaldo, Fort Campbell
2. Micah Ervin, Union County
3. Dakota Himes, Ohio County
4. Austin Zeppes, Calloway County
5. Michael Barkley, Paducah Tilghman
6. Edwin Agulto, Christian County
Dark Horse- Dale Robertson, Hoptown

Regaldo has come on strong this year, I predict a top 5 finish for him at state. Ervin has the technical skill but I don't think he is physically developed enough to bring home the title. I have Himes pulling off a couple upsets because I just think he is that talented. 

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County
2. Alex Curl, Fort Campbell
3. Jacob Bellah, Calloway County
4. Froilan Agulto, Christian County
5. Devontae Turner, Trigg County
6. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown
Dark Horse- Jacob Vickery, McCracken County

Sheffer goes through untouched, and Curl has been looking really good behind him. I kind of put in Agulto over Turner just to have an upset, but it's an upset I can envision. Turner could honestly end up at 3rd or even 2nd and not surprise me.

1. Jeremiah Kline, Trigg County
2. Daniel Dyess, UHA
3. Scott Ruttman, Calloway County
4. Jeffrey Mathis, McCracken County
5. Rylan Ervin, Union County
6. Antonio Abren, Christian County
Dark Horse- Josh McCoy, Ohio County

Kline wins easy, second will be a bit harder to guess. I have Dyess pulling off the upset over Ruttman which will be the one of the few black spots on a good day for Calloway. Mathis squeaks by Ervin.

1. Chance Oxford, Union County

2. Chance Collins, UHA

3. Jack Haynes, Calloway County

4. Camerin Cole, Christian County

5. Gideon Ellison, Fort Campbell

6. Colin Stevens, Trigg County

Dark Horse- Kestin McClain, McCracken County

Oxford and Collins cruise to the finals, Oxford cruises to the win. Haynes upsets Cole for third while Ellison wrestles the tournament of his life to somehow get 5th.

1. BJ Miller, Ohio County

2. Derek Miller, Paducah Tilghman

3. Tim Pike, Union County

4. Logan Thomas, Calloway County

5. Dalton Putty, UHA

6. Justin Crabtree, Trigg County

Dark Horse- Evan Martin, McCracken County

Miller and Miller will be one of the premier finals matches, and one I am certain Miller will win. I have Thomas pulling off the upset over Putty, but I almost put Putty in at third so know that this is a close weight.

1. Wes Gray, Caldwell County

2. Nicholas Walls, Calloway County

3. Diion Leavell, Christian County

4. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

5. Dominick Avery, Union County

6. Blake Brown, Ohio County

Dark Horse-  Malik Cunningham, Trigg County

A couple upsets at this weight, Gray over Walls in the finals and Ryder over Avery in the quarters. With Ryder I am letting the opinion's of others sway mine, I have been consistently told for almost two years that Ryder has the talent to make it, and if he wrestles a good tournament then perhaps he will. 

1. Jackson Oxford, Union County

2. Ivan Lawson, Hoptown

3. Kobe Perry, Christian County

4. Braden Sperry, Caldwell County

5. Mario Perez, Calloway County

6. Jaishon Faishon, Trigg County

Dark Horse- Christian Barefield, UHA

Perry loses to Lawson in the semi's, Perez nearly gets by Sperry but Sperry wins the match with a tough third period.

1. Nathan Williams, Hoptown

2. Avery Buckman, Union County

3. Kenny Sells, Christian County

4. Will Crabtree, UHA

Dark Horse-

Well this is embarrassing, I can't think of 4 other people at this weight with everyone changing weight classes. I'd just guess from track but well I don't actually have the brackets so I don't know who is at this weight. Maybe AJ Frias from Fort Campbell?

1. Gino Haywood, Fort Campbell

2. Keyven Sells, Christian County

3. Isaiah Lawson, Hoptown

4. Alex Hideg, McCracken County

5. David Woods, Calloway County

6. Caleb Woods, Caldwell County

Dark Horse- Union County

Haywood pulls out the win over Sells who previously upsets Lawson in a barnburner semifinal match. Hideg barely beats Woods to make it to state for McCracken.

1. Xavier Pate, Christian County

2. Conner Keenan, Fort Campbell

3. Kane Morris, Union County

4. Cody Jackson, Calloway County

5. KyTyven Anthony, Hoptown

Dark Horse-

Similar to 160 last second weight changes have left me unsure of who else to put in here. Keenan's results in Tennessee are incredible and I have to give him credit, thus I have him beating Morris and he could even beat Pate too.

1. Cole Sherman, Union County

2. Phil Bradley, UHA

3. Eugene Butler, Hoptown

4. Dylan Marlow, Ohio County

5. Tige Littlefield, Caldwell County

6. Anthony Adkinson, Fort Campbell

Dark Horse- Alex Billiter, Christian County

195 suddenly became a very crowded weight at the last second. I think Bradley avenges his loss and gives Sherman a good match in the finals. Billiter would be in the top 6 but he is giving up a lot of size.

1. Zach Farris, Ohio County

2. Conner Sherman, Union County

3. Colby Culver, Calloway County

4. Chance Orr, Paducah Tilghman

5. Marcus Green, Christian County

6. Michael Bruce, Hoptown

Dark Horse- Ben McGregor, Caldwell County

I think Farris finishes second in the state, and his first step is getting revenge over Sherman at regionals. Culver continues the Calloway run with the upset over Orr. Green nearly makes it to state but runs into the on fire Culver.

1. Raynel Brown, Union County

2. David Nikolao, Fort Campbell

3. Luke Shaffer, Ohio County

4. Maurice Catlett, Trigg County

5. Logan Thomas, Hoptown

6. David Clark, Calloway County

Dark Horse- Mahlon Ray, Christian County

I think Nikolao catches some leftovers of whatever magic gave Jorstad the ability to make the finals last year, but Shaffer finishes higher at state. Catlett barely gets the win over Thomas.

Here we go, it's time for the big one. Now we figure out who has really turned in the work this season to make it to state. Who will rise up and be a surprise region champ? Who will falter and miss the podium? Up ahead are my predictions which are based on my attempts to gaze into a crystal ball and predict instead of rank. I might predict someone to lose to someone who has yet to touch them, because this is regionals and I've seen it happen every year. Once my picks are in then it is finally your turn to step in and try to unseat Falcon himself and prove that you are the better predictor of regional finishes. In personal news, Cleveland Heights has their first qualifying tournament in a week so I'm still in the middle of getting them to peak now.

1. Saul Ervin, Union County

2. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County

3. Daniel Knight, Christian County

4. Nick Dickerson, Calloway County

5. Kaleb Hammons, Caldwell County

6. James McDow, Hoptown

Dark Horse- Ray Hamilton, Paducah Tilghman

Ervin won't be touched, Sapp and Knight will be a good semi match up but I think Sapp has proven all year that he is the #2 guy behind Ervin. I predict Dickerson to upset Hammons because Calloway has just been wrestling so good all year I think Coach Walls will have Dickerson ready to pull off the big win.

1. Louie Regaldo, Fort Campbell

2. Micah Ervin, Union County

3. Dakota Himes, Ohio County

4. Austin Zeppes, Calloway County

5. Michael Barkley, Paducah Tilghman

6. Edwin Agulto, Christian County

Dark Horse- Dale Robertson, Hoptown

Regaldo has come on strong this year, I predict a top 5 finish for him at state. Ervin has the technical skill but I don't think he is physically developed enough to bring home the title. I have Himes pulling off a couple upsets because I just think he is that talented.

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County

2. Alex Curl, Fort Campbell

3. Jacob Bellah, Calloway County

4. Froilan Agulto, Christian County

5. Devontae Turner, Trigg County

6. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown

Dark Horse- Jacob Vickery, McCracken County

Sheffer goes through untouched, and Curl has been looking really good behind him. I kind of put in Agulto over Turner just to have an upset, but it's an upset I can envision. Turner could honestly end up at 3rd or even 2nd and not surprise me.

1. Jeremiah Kline, Trigg County

2. Daniel Dyess, UHA

3. Scott Ruttman, Calloway County

4. Jeffrey Mathis, McCracken County

5. Rylan Ervin, Union County

6. Antonio Abren, Christian County

Dark Horse- Josh McCoy, Ohio County

Kline wins easy, second will be a bit harder to guess. I have Dyess pulling off the upset over Ruttman which will be the one of the few black spots on a good day for Calloway. Mathis squeaks by Ervin.

1. Chance Oxford, Union County

2. Chance Collins, UHA

3. Jack Haynes, Calloway County

4. Camerin Cole, Christian County

5. Gideon Ellison, Fort Campbell

6. Colin Stevens, Trigg County

Dark Horse- Kestin McClain, McCracken County

Oxford and Collins cruise to the finals, Oxford cruises to the win. Haynes upsets Cole for third while Ellison wrestles the tournament of his life to somehow get 5th.

1. BJ Miller, Ohio County

2. Derek Miller, Paducah Tilghman

3. Tim Pike, Union County

4. Logan Thomas, Calloway County

5. Dalton Putty, UHA

6. Justin Crabtree, Trigg County

Dark Horse- Evan Martin, McCracken County

Miller and Miller will be one of the premier finals matches, and one I am certain Miller will win. I have Thomas pulling off the upset over Putty, but I almost put Putty in at third so know that this is a close weight.

1. Wes Gray, Caldwell County

2. Nicholas Walls, Calloway County

3. Diion Leavell, Christian County

4. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

5. Dominick Avery, Union County

6. Blake Brown, Ohio County

Dark Horse- Malik Cunningham, Trigg County

A couple upsets at this weight, Gray over Walls in the finals and Ryder over Avery in the quarters. With Ryder I am letting the opinion's of others sway mine, I have been consistently told for almost two years that Ryder has the talent to make it, and if he wrestles a good tournament then perhaps he will.

1. Jackson Oxford, Union County

2. Ivan Lawson, Hoptown

3. Kobe Perry, Christian County

4. Braden Sperry, Caldwell County

5. Mario Perez, Calloway County

6. Jaishon Faishon, Trigg County

Dark Horse- Christian Barefield, UHA

Perry loses to Lawson in the semi's, Perez nearly gets by Sperry but Sperry wins the match with a tough third period.

1. Nathan Williams, Hoptown

2. Avery Buckman, Union County

3. Kenny Sells, Christian County

4. Will Crabtree, UHA

Dark Horse-

Well this is embarrassing, I can't think of 4 other people at this weight with everyone changing weight classes. I'd just guess from track but well I don't actually have the brackets so I don't know who is at this weight. Maybe AJ Frias from Fort Campbell?

1. Gino Haywood, Fort Campbell

2. Keyven Sells, Christian County

3. Isaiah Lawson, Hoptown

4. Alex Hideg, McCracken County

5. David Woods, Calloway County

6. Caleb Woods, Caldwell County

Dark Horse- Union County

Haywood pulls out the win over Sells who previously upsets Lawson in a barnburner semifinal match. Hideg barely beats Woods to make it to state for McCracken.

1. Xavier Pate, Christian County

2. Conner Keenan, Fort Campbell

3. Kane Morris, Union County

4. Cody Jackson, Calloway County

5. KyTyven Anthony, Hoptown

Dark Horse-

Similar to 160 last second weight changes have left me unsure of who else to put in here. Keenan's results in Tennessee are incredible and I have to give him credit, thus I have him beating Morris and he could even beat Pate too.

1. Cole Sherman, Union County

2. Phil Bradley, UHA

3. Eugene Butler, Hoptown

4. Dylan Marlow, Ohio County

5. Tige Littlefield, Caldwell County

6. Anthony Adkinson, Fort Campbell

Dark Horse- Alex Billiter, Christian County

195 suddenly became a very crowded weight at the last second. I think Bradley avenges his loss and gives Sherman a good match in the finals. Billiter would be in the top 6 but he is giving up a lot of size.

1. Zach Farris, Ohio County

2. Conner Sherman, Union County

3. Colby Culver, Calloway County

4. Chance Orr, Paducah Tilghman

5. Marcus Green, Christian County

6. Michael Bruce, Hoptown

Dark Horse- Ben McGregor, Caldwell County

I think Farris finishes second in the state, and his first step is getting revenge over Sherman at regionals. Culver continues the Calloway run with the upset over Orr. Green nearly makes it to state but runs into the on fire Culver.

1. Raynel Brown, Union County

2. David Nikolao, Fort Campbell

3. Luke Shaffer, Ohio County

4. Maurice Catlett, Trigg County

5. Logan Thomas, Hoptown

6. David Clark, Calloway County

Dark Horse- Mahlon Ray, Christian County

I think Nikolao catches some leftovers of whatever magic gave Jorstad the ability to make the finals last year, but Shaffer finishes higher at state. Catlett barely gets the win over Thomas.

You're crazy Regaldo is going to get smoked by Micah! Micah is a better wrestler. Regaldo won't be top 8 probably this yeat

I need some help here can a kid have his weight class changed after the regional meeting.we had a kid put into a weight class that he didn't even wrestle off for  and the coach said he thought it was a better chance for the kid to be at 132.that kid being the coaches son.the last wrestle off he lost two back to back matches!thanks for any help.

Nothing you can do after the seeding meeting.

That's not true in our region. Kids can be moved or replaced. But they have to do it at the coaches meeting after wieght in and redo the brackets

You're crazy Regaldo is going to get smoked by Micah! Micah is a better wrestler. Regaldo won't be top 8 probably this yeat

Don't quote the whole post just for that haha

Also I have no issues with you giving motivation to a kid I like but I should point out that Regaldo has pinned Daniel Knight (who beat Ervin), beat Tyler Ward who also has a win over Knight if you think the pin was a fluke, and Regaldo beat Ochsenbein who was ranked 6th, only the second guy to beat him this year. So I do have good reason to predict Regaldo first. But if you want to predict the Micah upset I won't fault you, the blood is strong with Micah

I understand that I was meaning nothing as in there isn't much you can do if that's the weight class the coach wants the kid in

I understand that I was meaning nothing as in there isn't much you can do if that's the weight class the coach wants the kid in

I may have misunderstood. I agree it's the coaches discretion to place kids where he feels they will be best , but I was stating that changes are permitted after the seed meeting, atleast in my region. I'm not 100% if this is a state rule.

I'm pretty sure changes can be made in the coaches meeting the day of the tournament state wide not 100% sure though

I'm pretty sure changes can be made in the coaches meeting the day of the tournament state wide not 100% sure though

it is state wide. It's in the regional checklist and guide posted on khsaa website.

okay i just found out a wrestler from Trigg co. region 1 was bumped up without a wrestle off. Known that the wrestler beat the coaches (SON) twice and that was the last wrestle off. But the coach still put his son at 132 and bumped the other kid up. How can this be reversed? 

Only if the coach is willing

I may have misunderstood. I agree it's the coaches discretion to place kids where he feels they will be best , but I was stating that changes are permitted after the seed meeting, atleast in my region. I'm not 100% if this is a state rule.

Don't quote the whole post just for that haha

Also I have no issues with you giving motivation to a kid I like but I should point out that Regaldo has pinned Daniel Knight (who beat Ervin), beat Tyler Ward who also has a win over Knight if you think the pin was a fluke, and Regaldo beat Ochsenbein who was ranked 6th, only the second guy to beat him this year. So I do have good reason to predict Regaldo first. But if you want to predict the Micah upset I won't fault you, the blood is strong with Micah

Daniel knight from Christian County???

Looking at the so called predictions for the first time today. All I can say is wow because you obviously have not been tracking or have been listening to the wrong folks! There are going to be a few of your #1 and #2s upset because I have a feeling there are a couple that may not qualify for state. I am not going to expand on any additional thoughts on that matter but I have a strong feeling about three of your weight classes and some major upsets meaning will not be in Lexington. I have a feeling there has been some sand bagging individuals on the season from the looks of things. Anyway, good luck to all of the guys and wrestle hard!!

Looking at the so called predictions for the first time today. All I can say is wow because you obviously have not been tracking or have been listening to the wrong folks! There are going to be a few of your #1 and #2s upset because I have a feeling there are a couple that may not qualify for state. I am not going to expand on any additional thoughts on that matter but I have a strong feeling about three of your weight classes and some major upsets meaning will not be in Lexington. I have a feeling there has been some sand bagging individuals on the season from the looks of things. Anyway, good luck to all of the guys and wrestle hard!!

Please do expand on your vague crystal ball upsets.

Please do expand on your vague crystal ball upsets.

Obviously, you did not understand when IN_grappler said, "I am not going to expand on any additional thoughts on that matter". If he believes there are individuals that are currently ranked one or two that will not make it then that is his opinion. I do respect the fact that he is not going to bash any wrestler or athlete on a public forum. We all know upsets happen in this sport and that part will never change!! 

I assure you I have been tracking all season, your opinion is your own and it is your right to have it. I would prefer you posted your own predictions (no need to bash kids to do it) for a very simple reason. You can come on here after regionals and say "oh ya it happened exactly like I predicted it" and nobody can prove you wrong because you didn't share your opinions now. It's easy to say "man these are all wrong" and not post your own theories, actually manning up and posting what you think will happen is something else entirely. 

If I have learned anything from the five years I have been doing this for region 1, it's that you can throw rankings completely out the window come the regional tournament. Things happen at the regional tournament that nobody can predict (i.e. Travon Thacker winning the region, Billy Moore finishing 5th, Jake Jorstad over Raynel Brown). I do my best to try and mix in predictions of who will defend their ranking, who will finally get over the hump, and who will blindside everyone.

I will also admit I have gone nowhere near as in depth in explaining my predictions as I have in the past. Student teaching and coaching have sapped a lot of the time I would spend writing out the long analysis I would boil down to a paragraph. If people feel I didn't explain my decisions enough I can elaborate on any (or all) of the predictions

I assure you I have been tracking all season, your opinion is your own and it is your right to have it. I would prefer you posted your own predictions (no need to bash kids to do it) for a very simple reason. You can come on here after regionals and say "oh ya it happened exactly like I predicted it" and nobody can prove you wrong because you didn't share your opinions now. It's easy to say "man these are all wrong" and not post your own theories, actually manning up and posting what you think will happen is something else entirely. 

This, for the win.

Sign in to follow this