Sign in to follow this  
depperschmidt

recruiting

Just decided to start a thread for this topic because I saw another thread being taken over by this topic. First, I think this is more about politics than Wrestling.when you open a can of worms you never know where it will take you. Do the private schools have an advantage over public? I don't know or care. Does it hurt or help Wrestling in THIS state? This is the Question which should be debated. And how far do you go? There are people out there who would cry about A Coach with son's wrestling who get's a better job in another school system moves there with his family and some would call that RECRUITING. It's all B.S. Let the kid's wrestle,keep the politics as insignificant as possible. The more Kid's wrestling, the more competition there is, with more comp the level will be raised and all will benifit.

I am making no accusations nor allegations. only saying that all this yapping about recruiting is Bull. Let all the kids who want to wrestle to go for it. If a 8th Grader moves here because he thinks he can win a H.S. Championship, go for it. I get tired of all the politics about making rules to prohibit kids from wrestling, recruting, live in state for a year before elegible, whats next? if a kid moves going to hold him out a year? I do not understand what's the problem with just letting them wrestle and settle things on the mat.

Fully on board with ya. Who ever wants to wrestle let them. If a middle school kid is good enough and there are definitely quite a few that can compete at the varsity level private or public should be allowed to compete.

So does that mean that a youth or a middle schooler who participates for a Kentucky club, but lives out of state, can participate in the State Tournament Series?

I believe Khsaa would require him to be affiliated with a school program that is under their control. but if he went to school here and was in the school program I would not have a problem with it

Trinity and St. X had have lots of kids who live in Indiana and participate in varsity sports.

In general, I think recruiting high school kids is kind of distasteful, but with wrestling there are many schools that don't field teams or aren't competitive, so if a kid who is a good wrestler coming in wants to look for his best opportunity, I don't really have a problem.

There is a difference between a kid recruiting a school and a school recruiting a kid. Say a kid wants to attend a private school because of wrestling, or his friends go there, and his family choses to pay for tuition thats fine. However if a school activily seeks out a perticular kid offers him free tuition in exchange for his athletic ability, then this is akin to paid scholorships. Typically private  schools are attended by kids in more afluent familys. I do not like being steriotypical but it seems wealthy people have historically sent their children to private schools in the idea that the education is better and that there are less destructive influences around. Affuence does not always equate to higher class as demonstrated over this past weekend.

Now, I know there are rivalries and grudges between different schools, citys, and regions. But we all are Kentucky wrestling, whether private,public,relocated,rich,or poor. petty squables about about our differences detract from our common goal of shapeing our children into becoming honest,respectful,honorable,productive members of society.

• Upvote 2

The Fayette Co. Public School system and the Lexington area private schools (Lex Catholic, LCA) have had a participation agreement in place over the past few years, whose root intent was to curb in-city athletic transfers for the major sports.  It has a long and interesting back history and has made the news again recently, as Catholic has withdrawn the agreement.  I will offer no personal opinion here of the merits of the agreement or of Catholic's withdrawal from it, but you can read a good summation of the conditions it imposed on the participants in this public newspaper article:

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/10/29/3507569/lexington-catholic-ending-athletics.html

Suffice to say that public vs. private "recruiting" has been a well-discussed topic in Lexington for a long, long time.  The other interesting side note is that, with this agreement being locally applied and enforced, KHSAA state alignment keeps both public and private Lexington schools in the local geographic districts / regional alignments that you'd expect.  So, regardless of the sport you're discussing or any play / don't play agreements that may be in place, Lexington public and private schools usually end up being required to compete against each other at the end of the season anyway, in order to advance in post-season play.

I know it says they hope to continue play during the year, but I can tell you it will not happen. Fayette County will not compete with lexington catholic unless it's at another schools event (i.e. Lex Cath and tates Creek wrestle at capital city) or at regions and state. This will definitely cause issues with wrestling. Now lex cath will not be able to go to 5 star classic, defender of the mat, t.c.i., or dual with any fayette county schools.

Yes, while I've seen no official statement yet, I've heard conversation that supports your assertion.  I'll reiterate that I make no judgement here on the merit or lack of merit of the Fayette arrangement.   I merely present it as an example of what's occurred in one community over the topic of in-city transfers for athletic reasons.

I am making no accusations nor allegations. only saying that all this yapping about recruiting is Bull. Let all the kids who want to wrestle to go for it. If a 8th Grader moves here because he thinks he can win a H.S. Championship, go for it. I get tired of all the politics about making rules to prohibit

Having been involved with both a public and a private school wrestling program, the biggest difference is THE PARENTS. And, not because of their wealth but, their involvement in their child's education. 

• Upvote 2

Sign in to follow this