Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

State dual qualifiers

Consider yourself lucky you get any school help. Fayette County does not give a dime to any program. Not transportation, tournament fees, equipment, nothing! It's all raised by the team.

We are lucky in that fact then.  because If that were true here we would not have a team and I would be somewhere else. 

We had a chance.  We have a punchers chance against Newport and will find out next wed.  I believe it will come down to 1 match as to who will win the dual. 

We did that Bulldog. Teams still didn't attend. Where's the compromise

We just said they had to be done by January 17th yet 19 schools chose not to attend.

OK I did not know that.  I am not the top dog here.  I have no idea how things are done now, it has changed since i last was here 6 years ago.  Our head coach is just now getting organized to where he may know when the meetings are.  

It comes down to each sectional.  You should make sure that every team had a dual with every other team in the sectional at some time before the state duals.  It shouldn't matter if its the 1st weekend or the week prior.  You take that win or lose and count it toward qualifying to state duals.  We wrestled 2 of the teams earlier in the year.  That could have counted toward the sectional qualifier.  It shouldn't be hard to schedule duals with everyone in your sectional.  As you mentioned it was done geographically.  It does not have to be one event to qualify. 

I wouldn't have a problem dueling teams on different dates, even at night. We didn't have a chance to qualify but attended anyway and got our butts kicked. I'm all for growing the sport and State Duels does just that. Teams wanted it to be split so small schools would have better shot. Well now they have it so they need to step up and take advantage of what they got. The real answer is to get the KHSAA involved, but don't know if that's possible. I'm sure it's been tried.

I wouldn't have a problem dueling teams on different dates, even at night. We didn't have a chance to qualify but attended anyway and got our butts kicked. I'm all for growing the sport and State Duels does just that. Teams wanted it to be split so small schools would have better shot. Well now they have it so they need to step up and take advantage of what they got. The real answer is to get the KHSAA involved, but don't know if that's possible. I'm sure it's been tried.

there has been talks about giving it to khsaa before

Back in the dino age in NKY we had a master schedule.  You were assigned a week where you had to wrestle a team on or before that week.  Then the next week and so on.  It worked out because the small teams that could not hold home meets or the big schools did not want to waste a date only wrestling 3-6 matches because of forfeits could piggyback on another dual, and make it a tri or quad.  By the end of the year every team in the district had wrestled each other. It helped with seeding the district tourney. 

Back in the dino age in NKY we had a master schedule. You were assigned a week where you had to wrestle a team on or before that week. Then the next week and so on. It worked out because the small teams that could not hold home meets or the big schools did not want to waste a date only wrestling 3-6 matches because of forfeits could piggyback on another dual, and make it a tri or quad. By the end of the year every team in the district had wrestled each other. It helped with seeding the district tourney.

only problem is most people seem to hate week night wrestling now.

The problem with wrestling on weeknights now are the descent plans. I understand why they're necessary and lack of serious weight cutting has improved the sport but this has been a negative side effect. You either have to make weight three times in an eight day period or wrestle up a weight and mess up the following weekend, but still have to monitor it.

On the other side having a week night meet actually helps the wrestler maintain and control his weight. I have seen swings between after the weekend comming in to practice 9-10 lbs. over and starvation for the rest of the week. 

Back in the stone age, we did have dual matches during the week,  If that were still done then you could use those results as the

qualifying events and not have to use a weekend for all the teams to attend.

I really liked weeknight duals when I wrestled and they usually got more fans to attend. But this was before we had weight dropping regulation and usually the majority of the team would bump up one weight or we'd throw in a tough JV kid to help in the lineup. But I realize that just isnt an option for most schools. We  probably had over 50 wrestlers and several of our "JV" kids wouldve been state placers if they weren't behind studs.  The fact is there is no way to tweak the schedule to help out the small teams with less than 10 kids. Obvs coach mccoy has done everything he can to make this dual tourney accomodating to everyone....and yet still teams are bailing on it. They are short-handed in every way and need to build their program in order to be flexible on scheduling.  But they can't build the program until they get exposure and opportunities to compete in cool events like state duals.  So its like a chicken and the egg argument.

Ok. I understand not being able to go for financial reasons because it is Union. But I do not like that teams use that as an excuse. Your sectional should have made a date for everyone to attend. Sectionals were done geographically.

Not piling on or anything, but I have one question. If the sectionals were done geographically, why was Woodford County competing at John Hardin? Wouldn't it have made sense to send them to Lexington?

I was very pleased this spring when I was asked to be the sectional rep for Small School Section 2.  I immediately contacted the other coaches that were in our section and started to plan a date that would work for everyone.  The previous year things had been way out of whack with numerous attempts to hold our sectional qualifier all being snowed out.  I wanted to do my best to avoid that this year.

We had set a date for January 7th.  A weeknight, where we all could meet and have our sectionals.  A wrench was thrown in when two schools from Lexington were added to our sectional.  I informed them of the date, however, they told me they could not compete on a weeknight.  I spoke with every coach and when I realized that some were committed to Saturday events already I decided to hold the event on both days (the 7th and the 17th).  I had our gym reserved on the 7th and planned on having Newport, Walton, Holmes, and Cov Cath attend.  Then I would hold Saturday the 17th for the Lexington schools to come up and compete.    I informed each team that we would take the best two teams who wrestled in the sectionals.  I informed everyone that if we (Scott High) lost to any team and there was a controversy that we would forfeit our spot and they could attend state duals.  It was then that some teams began to pull out.  Some had small teams and injuries were taking their toll, others had scheduling conflicts, one team folded.  Cov Cath told me they had other things going on, (first home meet in teams history, congrats) etc. and pulled out.  Walton sent me an E-mail notifying me that they were not going to compete in the sectional qualifiers due to having a young team and other commitments.  Tim at Newport said he was down for whatever we needed to do.  I had not heard from Holmes,  My calls were not returned.  I would have still wrestled on the 7th regardless who showed up.  

All in all I tried my best to accommodate everyone, I know Saturdays are difficult, however, if competing for state duals and being a representative of your area is as important to everyone as it is important to us.  Things wouldn't be this hard.

I know wrestling is an individual sport for most people, but at Scott high we are a family.  We compete together, we train together, we bleed together, we win together, we lose together, we cry together, we grow together.   Wrestling ends for 95% of student athletes at 18 years old.  5% get to lengthen their career 4-5 years by attending college.  Regardless at 25, all you are left with are the lessons you learn to become a good man.  I am now 26 and continue to strive to be considered a good man.  

That rant now over.   Scott High needs teams to attend our senior night on Jan 28th.  If any school would like to come up, we would gladly do a home and away series for the upcoming years.  Hopefully some sectional schools would like to come.  

It was done geographically and to try to align more with the newregions. They were in with Oldham and others. One complaint was teams couldn't see teams from their region so we tried to accommodate both.

Sign in to follow this