Sign in to follow this  
PinAndWin

Weight Classes toughest to weakest

Interested in hearing what everyone thinks.  Anyone care to give their opinion of what you would rank the weight classes in order from toughest to weakest.  Just off the top of my head.  Two of the toughest I thought were 113 and 126.  But I tend to focus more on the lighter weight classes. Just wanted to see what others thought.  I will have to give it some more thought though in order to rank them. 

Personally I believe 170 was the weakest it seemed as if the competition level wasn't up to par with the other weight classes. I would say 182 was pretty tough, a lot of good wrestlers with no clear favorite to speak of.

113 was very tough because there wasn't a clear cut favorite out of 5-6 top kids. Vega/Binder in quarters only to face Scheffer. Smith getting beat early and wrestling back for 3/4. Hernandez on other side....tough bracket. 126 was thought to have a clear cut favorite...and Trae didn't have a close match until carr stunned him. Duncan wrestled him tough, but he was never in jeopardy of losing. Carr/Austin was crazy, Duncan/Austin for third was tight too. 182 got interesting when Courtney, Smith, Frankrone, Matthews were still in it.

I don't know if scheffer just peaked at the right time or what but he looked like he was on a different level than vega and hernandez. and both of them are good quality wrestlers.

Not sure 170 was weak but Mathews the runner up at 182 handled Meiman easily in their match earlier this yr , hats off to Meiman for bumping up though probably that attitude that earned him his title !!!

I think the reality is that all weight classes are tough. It takes a lot of work just to make it to the tournament. Once there I think you better wrestle your best tournament of year. The competition was awesome to watch. Ky has some unbelievable wrestlers.

I think you have to state some criteria to answer that question. Some have said weight classes were tough just because there is no clear cut favorite. That can also mean there are no studs either. And vice versa if Brock and Sean had ended up at the same weight and every other kid in the state dropped or jumped up that doesn't necessarily make it the toughest either. Are we talking to win it (ie beat a Brock or Sean or Austin)or just place.

I don't always like the politically correct answers like my friend Dutch but I think he has a point. The level of competition is rising so fast in the state that young kids are jumping right in and competing well that it is almost possible to gauge and truly understand what tough is.

For my money earning a medal appeared to be toughest at 182 and 113 with 126 and 138 right behind.

182 was the toughest it seemed with four experinced well rounded studs who an actually wrestle anywhere and do well and have done so , but looking at it , the person who seemed to have the most potential the soph Frankrone , won the day .

Lightweights are always hard to predict any gaggle of em

Can win one week and lose to another stud the next , Of course Smith , Carr and kids like Wells will seperate from the pack shortly

I take that back , Carr already has so I will add Erdman in there .

I've created simple formulas in the past to answer this sort of question. Vague opinions are fun and simple but unreliable.

The only question with a formula is what criteria we want to look at as most important, just as Ranger said. I have those that I consider important but public opinion varies

I THOUGHT 195 WAS AN EXTREMELY STRONG FIELD.DARRIUS PARROTT,DEVIN MARROW BOTH UNDEFEATED UNTIL THE FINALS. ELIJAH MILLER POTENTIALLY NEXT YRS STATE CHAMPION COMING IN FOURTH.TREVOR THOMPSON,AARON STEVENS WHO TOOK PARROTT TO A 5-3 DECISION SAME AS ELIJAH MILLER.MARROW AND THOMPSON SEMI GOING TO 8-7.MARK SAUNDERS AND TREVOR THOMPSON GOING AT IT 2 TIMES.MILLER 3 STRAIGHT VICTORIES OVER ALEX MCINTOSH BY FALL,JAKE FOOKS BY FALL AND A 12-6 DECISION OVER TREVOR THOMPSON.THIS DIVISION WAS WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION.NOT SAYING IT WAS THE BEST BUT WHEN 22/32 ARE SENIORS AND JUNIORS YOU TEND TO SEE SOME FIREWORKS

Hvy seemed wide open with a clear champ and

Pretty clear runner up .

220 seemed same as last yr with a more dominant champ and the same

Returning SR runner up a couple of unexpected upsets of kids who have proven their self over and over to be top level . Meaning I saw Tucker lose a couple unexpected and get beat up

Pretty good in one he won , a bit tougher than previously thought with the same

Two making finals .

195 having a couple undefeateds and fairly close matches all over seemed tough Trevor has been on a down cycle for a few weeks obviously not himself or the same wrestler from earlier in the season , Parrot being very sound and athletic seemed to distance himself a bit , Miller wrestling very well could have just as easily been champ with a twist or turn it call his way . Same for Marrow.

182 seriously - diesel with a lot of buildup and four obvious studs who have us some great matches , Courtney Frankrone was epic and Mathews who had not wrestled Smith who had wins over Courtney and Frankrone proved different people

Match up differently with an impressive win over Smith who throughout the year Dominated this class ,probably what I would consider toughest.

170 Meiman . Proved he was the Man in a class that had a few questionable matches ,

160 Lampe as expected but not without some drama and challenge .

152 a powerhouse Sr taking his second or third title i think very dominant .

145 I'm lost

138 Fausz

132 Brock

126 very competitive with a surprise ending

120 Boston - Erdman was huge at this weight and should be dominant next yr wherever he goes minus Carr .

113 I am far removed from these weights but it seemed deep

106 same as 113 deep exciting the lower weights with a lot of talent and depth but , not the top end guys like at 120- 138 in the top spot or spots .,

This yr 182 seemed to be the most exciting not national level heavy hitters like at 120-138 or 220 , but four who I would say could do well anywhere and a soph champ who has potential to make waves as high as he wants .

Toughest class - 182

Toughest to win - 220

Most Depth from top to bottom ? Probably a lighter weight class that I could not determine doubt it's 138 or 132 or 126 or 120 with so many people scattering , 113 had to look inviting so it was probably loaded , and all the best underclassmen guys are usually there or 106 , .

Seemed pretty even as far as toughness from too to bottom for different reasons .

Just a good tournament , congrats to all who made it made the podium and

Hvy seemed wide open with a clear champ and

Pretty clear runner up .

220 seemed same as last yr with a more dominant champ and the same

Returning SR runner up a couple of unexpected upsets of kids who have proven their self over and over to be top level . Meaning I saw Tucker lose a couple unexpected and get beat up

Pretty good in one he won , a bit tougher than previously thought with the same

Two making finals .

195 having a couple undefeateds and fairly close matches all over seemed tough Trevor has been on a down cycle for a few weeks obviously not himself or the same wrestler from earlier in the season , Parrot being very sound and athletic seemed to distance himself a bit , Miller wrestling very well could have just as easily been champ with a twist or turn it call his way . Same for Marrow.

182 seriously - diesel with a lot of buildup and four obvious studs who have us some great matches , Courtney Frankrone was epic and Mathews who had not wrestled Smith who had wins over Courtney and Frankrone proved different people

Match up differently with an impressive win over Smith who throughout the year Dominated this class ,probably what I would consider toughest.

170 Meiman . Proved he was the Man in a class that had a few questionable matches ,

160 Lampe as expected but not without some drama and challenge .

152 a powerhouse Sr taking his second or third title i think very dominant .

145 I'm lost

138 Fausz

132 Brock

126 very competitive with a surprise ending

120 Boston - Erdman was huge at this weight and should be dominant next yr wherever he goes minus Carr .

113 I am far removed from these weights but it seemed deep

106 same as 113 deep exciting the lower weights with a lot of talent and depth but , not the top end guys like at 120- 138 in the top spot or spots .,

This yr 182 seemed to be the most exciting not national level heavy hitters like at 120-138 or 220 , but four who I would say could do well anywhere and a soph champ who has potential to make waves as high as he wants .

Toughest class - 182

Toughest to win - 220

Most Depth from top to bottom ? Probably a lighter weight class that I could not determine doubt it's 138 or 132 or 126 or 120 with so many people scattering , 113 had to look inviting so it was probably loaded , and all the best underclassmen guys are usually there or 106 , .

Seemed pretty even as far as toughness from too to bottom for different reasons .

Just a good tournament , congrats to all who made it made the podium and Attempted it .

I would say 182 period

But everyone

Could argue points , say 220 with the same two finalists from last yr and kids with great records like Mueller who was a runne up at Gmvas in a tough multi state field losing multiple matches ,

Betting 113 was deep

Talent meaning there were about 14 wrestlers that had the ability to finish top 5 in that weight class.  I few returning placers didn't place in that weight class.  There was nowhere to hide, no easy match.  If you won, your next match was a high ranking, skilled, tough oppenent.  If you lost, same thing. 

Talent meaning there were about 14 wrestlers that had the ability to finish top 5 in that weight class.  I few returning placers didn't place in that weight class.  There was nowhere to hide, no easy match.  If you won, your next match was a high ranking, skilled, tough oppenent.  If you lost, same thing.

I like your criteria in determining toughest weight class--"There was nowhere to hide, no easy match.  If you won, your next match was a high ranking, skilled, tough oppenent.  If you lost, same thing." 126 fits that pretty well. Also the region match-ups at 126 made it even more challenging. That's my vote--126.

Sign in to follow this