Sign in to follow this  
pmiller13

Weather

It seems odd to use the KHSAA growth allowances but not use their certification program.  I know Ranger tried to get the state to agree to this a couple years ago, but didn't get enough votes.  No to certification but yes to "growth" allowances seems somewhat contradictory to me.  Can someone shed light on the thought process here?  I wasn't at the meetings, so I have no idea what the coaches had to say.

If a kid needs a few #'s to naturally grow, maybe coaches should recommend a higher weight class at the beginning of the season and/or accept jumping into a higher class.  From what I've seen, the weight allowances are being used to drop a class more than what they're designed to do, which is to allow cushion for growth.  W/out a certification program, I don't think we should have any allowances.  Scratch weight all year. 

As I remember it, most of the opposition came from the Club teams.  School affiliated teams, for the most part, were going to be able to piggyback with high school team to get the bodyfat testing done.  Club teams would have to secure testing on their own, which would likely mean even more costs for already extremely tight budgets.  

I don't know that we need to go all the way with bodyfat testing and descent plans.  I would like to see some sort of certification system, where a wrestler has to make a scratch weight in one (or several events) by a certain date (Maybe Christmas??) in order to be able to wrestle at that weight come postseason. Then the growth allowance becomes a legitimate allowance, rather than a way to drop a class in the post season.

As I remember it, most of the opposition came from the Club teams. School affiliated teams, for the most part, were going to be able to piggyback with high school team to get the bodyfat testing done. Club teams would have to secure testing on their own, which would likely mean even more costs for already extremely tight budgets.

I don't know that we need to go all the way with bodyfat testing and descent plans. I would like to see some sort of certification system, where a wrestler has to make a scratch weight in one (or several events) by a certain date (Maybe Christmas??) in order to be able to wrestle at that weight come postseason. Then the growth allowance becomes a legitimate allowance, rather than a way to drop a class in the post season.

I completely agree. It seems logical that a wrestler would have to make scratch weight at least 3 times prior to being able to qualify for the allowance. The vast majority of the kids using the allowance appear to be those dropping a class not those actually growing.

How does an allowance give them "less distance to go?"  I'd argue it promotes weight cutting.  The proof is there.  Most kids wrestle their natural weight UNTIL the allowance is given...then they drop. 

Been there and done that. The ms association used to have a system in place where you had to make it twice (I think) before you could use the growth allowance. But it wasn't considered very effective or efficient so it was voted out. Here are a couple problems I see with it:

1) paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. I bet 10% of the coaches forget their coaches cards for the event tomorrow. And we expect them to maintain weigh in sheets for 20+ kids all season.

2) just making weight for a weigh in means nothing. A kid could kill himself for a couple of worthless weeknight matches to meet the criteria and never step on the mat or compete at that weight.

3) also my understanding in the prior system was there was some concern that coach so-and-so has a buddy who is an official who signs off on a couple weigh in sheets so a kid can make it

4) it over complicates an already crazy day like state with a weigh in where different kids are allowed to weigh different amounts.

5) it does nothing to address the appropriateness of a kid wrestling a specific weight. The nationally agreed upon method for this is the body fat testing that is used virtual across the country at the high school level. I'm against doing anything just to do it. If we adopt a process it should have some tangible benefit.

Ultimately, the whole weight issue comes down to coaches and parents encouraging (really demanding) the appropriate behaviors. Any system out there can be beat pretty easily.

Let's enforce and follow the existing rules, minus the weight certification, which seems impractical at the MS level. Coaches need to know the rules and hold their team accountable.

Rule 4-4-3 . . . At anytime the use of sweat boxes; hot showers; whirlpools; rubber, vinyl and plastic-type suits; or similar artificial heating devices; diuretics; or other methods for quick weight reduction purposes is prohibited and shall disqualify an individual from competition.

The NCAA also prohibits heating a wrestling room above 79.

I was just out of college when the three guys died cutting weight. It was a much worse time for collegiate wrestling than the recent ordeal with the sport almost being removed from the Olympics.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1011763/index.htm

The changes made by the NCAA and NFHS have helped. My favorite rule change was making the weighins 2 hours prior to competing rather than the day before competition.

I'm not sure we need to do much more other than to enforce the current rules.

I'm 100% in favor of body fat testing. Adopting a weight allowance from High School for MS doesn't make sense for a couple reasons. One, as mentioned, HS kids had the body fat test/hydration test. Two, the ratio is way off for the lighter weight classes. When you're dealing w/ 5 lb weight increments, we're pretty much tempting the kids/coaches/parents to drop.