Sign in to follow this  
J.W.

November 10, 2013 Veterans Memorial Youth Tournament

Due to low numbers registered (24) this tournament is cancelled for Sunday.  The Saturday middle school session is still a go with full brackets.

Blue will be there. I tried sending a message to the email but it said it was rejected.

Name: Blue Fletcher

Weight: 75lbs

If you need more info let me know. Thnx

The 9th is the actual MS tournament.  The 10th is all elementary and I am seeing if there is enough response to adding a JV MS division for that day.

I registered Blue on the web site from your flyer. Not 100% sure it went through could you let me know. Thanks

Yes I have Blue registered.

Thanks, I wish Johnson County was bringing their middle school. But we've not got started yet, should be next week. Should be hitting some tourneys pretty soon.

Besides my own team numbers are extremely low.  If I dont receive any commitments or confirmation by Thursday at 3:00 PM, I will more than likely have to cancel the Sunday (Elementary) session.

So if you plan to attend, send me an email to jory.whorton@gmail.com and let me know.

If you have already registered I will let you know Thursday night.

Unfortunately, the elementary numbers are too low to continue for this week, Sunday elementary session is cancelled.  Thanks for those that were going to support.

We are looking forward to the event tomorrow. First tourney of the season and there looks to be some very good match-ups! Several strong weight classes to watch.  

We are looking forward to the event tomorrow. First tourney of the season and there looks to be some very good match-ups! Several strong weight classes to watch.  

Who are the ones to watch?

Both whorton boys, Trenton Johnson, Dylan gray,Zane brown just to name a few. Should be some good matches.

Dont forget Mason Smith and Ryan Moore!!

Very well ran tournament. Got to see some great match ups.

Thanks Dutch... apparently no all feel that way.....

"I have spoken to a numerous amount of coaches at the John Hardin tournament, every one of them had said Jory was printing off the bout sheets before the time was up for the next round. We all feel that it is wrong that you've done this. You asked for a competitive tournament but you don't give the kids ample time to rest before wrestling again. This is not about just my wrestler, this is about every wrestler who hasn't had time to rest. You have to remember these are middle school wrestlers, we are trying to introduce these kids to the sport, not turn them away."

j

Joe Gronefeld

Head wrestling coach

Turkey Foot Middle School

Great job today! You ran a lot of matches in a very efficient manner. I was glad we weren't there until midnight! Our kids had a great time and it was the first MS tournament for everyone of them. None were turned off. Thanks for a great day of wrestling!

Great job today! You ran a lot of matches in a very efficient manner. I was glad we weren't there until midnight! Our kids had a great time and it was the first MS tournament for everyone of them. None were turned off. Thanks for a great day of wrestling!

DITTO!

Good job on a well run tournament. I love the trackwrestling. No problems here on time between matches. First time in long time we were out of the gym before dark. Saw a few good finals matches.

"I have spoken to a numerous amount of coaches at the John Hardin tournament, every one of them had said Jory was printing off the bout sheets before the time was up for the next round. We all feel that it is wrong that you've done this. You asked for a competitive tournament but you don't give the kids ample time to rest before wrestling again. This is not about just my wrestler, this is about every wrestler who hasn't had time to rest. You have to remember these are middle school wrestlers, we are trying to introduce these kids to the sport, not turn them away."

j

Joe Gronefeld

Head wrestling coach

I personally think that this issue should have been addressed with Jory in person not on a public forum. I can tell you that running a large tournament is a difficult task. I would hope that the results of the 92lb finals isn't the reason to call out a coach.

I think the tournament was very organized from beginning till the end. The brackets also seemed very thought out. I would think most would agree that the two best kids in each weight met in the finals in most weights.

Thanks to Jory for having our team and good luck to all the kids this year.

j

Joe Gronefeld

Head wrestling coach

Way, way off base. I don't know what coaches he spoke to but I know I wasn't one of them, and everyone I spoke to loves the way this event is put together and run. We've been both years this event has been held, and aside from district/regional tourney's this is the best run tournament hands down. You won't find a better run regular season event.   Very organized, and there was plenty of rest between matches, especially once the first two rounds were done.  None of my kids had less than 1/2 hour between matches.  This event is a great way to start the season.  

Thank you Jory for your hard work and a great event!!  

I wasn't there and don't want to kick the hornet's nest. Aren't the bylaws specific that the min time between matches is 30 minutes? Is that what the complaint was about?

Good luck to all and let's keep working to make wrestling better for everyone in Ky.

Great tournament with some awesome competition! What a way to kick off the season. A lot of good stuff to update rankings with.

Regarding the rest time disagreement... Yes our bylaws state a 30 minute rest time and all post-season events will follow such. But many in-season events are USA sanctioned open events that include out of state teams that are not part of our league. The USA rule book allows for a 15 minute break. Even with that being said, given the variability in the way events are run and computers and bout sheet runners even tournament program timers will not be perfect. It is our responsibility as coaches to catch this before a match is wrestled. Once the match is over and wrestlers leave the mat it is a done deal. Yes we should all work to make sure kids have adequate rest time at our events given out technical limitations (I don't know of anyone using live mat side scoring).

Overall great event put on by Coach Whorton. I'm sure he will take this feedback and evaluate any issues that need to be addressed.