Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

State Champ Dual - 2011 vs. 1992

Was checking out Flo today and with Fargo coming up this weekend, the guys were discussing a potential matchup of past Fargo champs.  So, I figured why not do the same with past state champions.  As I tried to decide what years to use I considered limiting the options to years with consistent weight classes so there was no question about what weight to put kids at.  But I eventually decided on 1992 so I could recall the good ole days.  So here is the first...

1992                                                                 2011                                                  Fantasy result

103 Bobby Vanhoose (Johnson Central)                  Garth Yenter (Campbell Co)             Yenter 10-3  (2011 leads 3-0)

112 Brad Ervin (Union Co)                                        Brock Ervin (Union Co)                     Brock 8-4 (2011 leads 6-0)

119 Jeff Mosby (Central Hardin)                               TJ Ruschell (Ryle)                             Ruschell 9-3 (2011 leads 9-0)

125 Shawn Meckley (Woodford Co)                          John Fahy (Trinity)                           Fahy 14-4 (2011 leads 13-0)

130 Roy Gibbs (Harrison Co)                                   Jayce Carr (Union Co)                       Gibbs 5-4 (2011 leads 13-3)

135 Tony Condi (Henry Clay)                                   Kevin Cooper (Simon Kenton)          Cooper 14-8 (2011 leads 16-3)

140 Paul Kaiser (Simon Kenton)                               Zach Salyer (Johnson Central)         Kaiser 4-3 (2011 leads 16-6)

145 Chris Hagen (Campbell Co)                               Joe Whalen (Henry Clay)                  Hagen 9-1 (2011 leads 16-10)

152 Joey Roby (Caldwell Co)                                    Caleb Ervin (Union Co)                     Ervin 7-1 (2011 leads 19-10)

160 Willie Ennels (Hopkinsville)                                John Lampe (St Xavier)                     Ennels 8-7 (2011 leads 19-13)

171 Rob Rickman (Lafayette)                                   JJ Jude (Johnson Central)                Jude 6-5 (2011 leads 22-13)

189 Bruce Stepp (Sheldon Clark)                             Thomas Buckman (Union Co)           Stepp by pin (2011 leads 22-19)

215 na                                                                      Kyle Durbin (Eastern)                        ignore 215

275 Frank Wolnitzek (Holmes)                                  Aaron House (North Hardin)              Wolnitzek 3-2 UTB (TIE 22-22)

A few thoughts about the matches.  At 103 Yenter is way too technical for Vanhoose; almost gets the major, but Bobby holds off the last takedown.  Similar at 112, although I think the uncle Ervin would find a way to keep it close.  At 119, Ruschell's length would overcome the power of Mosby and TJ would pull away in the third period.  The first bonus points come into play at 125 as Fahy would dominate Meckley.  One of many barn burners at 130 as Gibbs gets a last second takedown to win it and get 1992 on the board.  Or maybe Carr gets called for stalling in the third to go down by 1.  Cooper dominates Condi at 135.  140 is another close battle as Salyer's defense keeps it tight, but Kaiser pulls it out.  The 1992 guys get their first bonus points as Hagen is too strong for Whalen at 145.  A third Ervin in the dual at 152, Caleb controls the match and cruises to an easy win.  160 and 171 were toss-ups in my mind.  4 really, really good wrestlers here.  At 160 you have the super athletic Ennels against the hard-working, blue collar Lampe.  I think Ennels steals enough cardio breaks to pull out the victory.  If we use today's rules and his laces are covered (no breaks to tie them), could be a 7-6 win for Lampe.  Similar at 171 you have the power of Jude against the old school funk of RIckman.  I think Jude makes Rickman wrestle more his style and wins a close one.  At 189 Stepp pins.  This is man versus boy.  I ignored 215, since the class didn't exist in 1992.  In a nail biter that determines the outcome of the dual, Wolnitzek rides out a dead tired House to get the win in the ultimate tiebreaker.  1992 wins the tiebreaker with one pin to none.

Ok ranger, who's going to be the coaches?

Great question.

1992 - Hoptown was very good in the mid 80s and early 90s so I will say head coach is Proesser with Bankemper as asst (back to back titles in 90-91).

2011 - I will go with Richard Brown as head coach and the crew at Union as assts. It seems like there have been so many guys contributing down at Union it is hard to pick one guy.

OK Ranger I'll  bite on this one. I'll even fill in the 220 with Frank Wolnitzek since he only weighed about 230 anyway and allow.  The Ultimate brides maid (3 time runner up) Neon Dion Washington to take the Hwt spot.

Here goes.

103 Yenter no doubt wins this match 13-3 because he lets him up 3 times, gets an excape and another taketown and a tilt   . 0-4

112.Brock controls this match but Brad knows how to keep it somewhat close for the team.  Score 7-2                                     0-7

119 TJ wins this one but close because he gets thrown to his back in the 1st                          Score 8-5                                    0-10

125 One of the better matches.  But Fahey is to much for Meckley                                          Score 5-1                                     0-13

130 I know he is your boy but Gibbs loses to Carr in a close scoring match                             Score 4-2                                     0-16

135 Condi is sly and strong but no match for Cooper                                                                Score 5-0                                     0-19

140 "92" finally gets on the board. Kaiser is way to powerful for Salyers                                   Score 5-2                                     3-19

145 Whalen no match for Hagen Score 11-2 (Hagan always gave up the 1st takedown.         Score 11-2                                    7-19

152 Robey may be one of the most under-rated of the bunch but can't take Ervin                    Score 7-1                                     7-22

160 Lampe is no match for Ennels but Ennels tires in the 2nd then takes a time out in the 3rd Score 13-5                                 11-22

171 If not for Ennels Rickman wins more state titles. Rickman wears Jude out                         Score 10-1                                 15-22

189 Stepp is a man                                                                                                                     Score Pin                                   21-22

220 Wolnitzek wins in typical fashion                                                                                          Score 6-2                                   24-22

Hwt Washington to big and nasty for House                                                                               Score 4-1                                   27-22

Winner 1992.

Wolnitzek goes Hwt he wins hounds down again 6-2 He could take down almost any HWT 1992 wins 24-22

Nice goo. Fun stuff to consider. Although with the lineup adjustment you made (dropping Wolnitzek to 215 and inserting Washington at hwt) I give 1992 a bigger advantage. I think Wolnitzek may pull out a pin or at least a major (you would know better than me) and Washington also wins.

What say you about the coaches?

Looks like we only disagree on 2 matches, 130 and 171. I have 171 as a toss-up so I could go either way; I'm good with rickman winning that one. But I will stick with my boy Gibbs at 130. 3 factors. First, you called it, he is my boy, my drill partner for 4 yrs. Second he was a senior who took out a potential 3-timer (storms would be in the conversation with some of the best if he wins that one). Third Carr losing to Hamilton hurts his mystique a bit. So going back to his junior season I just don't feel he wins it. But I do agree it would be tight.

If you're going off cardio for Ennels vs. Lampe I can honestly say that John Lampe's cardio is second to noboby!! He would gas most of his opponents if they made in into the 3rd period with him in high school. I don't know anything about Ennels to comment on him, but I think Lampe possibly has the best cardio of any wrestler i've watched over the last 6-7 yrs i've been involved in the sport.  

Oh lampe would have a huge cardio advantage no doubt. That was ennells weakness. But his freakish athleticism got him a lead and he had a nack for finding oxygen breaks.

Ranger,  This pretty cool.  You should do a series with this.  Hell you could do a a bracket of all places past and present.  I know you have alot of unused time on your hands.  lol

Ok Ranger, I'll play!

103 Yenter way way too much technique for Bobby. 12-3

4-0 (2011)

112 Brock, well Brock is Brock. Too much for Brad. 6-0

7-0 (2011)

119 Mosby is just a muscle. No technique, TJ wins this but because Jeff is strong he keeps it close. TJ wins 6-4

10-0 (2011)

125 I say this match is much closer. I like Fahy but Meckley just had something about him that caused problems for others.

Fahy wins 8-6

13-0 (2011)

130 Gibbs and Carr.

I like both of these guys but I think Carr wins. Roy not as technical or as quick as Carr.

Carr wins 7-3

16-0 (2011)

135 Cooper wins this match hands down over Condi.

11-0

20-0 (2011)

140 Kaiser and Salyers

Kaiser wins this in O/T by getting the takedown in the first minute. Regular time score is: 4-4

20-3 (2011), Team 92 gets on the board!

145 Hagen too much for Whalen. Him owning this weight class for two years in a row.

15-5

20-7 (2011 still leading)

152 Roby vs C. Ervin

Ervin majors here. 9-0

Too much technique.

24-7 (2011)

160 Willie Ennels vs John Lampe

I agree that Lampe will blow Ennels out o the water regarding conditioning. But Ennels is so fast within that first two minutes. Ennels always pulled out big moves and scored a lot of points or pinned within that first period. If Ennels puts Lampe on his back he isn't get up.

So I'm going to say that John doesn't see it coming and gets caught right of the bat and gets pinned. Now I will say this Lampe is way way better of hammer technical wrestler then Willie. But Ennels catches him.

Ennels pins, first period.

24-13 (2011 leads)

171 Rickman vs Jude.

Rickman beats Jude. 8-4

24-16 (2011)

189 Stepp pins here... No match at all

24-22 (2011) Team 92 closing the gap

275 Wolizak wins 6-1

24-25 Team 92 pulls it out!!!!!

Ok Ranger, I'll play!

103 Yenter way way too much technique for Bobby. 12-3

4-0 (2011)

112 Brock, well Brock is Brock. Too much for Brad. 6-0

7-0 (2011)

119 Mosby is just a muscle. No technique, TJ wins this but because Jeff is strong he keeps it close. TJ wins 6-4

10-0 (2011)

125 I say this match is much closer. I like Fahy but Meckley just had something about him that caused problems for others.

Fahy wins 8-6

13-0 (2011)

130 Gibbs and Carr.

I like both of these guys but I think Carr wins. Roy not as technical or as quick as Carr.

Carr wins 7-3

16-0 (2011)

135 Cooper wins this match hands down over Condi.

11-0

20-0 (2011)

140 Kaiser and Salyers

Kaiser wins this in O/T by getting the takedown in the first minute. Regular time score is: 4-4

20-3 (2011), Team 92 gets on the board!

145 Hagen too much for Whalen. Him owning this weight class for two years in a row.

15-5

20-7 (2011 still leading)

152 Roby vs C. Ervin

Ervin majors here. 9-0

Too much technique.

24-7 (2011)

160 Willie Ennels vs John Lampe

I agree that Lampe will blow Ennels out o the water regarding conditioning. But Ennels is so fast within that first two minutes. Ennels always pulled out big moves and scored a lot of points or pinned within that first period. If Ennels puts Lampe on his back he isn't get up.

So I'm going to say that John doesn't see it coming and gets caught right of the bat and gets pinned. Now I will say this Lampe is way way better of hammer technical wrestler then Willie. But Ennels catches him.

Ennels pins, first period.

24-13 (2011 leads)

171 Rickman vs Jude.

Rickman beats Jude. 8-4

24-16 (2011)

189 Stepp pins here... No match at all

24-22 (2011) Team 92 closing the gap

275 Wolizak wins 6-3

24-25 Team 92 pulls it out!!!!!

Ranger, This pretty cool. You should do a series with this. Hell you could do a a bracket of all places past and present. I know you have alot of unused time on your hands. lol

I already have another planned. I want to hit all my years in high school against recent years.

If you want coaching then (1992) Bankemper has to be the head coach.  He just came off 2 years state titles.  I like Ploesser (we called him the bird-man) but his teams were in the 80s.  He would be the assistant allong with Joe (Sr) and Parks.  (Woodford is starting another run in 92)  But you can't leave out Matney either.  Sheldon clark will have thier 10 minutes of fame in 94-95 (and you have to have young talent for assistants)

2011.  I think I will agree with you allow Brown to head the team with the Union Staff as the assistants.  C'mon Richard is large and loud this will work great in the corner.