Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Top 10 Best Kentucky Wrestlers from the past 5 years

I was going to go 10 years but I knew I would miss too many really talented guys From 2003-2007 since I can't check the results on the khsaa website. Someone a bit older then me would be better qualified to discuss that anyway, feel free to. I didn't even live in Kentucky until 2008. For those of us who struggle with math we are looking at wrestlers from the class of 2009 up to those still in high school. For the sake of arguments let's keep dominance in Kentucky #1 but we can consider collegiate achievements (would come into factor for the past 10 years list). No speculation on cases such as Brock Ervin who hasn't win his 5th... yet

1. John Fahy - The man, the myth, the legend. There are plenty of very good arguments why someone could be placed above him. But all one has to do is like at how dominant he was in each of his four titles. I had never seen someone who always liked so bored, where winning was so routine. I would honestly be very surprised if he doesn't end up a D1 AA and great wrestling minds I talk to agree

2. Harrison Courtney- Another 4 timer, may be lower on other people's lists considering he never had that tough of competition to win his titles. But I remember when I was wrestling Courtney's name struck fear into every wrestler's heart no matter what the pundits may say.

3. Caleb Ervin- The only thing holding Caleb back was the fact he wasn't a 4 timer, losing in the finals his freshman year. Was just as dominant as Fahy at the time, a kid just used to winning and expecting nothing else. Plus he is starting to turn heads in college.

4. Kevin Cooper- Another wrestler with an excellent argument for number one if it wasn't for his razor thin loss to Austin Palmer. I remember that match like it was yesterday. A more recent match people remember is Stephen Myer's 5-4 thriller over Cooper this season. Call this some fallback from Stephen not winning it, but Cooper stays in the third spot.

5. Brock Ervin- If he wins his 5th title next year then he will easily be #1 and has already sealed his place among the all-time greats. But since I am basing this is off of current achievements with a fairly strong bias to guys who finished their careers out, Brock gets stuck here but I'd put him higher any day of the week (except this one)

6. Stephen Myers- As much hate as Myers got in his short career one can not deny his talent. When he stepped out onto that mat he showed all of his critics that despite the drama floating around his name he was here to win. French's win over Myers this past year will go down as one of the biggest upsets in Kentucky history.

7. Austin Myers- Like Brock, Austin is someone who will have a very strong argument for being one of the greatest ever once his career is done. He is well on track to winning four and I don't see any big guys with enough talent to bring him down.

8. Nathan Boston- This was very hard for me to put on here. I wanted this to be more nostalgia guided and I ended up having to pass over some great and legendary names (mentioned below) to put him here. But that said, in his one year so far Boston has proven himself to be a national level talent and I look forward to next year.

9. Josh Johnson- Josh Johnson was a name that was around forever, started dominating high school kids as a 7th grader out of North Hardin. By the end of his career at John Hardin he was both synonymous with the greatness of that program in the late 2000's and someone who was always in contention for the state title.

10. Brad Hitchings- I nearly cried trying to figure out who to put here. There was Matt Zarth, who was considered by a few to be even greater then Harrison Courtney during their time of dominance, and there was John Lampe who was the perfect example of someone who was just consistently good, but I settled on Hitchings. He was so untouchable his senior year and people forget that because of how dominant John Fahy was. Of he had continued his career in college I am certain he would've been far higher on this list

HM (no order)- Myron Bradbury, Jake Bradford, John Lampe, Justin Lampe, Mark Hall, Michael Osborne, Garth Yenter, T.J. Ruschell, Matt Zarth, and so many more

But enough about my opinion, why don't you make your own?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

you have a great list. Hard not to put JJ Jude in that 10 spot though. 2 state titles undefeated senior season beating many high caliber wrestlers.

Jude was a great wrestler for sure, and should've been in the HM along with some others I forgot at the time (*cough* Jayce Carr *cough*). One of the reasons he didn't make it was the fact that I considered him intimidating but not quite dominating. Of course he did pin for his first state title but I never found myself thinking "Jude may be the best wrestler in the state." One of the best in his graduating class easily, the best in his class? No. But he was also part of one of the toughest bunches of kids in recent memory.

Stephen actually beat Cooper twice last season 7--2 , 5-4 , and a I point loss to someone he beat handily earlier in the season after getting i jured at state at 160 going up the week before and then placing sixth at sr nationals at 145 pretty much shows what he's made of , clearly deserving a top 5 spot -

As for Austin who are you kidding he's a fresh an Soph nat champ as well as the first ever 220 champ in ky or Ohio history as a fresh with wins over top ranked kids in the nation this yr Inclouding top finishers at Fargo .

He is undefeated since sixth grade has two HS titles and two nat titles and more accomplishments in grade school and jr high than anyone else on the list , a great group cooper is good but no way he is Ranjed ahead of Stephen for HS accomishments the two losses this yr alone to Stephen prove it , and Autsin and Brock are both top five kids as well ???

Seriously a two time grade level nat champ who won the fresh ow at nat last yr not being ranked a top 5 , funny the bias people on this sure actually said his class was weak his fresh yr and he beat a returning sr champ , no wonder there is drama !

I was a three sport athlete for half of my career then a two sporter at the end. It is definitely very hard to balance both sports, and even harder to be successful in both especially to the extent Jude was. I was terrible in every sport but wrestling myself haha.

Here lies the problem with this list.  The list says best Ky wrestler in the past 5 years.

That would mean that all accomplishments that occured before becoming a KY wrestler does not count.  (Can a kid win all time pins for a team if half of his pins occured for another team?) of course not.

Boston is placed 8th because of only being a Ky boy for 1 year. (Same for Austin and Stephen)

However I would place Brock 3rd (with potential to move up, Stephen 4th, Caleb 5th, Cooper 6th, and Austin 7th (with potential to move up), Brad Hitchings 8th, T.J. Ruschell 9th and Garth Yenter 10th.

As stated you can't anticipate accomplishments with Brock and Austin.  They may not even finisht thier careers (AKA Wolsifier), or finish their careers in KY. (AKA Lawsons)

You can't put Boston in top 10 with only 1 year participation, otherwise you would have to put Mark Hall in the top, he almost took out the top man.

That was the problem I ran into when I realized halfway in that I might have to put Boston in. I was sitting there thinking was it a greater insult to leave him out for just being here one year, or to put him over Kentucky kids who have dominated throughout a long career. These sort of lists aren't designed to be easy, it is ridiculously easy to forget someone and leave them out. I can make this list 5 times and come up with 5 completely different orders.

With respect to GOO and FCHS, how can Boston not be considered KY's #1 wrestler. True, he is a transfer (although born here I think), but he is here now. Just like ATM. Here is my argument, name one wrestler from KY to ever be a Flo National Champion. You can't, I can, his name is Nathan Boston. The kid is phenomenal. His roots are in KY, once again, just like ATM. I'd be willing to bet that one day there will be a thread talking about KY's most decorated collegiate wrestler, and Nathan Boston's name will be at the top of the list.

Being a transfer or born wherever does not come into consideration here.  It is what you do while a KY wrestler.  (that would mean wrestling for a KY school).

So what you are saying is that one dominate year is better than 2-5 dominate years of wrestlers?  That is what we get with Boston and Hall. 

If all we look at is what they did while a KY wrestler, 1 year could be considered a fluke.  Kind of like Maris hitting 61 home runs one year. 

No Sean Fausz?

Fargo-AA.....

Thoughts?

This was of course made before Sean's impressive run at Fargo. You have to remember that before that he only had one state title to his name. He wins it again this upcoming year and he is easily up there.

I would agree except that Sean had a most dominating season ever last year and has continued to improve in the off season.

I'm not sure what the others on the list have done at Fargo but I'm guessing Sean's finish is the best ever for KY at Fargo?

That alone should put him at or near the top of the list regardless of the upcoming season.

Just my opinion!

I would agree except that Sean had a most dominating season ever last year and has continued to improve in the off season.

I'm not sure what the others on the list have done at Fargo but I'm guessing Sean's finish is the best ever for KY at Fargo?

That alone should put him at or near the top of the list regardless of the upcoming season.

Just my opinion!

Hall was exceptional for a middle school kid, but he wasn't a Nathan Boston. Boston came here already a 2x finalist and 1x State Champ. He had already been to the finals at Flo his freshman year. Then to move here and accomplish an untouched, undefeated, (five pins at State)State Championship season, then go represent his state (KY) at Flo and become a National Champ...then further more, he signed to wrestle for an elite college program (Iowa State). Not sure what more we can ask from him to represent KY. He didn't move here to be a "one and done". He will graduate in KY, guaranteed. So I guess my answer would be yes, his one dominate year since moving to KY impresses me more than some of the others that have been dominate for multiple years. GOO, I know that you only follow KY wrestling, but his accomplishments on a National level can't be ignored.

IWIN- I think you love you some Nathan Boston more than Nathan Boston loves himself. It's overly obvious your admiration of the young man and he is a fine wrestler indeed. However he was not untouchable by any means this year. A 1-0 victory over Keegan Duncan and a 2-1 victory over Gus Adams doesn't satisfy "untouchable" for me. As far as Flo goes, He wrestled well but it was clear he was massive against all the 106 pounders he wrestled. His finals match was against a 106 pound champ from New York. I would take a Senior or Junior national title over a Flo champ as I would take a Fargo AA ( Sean Fausz) over any champ from an off season event. Nathan is good but I can't but him ahead of anybody on this list. Had he wrestled at Cadet Nationals or Fargo then maybe. Also had he stayed at 120 he would have finished runner up to Blackwell this season.

And tap out- Cooper finished fifth in 2011 so Sean is second highest I believe.

Just my opinion!

According to the boys over at TOM the highest ever finish for Kentucky was turned in by none other then the GOAT Joe Carr Jr. He was somewhere in the top 4 I believe. Kevin Cooper got 5th in Cadet. Fahy bumped up from cadet to Junior (long story why it happened) and was one win from AA, Caleb was two.

Stephen placed sixth as a first yr Cadet ,then fifth and fourth in Greco and Fr ,doubling in a class unlike any other there Whitford Bentson Tuma whom he beat ,not many if any in KY have ever faced the array of top kids he has not many in Ohio either ,i like your rankings goo except for Austin stephens accomplishments in fargo Iron Man powerade and both jr and sr nationals get him some cred ,but Austin getting it done at his weight at grade nat and nat duals against top kids easily puts him higher he beat a fargo third placer at nat duasl ??? fargo does not hold the weight it once did and seems to drop off a little more every yr ,Fausz has great runs but will have to tyake out some top kids in folk to make a run for the top , I have seen good wrestlers and i know most of the kids mentioned Boston Brock and Austin would be top five - Austin is a two time grade level nat champ undefeated in and out of season in HS and in Folkstyle wrestling period since his sixth grade yr ,when its all said and done people will make arguments for flashier lighter weight kids but there is and will never be another ATM Sean placing seventh or eight at fargo is great but wouldnt mean as much as making a finals match at grade level nat or going undefeated at nat duals ??? pinning through a class that everyone runs from you or you getting out of the class with a stud doesnt mean much ,winning nat titles against top kids does , Cougar sorry i would take a grade level nat champ over a low fargo finalist who only did one style any day ,the best kids in the sport double in fargo its a given.

• Downvote 1

As I mentoned. since thier careers are not over yet I put Brock and Austin a little lower.  (I think it's hard to compare an incomplete career with an complete career). 

In two years (that is when Austin will fiinish) I will probably have no problem puting them both in the top 2.   (if they finish with 4 and 5 state titles.)

For the sake of arguments let's keep dominance in Kentucky #1

1. John Fahy - The man, the myth, the legend. There are plenty of very good arguments why someone could be placed above him. But all one has to do is like at how dominant he was in each of his four titles. I had never seen someone who always liked so bored, where winning was so routine. I would honestly be very surprised if he doesn't end up a D1 AA and great wrestling minds I talk to agree

2. Harrison Courtney- Another 4 timer, may be lower on other people's lists considering he never had that tough of competition to win his titles. But I remember when I was wrestling Courtney's name struck fear into every wrestler's heart no matter what the pundits may say.

3. Caleb Ervin- The only thing holding Caleb back was the fact he wasn't a 4 timer, losing in the finals his freshman year. Was just as dominant as Fahy at the time, a kid just used to winning and expecting nothing else. Plus he is starting to turn heads in college.

4. Kevin Cooper- Another wrestler with an excellent argument for number one if it wasn't for his razor thin loss to Austin Palmer. I remember that match like it was yesterday. A more recent match people remember is Stephen Myer's 5-4 thriller over Cooper this season. Call this some fallback from Stephen not winning it, but Cooper stays in the third spot.

5. Brock Ervin- If he wins his 5th title next year then he will easily be #1 and has already sealed his place among the all-time greats. But since I am basing this is off of current achievements with a fairly strong bias to guys who finished their careers out, Brock gets stuck here but I'd put him higher any day of the week (except this one)

6. Stephen Myers- As much hate as Myers got in his short career one can not deny his talent. When he stepped out onto that mat he showed all of his critics that despite the drama floating around his name he was here to win. French's win over Myers this past year will go down as one of the biggest upsets in Kentucky history.

7. Austin Myers- Like Brock, Austin is someone who will have a very strong argument for being one of the greatest ever once his career is done. He is well on track to winning four and I don't see any big guys with enough talent to bring him down.

8. Nathan Boston- This was very hard for me to put on here. I wanted this to be more nostalgia guided and I ended up having to pass over some great and legendary names (mentioned below) to put him here. But that said, in his one year so far Boston has proven himself to be a national level talent and I look forward to next year.

9. Josh Johnson- Josh Johnson was a name that was around forever, started dominating high school kids as a 7th grader out of North Hardin. By the end of his career at John Hardin he was both synonymous with the greatness of that program in the late 2000's and someone who was always in contention for the state title.

10. Brad Hitchings- I nearly cried trying to figure out who to put here. There was Matt Zarth, who was considered by a few to be even greater then Harrison Courtney during their time of dominance, and there was John Lampe who was the perfect example of someone who was just consistently good, but I settled on Hitchings. He was so untouchable his senior year and people forget that because of how dominant John Fahy was. Of he had continued his career in college I am certain he would've been far higher on this list

HM (no order)- Myron Bradbury, Jake Bradford, John Lampe, Justin Lampe, Mark Hall, Michael Osborne, Garth Yenter, T.J. Ruschell, Matt Zarth, and so many more

But enough about my opinion, why don't you make your own?

Excellent list. Thanks for lighting up the board with this topic. Things have been waaaay to quiet around here.

Joe Carr jr got 2nd and was a 3XAA in Fargo and Mike Benson also from Woodford AA in 1991. I think until this year they were the only 2 that ever AA at the Junior level. I agree with Cougar I would take Nathan off the list but the kid he wrestled wasnt 106 this year.

Joe Carr sr was a champion but wrestled in PA at that time. These archieves can be found on the USA wrestling website. Nice job Sean..

Mpire and IWIN I am sure Nathan appreciates the support...Good luck to all this season...

I have seen Nathan and stephen wrestle some studs in camps and open mats its impressive ,have not seen Brock except matches and he is very special all of them are a bit different stephen and nathan can wrestle tough kids way above their own weight and still do very well ,it impresses me more than some of the very good kids who never go out of their weight range ,no use beating a dead horse when not many have seen the rooms they have been in ,its a different world than most have seen ,

Austin is a different sort he doesnt have the partners of his past but trains like no other ,he is on course to pull over 600 this yr if he was a first yr wrestler he would do damage on strength alone and he is far more skilled than most realise ,Hes simply scary,his defense is superb his stance and balance is as good or better than any lighter weight and his mat awarenes and match awareness never ceases to surprise me saw him beat a top ill placer by one not giving up an escape in the third with a stalling to his credit when most would have kicked and went for the penalty point ,very smart,smarter than most of us who watched and wanted him to kick his opponent ,

he will go hvy in college doubt he wrestles hvy at state ever but im sure he will wrestle any hvy out there and probably will wrestle young again as everyone enjoyed watching the two of them battle ,both are great kids ,

I think 152 with Kevin and stephen in it could be considered one of the best ever weights in ky this yr

and 220 last yr could have been had everyone stayed ,the best big boy match in KY history never happened but one of if not the best ever did and twice !! 

• Downvote 1

OTTO ,you must have missed some KY matches last yr ,

for the sake of argument in any other state in the country not many would put anyone above a 220 two time state champ who is only entering his jr yr and has two nat grade level titles an Ow as a fresh and whos last folkstyle loss was to a soon to be Ohio state wrestler ??

Wouldnt argue Joe carr being top dog even though i never saw him wrestle and do not know what he has done all in all ,seen him wrestle in person very impressive wrestler and coach ,Austin has two yrs left for Fargo and if he can put his football aside for a minute i think he has a legit shot a being not only a double aa but a nat champ as well ,time will tell .

rankings never cease to amaze me stephen wrestles 152 at sr nat and most of th yr and gets ranked at 160 by wrestling usa ?? lol