Sign in to follow this  
bocowrestling

UofL Wrestling and some other thoughts

1.  Can you imagine the kids at every wrestling meet in the state wearing Cardinal Red if UofL decides to start wrestling?  It would be a clear PR win for Louisville.  I know I'd gladly put my UK stuff away for good if this happened.  I will wear red for a week when and if the Cards ever make the announcement.  Ricky P could even be in the corner of the mat for all I care.        

2.  Where would other wrestling programs make the most sense?  My vote is for NKU with all of the Northern Kentucky and Ohio talent in their back yard.  Murray and Morehead would be great schools to add to the sport as well with their ties to the Western and Eastern parts of the state.  My personal hope is that Georgetown College or Transy would start programs which would give kids in the middle of the state an option to Wrestle.  The rumor keeps circulating that EKU will be joining the MAC in football.  If this is true, this might be a great place for Wrestling to pop up as well.  They already have a former Kentucky Wrestling Great there to start with.    

3.  It was great to see Lindsey Wilson and Campbellsville do well at Nationals.  I don't know why this couldn't be televised with so many channels with nothing on.  If there were ever a sport that needed a good agent, it has to be wrestling.       

• Upvote 1

Case isn't OAC but I know what you meant. Besides there wrestling team is terrible

Go Blue Streaks!

You're right, although they were a member years ago before Case and Western merged. Ohio State was a member long ago too before the Big Ten (12/14).

The modern OAC was formed in the mid 90's I think. To my knowledge we were all part of the PAC before that. Not sure about the politics behind Case not joining the OAC when it was formed but it can get confusing for sure. If we didn't wrestle them every year I would be totally clueless

NKU would be perfect. They could pull kids from Ohio, Kentucky, WV, and possibly Pennsylvania. I would love to see them join the MAC for all sports, which makes sense for a lot of reasons for both NKU and the MAC.

If UL added, UK would start with in 3 years. NKU, Bellermine, Midway, Transy. and EKU would be great places to start. Problem with wrestling on TV its kida like baseball to most people. Fun to particpate but a little long to watch unless you are a true fan. ( I still dont see how people watch NASCAR on TV) Wrestling is in trouble, I would hate to see when its finally on the rise in KY that the NCAA could possibly stop sponsoring it.

NKU seems logical to my untrainded eye. Basketball moved up to DI. Seems to be an interest in promoting athletics. I don't know much about the school, but a move to DI in hoops signals an emphasis on athletics. The locale is strategic as there is a fair amount of regional talent nearby.

The new U of L student activity center is going to have a mat room. I know of a couple of guys thinking about a club team.

Any D1 team looking to compete won't be recruiting a lot of Kentucky goes though you have to think more of how it will boost wrestling in the state then how close it is to the best Kentucky kids. As I say time and again, Kentucky is rapidly improving but a program at NKU would definitely be eyeing Ohio kids. A good rule of thumb is that your average PA or Ohio state champ will be a better recruit then taking a shot at some Arizona/Florida/Georgia stud

A nice point that's why your average stud from Georgia like a spencer Rickman goes to nationals and Or Fargo where college recruiters really do the bulk of their work , not sure NKU would

Be eying Obio studs any more than a Louisville program would be eying Indiana studs , I think they would still eye Ky kids , but if its a geography thing UK needs to have wrestling central part of the state , doubt either takes on a wrestling program , Missouri being in the sec now could open some doors , UC has a wrestling club but no program just having a room doesn't account for much a start maybe .

One of my very good friends was a state runner up in Florida (lost to a Brandon kid) if you think Kentucky is backwards you should see the wrestling attitudes they have there and with the rest of the SEC core states. We have a better shot at getting wrestling to the rest of the Big 12 (really more if the Big 8 again though). At least Kenny Monday got wrestling's foot in the door in Texas