Sign in to follow this  
mommaswatching

Anywhere but Alltech, Please

Im going to state this one last time. I think Louisville would be great for the state tournament and you can run numbers that can calculate driving. #1 reason the tournament is no longer in Louisville and it moved from here is the Farm Machinery Show, during the same weekend, we had over 300,000 people visit Louisville plus vendors. Finding hotel rooms will be a nightmare>It was hard back in the Atherton days but try now. You miight as well try to have the state tourny on Derby Weekend.

The basketball tournament is a 4 day event. Wednesday-Saturday.

Bottom line is we outgrew The Dungeon. The KHSAA has to take bids on hosts and the Alltech Arena won. I am new to Louisville (fairly so) so I do not know all of the places that could host. I can tell you this, when they look at places for the tournament, they do look for a place that is centrally located and can hold the tournament with its logistics such as number of mats, seats, lodging, etc.

The answer to that as far as having it in Louisville is to not have it on the same weekend as the Farm & Machinery Show. I agree, it would be a nightmare to find hotel rooms that weekend! I think having it downtown would be ideal. A lot to do for the families who are from out of town during down time. Dozens of places to eat. And like I've been stressing, A LOT More EXPOSURE For KENTUCKY WRESTLING!!!!! 

The basketball tournament is a 4 day event. Wednesday-Saturday.

Bottom line is we outgrew The Dungeon. The KHSAA has to take bids on hosts and the Alltech Arena won. I am new to Louisville (fairly so) so I do not know all of the places that could host. I can tell you this, when they look at places for the tournament, they do look for a place that is centrally located and can hold the tournament with its logistics such as number of mats, seats, lodging, etc.

I liked it but completely agree.  The tournament needs to be 2 days.

It is too bad that Bowling Green as an area doesn't have wrestling, because Bowling Green would be a pretty good geographical site for the state tournament, servicing both eastern and western Ky with the parkways.  Living in Louisville, I honestly like traveling out of town with our team, because it makes state a little more special and out of the ordinary.

You guys can argue about dust, dirt and the central location of the state. I think it would be nice if we could see the finals matches how hard is it to turn on the lights. Something has got to be done about the lighting.

I'm not sure I get what the big deal was about the lighting.

Even an old coot like me was able to see the matches.  don't get me wrong I sat very close for most of them.  But I also watched some from the hallway level and was able to see just fine.

The lighting never crossed my mind the entire time.

Goo...I think you're in the minority.  I didn't have anything to say negative about the tournament, other than that.  I heard from people several times during the matches that it was hard to see.

The lighting is absolutely horrible if you are tryinging to take any pictures.  The KHSAA photographer with the strobe lighting in the ceiling is the only one getting any decent pictures and they still aren't as good as they could be.  I've shot pictures in a lot of arenas/gyms etc. and the lighting set-up for the finals is handsdown the worst I've ever shot in. 

I don't think it was you couldn't see, it was mainly there was too much light all around and not enough focused on the mat. Going from Frankfort with lights only on the mat to Alltech where the lights are dimmed is kind of a step down. The arena itself though is nice. Where we sat the stands were clean, concessions were readily available along with restrooms.