Sign in to follow this  
MLee

Youth Team Scores error

First, I would like to congratulate all of the teams for a fantastic day of wrestling.  The tournament did not go w/ out flaws, but overall I was pleased with the results.  I hope everyone else feels the same. 

One MAJOR issue that needs to be addressed immediately was an error in the team score calculations.  Scott County was a DIII team that was incorrectly placed in the DII team group.  Not sure how the mistake happened, but I wanted to make sure everyone is aware Scott County won the DIII State Championship w/ 21 points!! 

I want to apologize to all the coaches, parents, and especially the kids of this club.  We will order your team a trophy tomorrow and personally deliver to your coach as soon as we get it.   

When I am fully decompressed, I'll post all the team scores.  Thanks again for everyone's efforts and patience today!

Matt Lee

Raider Youth Wrestling

Great job broski.  If there were flaws, you guys hid them well.  I thought the tournament was spectacular.  Big thanks to all the coaches and hundreds of volunteers who give so much to put this tournament on. 

I'm a nitpicker. However, this was a great tournament and I can't complain. Congrats and a sincere thanks for a well-run event.

I thought we weren't doing team scores. When did this change?

As one of those involved with organizing this event I have to say it came off better than expected. Huge thanks to a lot of people for their efforts.

My understanding is that gene wolf (president of the youth association) left the team score issue up to the hosting region. I was originally against team scores. The n ky coaches got together and decided to take a new approach to team scores and I believe it was very successful (aside from the Scott co snafu). I'm very confident a better tabulation system will be in place next yr.

As one of those involved with organizing this event I have to say it came off better than expected. Huge thanks to a lot of people for their efforts.

My understanding is that gene wolf (president of the youth association) left the team score issue up to the hosting region. I was originally against team scores. The n ky coaches got together and decided to take a new approach to team scores and I believe it was very successful (aside from the Scott co snafu). I'm very confident a better tabulation system will be in place next yr.

Why have the spring and fall meetings if we are not going to adhere to what was voted on? You n ky coaches can get together all you want and decide it is something to vote on when everyone has a say. This action does nothing to get coaches to attend the spring and fall meetings. Ranger, you once described the youth "elementary" as still the wild west. IMO, you shot the sheriff. Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with team trophies. I have a problem with surprises.

I voted against team scores. Not sure what the big deal is. The host gave trophies. A couple of people sat down and kept team scores and gave an award to 12 teams. Until the youth organization is more organized each host will do things a little different.

I know you said you voted against team scores. That is not the problem. The problem is you voted on something that was decided on a state basis in a regional meeting. Someone should have said this issue was already decided, let's move on to other regional business. Someone put in thought and effort into how to score this. Document it and bring it to a vote in Spring.

Right but even though I am the grand poobah I only represent one team in this region. The n ky region hosted this event.

I don't want to get a huge debate started but as I recall there may be some issue with the way the rules changes were implemented. It is at least an issue that the vast majority of coaches don't have the current bylaws.

Thanks for all the hard work!  My boys had a blast as always face offs are a huge hit.

Your son is a great wrestler he wrestled my sons coaches boy in the finals. How long has he been wrestling he did a great job.

I know you said you voted against team scores. That is not the problem. The problem is you voted on something that was decided on a state basis in a regional meeting. Someone should have said this issue was already decided, let's move on to other regional business. Someone put in thought and effort into how to score this. Document it and bring it to a vote in Spring.

The region coaches had to discuss state issues to organize the event. I know I never received a communication after the fall youth meeting so I have to assume other coaches are in the same boat. So they reached out to gene for clarification. The group moved forward based on his feedback and group consensus.

Again there was a question about the final decision and the bottom line is that trophies were paid for by n ky teams and given out. Who was hurt by this decision?

The original youth bylaws state that any change voted on will be implemented the following season. Hence, any change voted upon this year would not affect the upcoming season. To be honest, I thought some of the decisions made, including eliminating team scores was a mistake, and I used that clause to fight to keep team scores in place. Ranger, aka Poobah, made a nice compromise to make three divisions and give trophies out to the top 4. This put the team race back in play, but also gave every team a chance to take home some hardware.

Your son is a great wrestler he wrestled my sons coaches boy in the finals. How long has he been wrestling he did a great job.

This is his second year.  It doesn't hurt that he has great kids around his weight at practice every night and an older brother that likes to throw him around. 

The original youth bylaws state that any change voted on will be implemented the following season. Hence, any change voted upon this year would not affect the upcoming season. To be honest, I thought some of the decisions made, including eliminating team scores was a mistake, and I used that clause to fight to keep team scores in place. Ranger, aka Poobah, made a nice compromise to make three divisions and give trophies out to the top 4. This put the team race back in play, but also gave every team a chance to take home some hardware.

At the meeting, we kind of made a "big deal" out of having a Tournament of Champions to address the issues of inequities in team scoring as well as the inequity of elementary age kids wrestling on middle school teams. Your use of that clause has under minded the good intentions

of offering wrestlers an opportunity at a TOC for Kentucky Youth Wrestling. Under minding is a bit strong. Diminished would be more appropriate.

At the meeting, we kind of made a "big deal" out of having a Tournament of Champions to address the issues of inequities in team scoring as well as the inequity of elementary age kids wrestling on middle school teams. Your use of that clause has under minded the good intentions

of offering wrestlers an opportunity at a TOC for Kentucky Youth Wrestling. Under minding is a bit strong. Diminished would be more appropriate.

You mean the TOC that no one knows about? If anything, your TOC attempted to diminish the youth state tournament by having a "super" state tournament after the actual state tournament...lol. Furthermore, all I did was point out the actual bylaws to people to prevent them from doing things that they did not have the right to do. You need to get your facts straight.

Furthermore, to address the "inequities" of the team scoring, they created 3 divisions and gave out 12 team trophies. I had nothing to do with that decision, but that makes more sense than doing away with team scores all together and having an entirely separate tournament after the season to address the so called "inequities".

You mean the TOC that no one knows about? If anything, your TOC attempted to diminish the youth state tournament by having a "super" state tournament after the actual state tournament...lol. Furthermore, all I did was point out the actual bylaws to people to prevent them from doing things that they did not have the right to do. You need to get your facts straight.

The KY TOC has been on the KY USA from the beginning. Promoting the event at Alltech was kicked to the curb when the trophies were spotted. In no way it is the intention of a TOC to diminish a state champion. It, as stated before, was an avenue to address some of the inequities your revisions of team scoring was trying to do. Did this year's revision not violate the same bylaw? It is a good idea. Why was it not brought at the meetings when the opportunity was there? As I understand it now, you will be fine with no TEAM scoring at State next year.

The KY TOC has been on the KY USA from the beginning. Promoting the event at Alltech was kicked to the curb when the trophies were spotted. In no way it is the intention of a TOC to diminish a state champion. It, as stated before, was an avenue to address some of the inequities your revisions of team scoring was trying to do. Did this year's revision not violate the same bylaw? It is a good idea. Why was it not brought at the meetings when the opportunity was there? As I understand it now, you will be fine with no TEAM scoring at State next year.
I have a hard time believing the lack of promoting the TOC at Alltech had anything to do with team scores being held at state. I don't care what you claim is the intention of TOC, but the idea of having a tournament a month after state to address the team scoring "inequities" makes no sense at all. Also, how does having a tournament a month after the season address these inequities? If you want to have a TOC, go for it. We'll be sending some kids for sure. However, that tournament will not address any of the team scoring issues like you are advertising. To answer your question, I will never be fine not having team scores at state.

tilt, I'm really confused by this statement.  Why would you stop promoting the tournament because you noticed team trophies? 

tilt, I'm really confused by this statement.  Why would you stop promoting the tournament because you noticed team trophies? 

Because I was unclear that it would happen at all if that piece had changed. I'm on record that I personally am fine with anything that promotes our sport and increases the numbers. I am equally on record that we should not vote on things that we are not going to implement. I am guilty of not being aware of said bylaw. When voted on, I don't recall it being close or much discussion afterwards. Could someone have spoken up then?

I should know in a few days if the 3/30 TOC date is on at Fern Creek. Someone else posted earlier the difficulty of holding it at a Catholic school during Holy week.