Sign in to follow this  
WHS98

Just some facts

Lightweights verse heavyweights I went back over the last several years and put together something for all those that discredit the lighter weights. All are facts no opinion so if you want to make a case make it with facts. Here's a list of some of our bestvwrestlers ever out of our state.

Caleb Ervin – Started at 112 pounds won his last title at 145 pounds – D1 wrestler

Brock Ervin – Started at 103 pounds? Will probably go to any school he wants.

Isaac Knable – started at 112 pounds won his last title at 145 pounds. D1 wrestler

Joe car – started at 103 pounds won his last title at 145 pounds.

Kyle Ruschell – started at 103 pounds won his last title at 119 pounds, d1 wrestler

The list goes on and on. I know John lampe won 2 titles at hundred 160 pounds. My point is I went back over many years and almost all the best wrestlers from the state never went over a 160 pounds. 160 pounds is small in the big-money sports.

Wrestling has and always will be a sport for the most athletic small guys. When your athletic and small in high school ( not college like someone thought I meant in another post) The wrestling coaches come after you. That is not to say there's not some great big wrestlers(Austin Myers and Bobby Bryant)but their weight classes will never be as loaded as a lighter ones unless wrestlers are getting 10-15 mil a year and have 50,000 fans watching.

Dominic Black (Henry Clay Wrestler) 1987 State Champ at 185 and MOW, D1 wrestler and AA taking 4th at NCAAs for West Virginia. Dave Barnes (Walton Verona Head Coach) started wrestling at 98 lbs. 4th in state as freshman, then 126 5th in state as sophomore, then 126 2nd state as junior, 135 state champ and MOW and Most pins in least amount of time same year as a senior, went on to be a D1 AA, 8th place in NCAAs for Miami of Ohio

David Taylor started at 103 as well I believe , the lightweights have all the skill guys and are loaded , they change ranking positions every day because of it , not many big guys can move ,

Bobby B can from what little I have seen .

Austin did not start high school as a lightweight but was going to go 195 or 182 last yr he went 209 as an 8th grader but started the yr at 152 he wrestled 146 and 152 at Fargo that summer won 146 as a seventh grader and was runne up to Bo at 120 as a sixth grader , he dieted his but of and was pushed to do so by dad when everyone wanted him to go heavy because they knew he would win , point is he was pushed by some to stay light and wrestle the ultra skilled guys He beat Sisemore twice in jr high who will probably be a 160 champ this yr in Ohio and numerous lighter weight guys ,he simply made his jump before high school , the biggest jump of any jr high champ ever in Ohio , most of the lightweights start low and make a big jump sooner or later David Taylor and many others , there is no 106 or 113 in college ....... If Bobby Bryant were to choose to wretle instead of play football , I'm sure he would go D1 an I don't even know his history ,

It is still a different skill set , but a hvy 220 or 195 that can hit anything a lightweight can is deadly , Austin for instance is more agile than 90 % of the wrestlers in the state I guarantee it more flexible than 99 % and that's a fact as well , of a kid wrestles from day one and ends up a hvy he should have The same skills as lightweights , and those guys are more valuable to colleges than the numerous good lightweights , they are rare ,

A good point about the skill in the lightweights but its common knowledge to most , .

mpire i agree.  bobbys big advantage is that was a small wrestler.  110 7th, 140 8th.   he learned how to wrestle like a small man.  in 5th he wrestled jayce.   he has built himself into a heavyweight.

Luke Fickell was the best guy I ever wrestled or saw wrestle when he was a 160 lb freshman. He finished as a heavy.

Exception to the rule? No way. Lighter guys do better because there are mostly only frosh and sophs at the light weights. Not many frosh win above 130 or so. The fact that Kentucky's best wrestlers have been lighter is a coincidence.

OHIOs best wrestlers have all

Been lightweights , !!! To begin with , KYs best wrestlers are their middle weights without?

Brock Fausz Lampe/s, Cooper , Steph ,

like i said i just went back over the years and gave some facts.It all has to do with numbers.Everytime you hear someone talk about how good the private schools are they say its because they have a much larger pool of kids. same goes for the lower to middle wts.And like I said there are some excptions to numbers such as Union Co.(small school) always being at the top against the big schools,but there are very few schools like Union. They should change the name to Ervin County.LOL

Monroeville in Ohio had some studs and Graham

Just beat Ed's , but they have open enrollment do I guess it's the same or even more

Unfair than private schools . I think I'm general

More attention gets paid to the lightweights ,more classes are considered lightweight , 106, 113 120 126 , hvys are

Considered

220 and hvy perhaps 195 , some schools

Have just as much problems

Getting 106 as hvys , in ky je high kids are allowed to wrestle so there are more

Lightweights , but they are not better , none are

Even ranked except Boston , unless you count Brock a lightweight at 126 , as far as talent goes and being able to hang with the best in the nation 106 and 113 are not that strong in Ky

Go up in weighs an the biggest tournament winners in the state last yr were , Trevor Thompson and Austin , both big Boys , that right Trevor won tournament of Champions and that's no joke . No lightweights matched the wins of the heavier weights , But I would say the middles had more depth .

Mpire besides ATM at 220, the last heavy that I enjoyed watching wrestle in KY would be Bailey from Fort Knox I think he won in 09 if i'm not mistaken.  He was a heavy that shot and was more agile than most lightweights and he weighed every bit of 275.

I just looked up Amos Mason he is a graduating senior and stud, but i don't believe he and Bailey would have met up considering Bailey graduated in 09 and this kid is in his Senior year.  Plus the fact that this kid is wrestling 220 and Bailey was a Heavy.  I could be wrong,

well i came with some facts about most of the best wrestlers ever in this state  started very light.Most all never going above 160.But a few on here keep giving their opinoun about why 106's and 113's cant win mow because they are wrestling all underclassmen.totally not true I guess when Brock was 103 he beat nobodys and went up the ladder and kept beating nobodys,same Fahy,knable,Barns,Carr and many others. No they are not going to get a scholarship wrestling 6 or 13 maybe not 20 but that does not  mean they wrestle weaker compition. I also looked up the entries for super 32 and each of the first 5 or6 wt. classes had more kids than the last 3 weight classes combined.So why is winning a class with a 2/3rds less kids make it tougher? makes no sense.

I didn't see where anyone said a heavy would win ow before a lightweight ??? Didnt knownit was light verses hvy for OW I think a kid in the middles will win ???? Perhaps a hvy or 220 depending on what they base it on ,

I don't know of any lightweight that has wrestled as well as ATM his comp his schedule his record , when you look up ATMs name and go to the Springfield paper and you see him sticking one of their home town heroes who is an Ohio ranked wrestler in the first and it looks like he's putting out about as much effort as it takes to watch Saturday morning cartoons while eating a bowl of coco puffs and the other kid looks as if he has just gotten shot with a cannon it says about all that needs to be said , and the Beatdown he have their state ranked num 1 sr on d3 was worse ,

The first and only kid who scored on Austin did so because Austin tripped on a mat that was about 250 yrs old at state duals he wasn't even being touched and fell and he got jumped on lol

I don't know no beat Bryant probably die hvy who fell on him. They are both returning champs if it was a lightweight vs hvy debate it would be over very soon ,,a sr and a soph both bound for D1 athletics vs a couple

Classes with kids who have beaten each other up all yr and no one is dominant , not even close , Austin has probably already gotten more college letters than half the kids in the lightweight classes , ????but it's a non realistic comparrison . If there were a David Taylor or Someone of high caliber at the lightweights they might win Boston being the only one with a shot if he is considered lightweight ??while if Lawson a seventh grader wins it will be considered spectacular by some , not so much by me because it's 106 and it's not a strong field .

• Downvote 2

I didn't see where anyone said a heavy would win ow before a lightweight ??? Didnt knownit was light verses hvy for OW I think a kid in the middles will win ???? Perhaps a hvy or 220 depending on what they base it on , I don't know of any lightweight that has wrestled as well as ATM his comp his schedule his record , when you look up ATMs name and go to the Springfield paper and you see him sticking one of their home town heroes who is an Ohio ranked wrestler in the first and it looks like he's putting out about as much effort as it takes to watch Saturday morning cartoons while eating a bowl of coco puffs and the other kid looks as if he has just gotten shot with a cannon it says about all that needs to be said , and the Beatdown he have their state ranked num 1 sr on d3 was worse , The first and only kid who scored on Austin did so because Austin tripped on a mat that was about 250 yrs old at state duals he wasn't even being touched and fell and he got jumped on lol I don't know no beat Bryant probably die hvy who fell on him. They are both returning champs if it was a lightweight vs hvy debate it would be over very soon ,,a sr and a soph both bound for D1 athletics vs a couple Classes with kids who have beaten each other up all yr and no one is dominant , not even close , Austin has probably already gotten more college letters than half the kids in the lightweight classes , ????but it's a non realistic comparrison . If there were a David Taylor or Someone of high caliber at the lightweights they might win Boston being the only one with a shot if he is considered lightweight ??while if Lawson a seventh grader wins it will be considered spectacular by some , not so much by me because it's 106 and it's not a strong field .
For you to say 106 isn't strong this year is ignorant. This is ky wrestling, maybe there not on your boys level and there not but come on man look at the talent there. We all know your boys are studs and will win easily but don't knock another weight class that's tough as nails!
  • Upvote 1

Not being ignorant and not talking about my boys when I say it , 113 , has national

Level wrestlers , 120 has national level wrestlers , 126 has a complete stud , 132 has a national

Level wrestler , 138 has a national

Level wrestler or two , 145 may not have anyone with the credentials but would do well in national level events in my opinion , 152 has national level wrestlers , 160 has national level wrestler , 170 has some studs don't know about on a national level , 182 has national level wrestlers , yes Mathews is an AA , 195 has a tournament of champion champ in it , 220 has a national champ in it , hvy has a kid I think would do well at nationals ? 106 has a national level jr high kid in it , who would get beaten fairly badly in most decent states in high school and would not be in the mix for a title , my opinion you might say but I think it's fact. Not really blasting 106 it is tough but more like the 170 class to me tough all around with an anything goes scenario , no one stands out but Lawson for his grade , but I am removed from

The lightweights so I may be missing something ,

Never said it wasn't "Strong "but it is in no way a standout class at state , no super matchup like at 152 138 or some of the others , I think one kid in it is undefeated and he will be one to watch .

I really don't know that much about the 106's and really don't know any about Nationals etc but I would think that most of those kids (and I maybe wrong) but I did count 17 kids that are 9th grade or younger, I would think most of them haven't been exposed to something like the Nationals. I for one would love to find out how to get my nephew involved in some bigger summer tournaments this year after he heals up in 6 weeks from his knee surgery. Guess I'll just keep an eye on the message board here for some open tourneys for him to wrestle in. 

CC is one of the few programs that I'm assuming really push there wrestlers into summer events and a side from there great youth program the big summer tourneys seem to really help the more experienced kids. It's done wonders for Matthews . You can work harder than anyone but if your not working on the right things you still won't keep up with kids that are competing with kids that are in the nationals etc. 

CC seems to be big on NHSCAs wich is great and they should pushiy they all did well havi g four AA from 1 school a champ a runner up and two seventh placers , not sure they actually go as much as SK afterwards , the big thing is freestyle

Greco regardless of Olympic participation or not , I looked at the USA schedule " yes I do more than rant and rave " and there's is not many fr gr tournys , I was shocked actually a lot of folkstyle wich is good but there should be just as many free style Greco , I watch kida for who I think would be good in different styles , Bryant looks as if he woul do well in greco , French looks as if he could be an AA in Greco with little trouble

He already has that style as well

As

Build for it , Fausz seems

As of he would

Crush freestyle , Trevor Thompson could do well in both with work the union kids look as I'd they would do very well at freestyle , Cooper looks as if he would do very well Greco and I think he did , Stephen is decent at both a natural freestyles , Austin is decent at both a crafty Greco wrestler ,

The excuse not to do these styles is pretty lame

, if you don't know them

Who the heck cares if you succeed at them OT not simply look at it as extra work for the regular season , those lat drops , certain tilts , throw byes , are trademark freestyle

Greco moves , most kids do not use a lot of it in season but some do , point and fact is if Ky does not build up a fr Gr program it will be behind other states always even if it appears they are on par , it's the extra stuff that makes

Champs , and as for national rankings , Fargo is where it's at , if you talk to a college coach he may ask

How you did at state and it's all good but if you say oh yeah I was a Fargo AA , he will say ok now he knows he's talking to the real deal .

And they look at rankings and Fargo AAs get ranked quicker than anyone else ,Nky needs a sid off season fr gr room or rooms , coaches shouldn't be afraid if they are not proficient In those styles they can learn as the kids do just like

Some dads do , it doesn't matter drilling training

And mat time

Are what's most important anyway ,as

For the Sombo it's neat but I think it's more

Of a distraction than anything else

Particularly when no one knows enough about fr and gr , but it is cool if it draws kids then more power to it it just seems a bit odd .

I maybe wrong Brentwood academy is always loaded with good 215/220 and 285 that wrestle up

you're missing the point i said the guy you named is a senior this year and bailey has been out of school over four years, so how did they wrestle