Sign in to follow this  
ridingtime

Ask the Ref

Figure this would be a good place for people to get answers on questions they had. It seems to be a pretty popular thread on Yappi.

This is a Q & A thread, please no bashing of anyone on here.

Just post a question/situation below and hopefully some of the refs around the state can chime in.

• Upvote 1

Ok say I run a double chicken wing and get my 5 count but then my arms cross instead of staying side by side, do I still get my back points? This happened to one of my youth kids ad he wasn't rewarded his points.

Ok so :), a wrestlers takes a shot has the other wrestlers leg they go out of bounds both still on their feet the ref waves them out then the wrestler with the leg gets a takedown , should it be two or out of bounds ??????

• Downvote 1

I have one more... You start on top bottom guy stands up. You lock your hands around his waist and throw him back to the mat. I know you can't keep your hand locked but just how much time do you give to unlock your hands? 1/2 second 1 second?

This thread kinda seems like a way to "complain" about the refs without saying specifically who or what match it happened in. kinda like the gossip sharing a "prayer request".

but I'll play along for a minute.

Ok so :), a wrestlers takes a shot has the other wrestlers leg they go out of bounds both still on their feet the ref waves them out then the wrestler with the leg gets a takedown , should it be two or out of bounds ??????

sounds like out of bounds?!?!  Not a lot to go on though.

I'll go with Mpire on the other one.  It doesn't always get called that way though...can't really say 1/2 sec or 1 sec.  it's not like we have a stop watch on the mat.

This thread kinda seems like a way to "complain" about the refs without saying specifically who or what match it happened in. kinda like the gossip sharing a "prayer request".

No, when used correctly this is a fantastic thread. Thanks ridingtime for getting this started.

I swear I'm not complaining..... I just wasn't for sure on them 2 situations. And for now on I'll wait till I'm calmed down before a put a post up and make an idiot of myself. Lol... But for real I'd like to thank all of you " ref's, coach's, parents" for the work you put in for these kids...

• Upvote 1

I wrestled for 7 years didn't get started till late cause wrestling wasn't so big back then it was all basketball. But when I realized I was to short to play anymore I moved to wrestling "the most awesome sport". My only regret was not listening to coach Boyle when tried to get me start in 6th grade. I just got back into it few years ago to help get our youth program started. I'll be the first to admit I have a lot to learn. Iv got the basics "enough to teach the young kids" but I want to learn as much as I can.

The "prayer request" comment was priceless! Here is a link to the yappi thread. Very civil discussion, and it goes on that way for pages.

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233955

ridingtime, I've got one for you. Well, I haven't seen it yet but thought I'd bring it to your attention as the Mich v OSU dual is televised on B1G Ten Network this Fri. Word is that Mich 165 Massa hits a reverse head and arm. The question raised concerns the legality of the move. My guess is that he will at least attempt it if not hit it against Martin. Hopefully you will have a chance to watch this.

If a wrestler A defends a single leg by forcing the opponent B into a cross face cradle and turns that wrestler to his back but the opponent still B has a grip on the leg, should back points be awarded? Wrestler A is clearly in control and B is holding on for dear life.

If a wrestler A defends a single leg by forcing the opponent B into a cross face cradle and turns that wrestler to his back but the opponent still B has a grip on the leg, should back points be awarded? Wrestler A is clearly in control and B is holding on for dear life.

Holding onto a leg does not stop the takedown, when the control is imminent the ref should award the takedown then start counting back points.

Thanks. That is what I thought. This happened to my son twice in a match recently but the ref (not a real official) argued it wasn't a takedown because the other wrestler held onto the leg the whole time. He missed out on 10 points total because of the same move and lost the match by 2 points. Oh well, it made him mad. He tech pinned the next 3 kids he wrestled:)

ridingtime, I've got one for you. Well, I haven't seen it yet but thought I'd bring it to your attention as the Mich v OSU dual is televised on B1G Ten Network this Fri. Word is that Mich 165 Massa hits a reverse head and arm. The question raised concerns the legality of the move. My guess is that he will at least attempt it if not hit it against Martin. Hopefully you will have a chance to watch this.

I've seen him do that very effectively. I actually tried to teach it to my oldest son but immediately noticed that it can easily lead to a situation where you choke the bottom guy out and stopped him. Probably okay at a higher level but not to sure about the younger kids.

I have one. I read this on the khsaa web site (Coaches and officials, please take note that we updated the “Wrestling SKIN CONDITION” form ( WR111) two years ago. We believe it will benefit all parties involved by clearly stipulating weather the condition falls under Rule 4-2-3 (which requires a form to be renewed every Seven days) or Rule 4-2-5 (that allows for valid documentation for the duration of the season). Please take time to make your self familiar with this form. I have included a link to our website where you may download and make copies as needed. Always remember, regardless of documentation, NFHS rule 4-2-4 states: … “If a designated on-site meet PHYSICIAN is present, he/she may overrule the diagnosis of the appropriate health care professional signing the medical release form for a wrestler to participate with a particular skin condition.” I would advise any of you hosting a tournament to make sure you have a medical professional on site for your weigh-ins.) So the way I read this it would have to be a PHYSICIAN to overule another physician who filled out the form. The reason I ask is my son who is a senior was not allowed to wrestle in his region tournament because a ref didn't like the way a scar on his arm looked even though he had form WR 111 filled out and wrestled earlier in the week. He also had a note from the doctor who by the way is a dermatologist not a gynecologist stating that it was not contagious in any way. I went in and talked to the ref myself and asked if they had a doctor onsite to look at it and he said no it was his call and he could overule a doctor if he wanted. This seems ridiculous to me why have a form allowing a doctor to clear a wrestler only to allow a ref with no medical experience to overule the doctor. Makes no sense to me.

Absolutely insane. someone correct me if i am wrong but an official cannot overrule a note correct???

I have one. I read this on the khsaa web site (Coaches and officials, please take note that we updated the “Wrestling SKIN CONDITION” form ( WR111) two years ago. We believe it will benefit all parties involved by clearly stipulating weather the condition falls under Rule 4-2-3 (which requires a form to be renewed every Seven days) or Rule 4-2-5 (that allows for valid documentation for the duration of the season). Please take time to make your self familiar with this form. I have included a link to our website where you may download and make copies as needed. Always remember, regardless of documentation, NFHS rule 4-2-4 states: … “If a designated on-site meet PHYSICIAN is present, he/she may overrule the diagnosis of the appropriate health care professional signing the medical release form for a wrestler to participate with a particular skin condition.” I would advise any of you hosting a tournament to make sure you have a medical professional on site for your weigh-ins.)So the way I read this it would have to be a PHYSICIAN to overule another physician who filled out the form. The reason I ask is my son who is a senior was not allowed to wrestle in his region tournament because a ref didn't like the way a scar on his arm looked even though he had form WR 111 filled out and wrestled earlier in the week. He also had a note from the doctor who by the way is a dermatologist not a gynecologist stating that it was not contagious in any way. I went in and talked to the ref myself and asked if they had a doctor onsite to look at it and he said no it was his call and he could overule a doctor if he wanted. This seems ridiculous to me why have a form allowing a doctor to clear a wrestler only to allow a ref with no medical experience to overule the doctor. Makes no sense to me.

That's what happened. I asked him if he was a doctor and he said no then I asked how he thought he knew more than the dermatologist my son went to three times. He said he didn't but that he wasn't going to let him wrestle. I know my son probably wouldn't have done much at state but I think he would have qualified for it, and either way it would have been nice to have had the opportunity to go out wrestling.