Sign in to follow this  
bocowrestling

MS State Observations

Ranger--I've reached out to you directly several times and have been ignored and disrespected. Not sure why, nothing is personal.

Finding better ways to do things is not an insult to how they've been done in the past. If the majority of folks around the state want it the way it is, so be it. I just think you lose support for the sport by making it miserable for siblings, single parents, and family by having these marathon 16 man bracket tournaments in a single day. Maybe a 2 day tournament works everywhere else but here.

I'm just offering suggestions. If I came across in any other way I miscommunicated. I've been a ref, coach and wrestled. I know a little about wrestling. I also know you get more done by synergy and working together. Disagreements are fine, but to discount others with a wave of the hand is foolish.

Nkawtg135 - you sound like a little kid that got his/her feelings hurt. If you have ref'd, coached, wrestled than you know getting involved the right way is better that complaining the way you do. Just saying. In wrestling....we don't accept excuses.

Perhaps, but 5 and potentially 6 bouts in a day is not good for children. And sitting in a gym for 12+ hours is absurd. Run it in 2 days like everyone else does.

I'd like to see your research on why 5 or 6 matches is not good for children. IMO..if your kid can't wrestle 5-6 matches (36 mins max, with OT)in a 12+ hour day, then you right....your kid probably doesn't need to be wrestling because he can't handlle what it takes to be a great wrestler. Your kid wouldn't make it at our practices...for sure. There are many other sports that are different than wrestling that I'm sure your kid would be great at. I appreciate well founded comments and the sarcastic ones just as much as the next person, but come on. Let's see the research rather than random idiotic posts that seem to be the norm from you.

I love how brave people are over a computer.

Brave, smart, enabled, empowered... The list is pretty long.

So, seriously....you putting your name in the hat? Are you brave enough?

If this is in reference to my post, I wasn't being brave. You simply "wished" for a coaches meeting to put me in my place so I provided the information.

I'd like to see your research on why 5 or 6 matches is not good for children. IMO..if your kid can't wrestle 5-6 matches (36 mins max, with OT)in a 12+ hour day, then you right....your kid probably doesn't need to be wrestling because he can't handlle what it takes to be a great wrestler. Your kid wouldn't make it at our practices...for sure. There are many other sports that are different than wrestling that I'm sure your kid would be great at. I appreciate well founded comments and the sarcastic ones just as much as the next person, but come on. Let's see the research rather than random idiotic posts that seem to be the norm from you.

Wow. Way to raise the bar of productive discourse. Must have learned that from your parents.

I wasn't a Jordan Burroughs but I think I know wrestling and what it takes to succeed. I earned a DI scholarship and wrestled the very best and somehow I know that wasn't you.

I'll continue to voice my opinion. If you don't like it, tough. Why be such a total toolbar about it?

• Upvote 1

Wow. Way to raise the bar of productive discourse. Must have learned that from your parents.

I wasn't a Jordan Burroughs but I think I know wrestling and what it takes to succeed. I earned a DI scholarship and wrestled the very best and somehow I know that wasn't you.

I'll continue to voice my opinion. If you don't like it, tough. Why be such a total toolbar about it?

No well founded research on the whole 5/6 match rule? Ah, so now I see....you're an ex-DI wrestler. That proves that everyone should agree with you or you have all the answers. Well said. I bet you never wrestled more than 4 matches back in your day. Oh, that's right....you didn't have to, you won all 4 and every title in a 16 man bracket and never had to wrestle your ass off for that 6th match to medal. Darn, I'm suprised that type of whinning would come from an ex-DI wrestler. I don't have to put my accolades on this site to justify my involvement in this sport in KY. I do it the right way without trying to discredit the hard work of a very select group of hardworking individuals do on this site. If you want to be involved, try not being a toolbar...as you say and get involved. Nobody owes anybody anything. There's my opinion...if you don't like it, as you say...tough.

seems like the only one on here hidding behind the computer is you.  I think the MS state tourney in KY is ran ten times better than the vaunted OAC in Ohio.  Atleast the one in KY isnt a giant money grab. 

• Upvote 1

The NFHS rulemakers for wrestling are the leaders in the sport. No, I do not have the research results they used to determine the 5 match rule. I trust them that they know what they were doing though. Part of their justification was that they didn't think it wise for HS kids who were still maturing to wrestle more than 5 times in a day. They didn't want 16 man brackets done in a day.

As Ranger stated earlier the exception was not included in the bylaws due to an oversight. I'm cool with that. If most people want to blow it off, so be it.

Look guys, my coup comment was meant as a joke to start out with. If anyone looks through my post history, I've given all types of credit and thanks to Ranger. I only got upset when I felt like people were getting diminished and disrespected. As far as my brave comment, it was meant for all of us. We can get on here and say really negative things that most of us wouldn't say in person. I have no ambition of being the prez. No disrespect, but I have some bigger fish to fry. I'll help anyway I can though. Sorry about the negativety, I'm over it.

No well founded research on the whole 5/6 match rule? Ah, so now I see....you're an ex-DI wrestler. That proves that everyone should agree with you or you have all the answers. Well said. I bet you never wrestled more than 4 matches back in your day. Oh, that's right....you didn't have to, you won all 4 and every title in a 16 man bracket and never had to wrestle your ass off for that 6th match to medal. Darn, I'm suprised that type of whinning would come from an ex-DI wrestler. I don't have to put my accolades on this site to justify my involvement in this sport in KY. I do it the right way without trying to discredit the hard work of a very select group of hardworking individuals do on this site. If you want to be involved, try not being a toolbar...as you say and get involved. Nobody owes anybody anything. There's my opinion...if you don't like it, as you say...tough.

I'm speculating, but usually these decisions are based on liability and insurance reasons versus scientific evidence on how many matches a kid should endure in a day.

I'm aware of NFHS and what they do. Appears you are turning to constructive responses and it's much appreciated rather than the reverse. It appears that the KSWA doesn't agree with the NFHS and voted to go with USA Wrestling to alleviate the 5 match rule issue.<br /><br />IMO, there are ways of expressing ones opinion that are thoughtful and helpful to a cause rather than trying to undermine the very thing that people have worked so hard to build. Just saying.

I was at the coaches meeting where we voted on removing the five match rule.  If i remember right there were three options.  1 change to USA wrestling rules and eliminate the five match rule.  2 switch to a two day tourney.  3 a different format where a first round losers could only get seventh place.  The two day tourney wasnt possible for a few reasons and no one cared for the third option so the voted went to getting rid of the five match rule.  I personally dont see an issue with kids wrestling six matches.  They are only three 1:30 periods im sure most coaches push them harder than that at practice.

I'm speculating, but usually these decisions are based on liability and insurance reasons versus scientific evidence on how many matches a kid should endure in a day.

You are probably right, but that's why the KSWA is insured through USAW. I am kind of curious though....how many matches do kids wrestle in Cadet/Juniors FS/GR at Fargo in a day or even at the big state FS/GR tournaments? More than 5? To double? Just curious.

I was at the coaches meeting where we voted on removing the five match rule. If i remember right there were three options. 1 change to USA wrestling rules and eliminate the five match rule. 2 switch to a two day tourney. 3 a different format where a first round losers could only get seventh place. The two day tourney wasnt possible for a few reasons and no one cared for the third option so the voted went to getting rid of the five match rule. I personally dont see an issue with kids wrestling six matches. They are only three 1:30 periods im sure most coaches push them harder than that at practice.

I agree. I voted the same way.

Just my 2 cents as they say but I've heard alot of talk how coaches would like the nfhs to change the 5 match rule. And also in youth they may wrestle 4 macthes in 1/2hr or less Also would like to say congrats to Ranger for a job well done coaching and presidenting.

5 matches should be the limit. After a kid has been in the gym for 12 hours, they don't care if they come in 5th or 6th place.

The KSWA experience has been quite the opposite. Hence the change to USA so those kids can wrestle for 5th/6th.

5 matches should be the limit. After a kid has been in the gym for 12 hours, they don't care if they come in 5th or 6th place.

Not sure what kid you're talking about, but I can tell you that my son is still ticked 6 years later that his 5th/6th place match was decided by a coin flip.  Most kids with any desire want to finish what they start, jmo.  MS administration, you did a great thing going to USA Wrestling.  Don't pay any attention to any of this bull.  The current system is much better than a coin flip.  Everyone that has been around KY MS wrestling knows that a 2 day MS tourney just isn't going to fly so short of adding another week of post season with a semi state, the current setup is much better.

We originally abided by the 5 match rule because our refs were certified through nfhs. Even if our event was sanctioned by usaw some refs very adamantly refused to ref a tournament that went over 5 matches. It is good you guys have gotten past this because we were never able to back in the old days. For every one person who will get upset about allowing kids to wrestle 6 matches there are 10 people who would be upset if you flipped a coin to decide 6th place.

Ranger and JR, fantastic job on those finals singlets. I seen a pic on facebook of a ryle kid posing in his finals singlet downstate. Very cool idea. He was smiling ear to ear.

My son is much more tired after his wrestling practice then he would be wrestling 6 matches over 7-8 or more hours.