Sign in to follow this  
dutch

Middle school state duels

So dodging competition isn't a justifiable reason.   Thanks for clarifying that.

Ranger what are your suggestions on how to get the better teams to show up?

In my mind dodging competition is not justifiable, but i can't imagine any coach will stand up and admit that is their reason for not showing.

The coaches talked about a few ideas on Saturday, from the positive end considering location and timing to the punitive end considering financial penalties and possibly impacting future eligibility.  We need to hear from more folks on the idea so hopefully we see a bunch of coaches this spring to get the discussion flowing.

For Johnson County Middle School cost was one of the major issues, Also, we had 4 involved in the high school state duals,

• Downvote 1

For Johnson County Middle School cost was one of the major issues, Also, we had 4 involved in the high school state duals,

Its difficult and expensive to travel four and a half hours to destinations such as CC one weekend and then turning  around and driving four hours and sixteen minutes to Mt. Sterling the next weekend. JMO.

I hope the powers that be will take this into consideration prior to banning a team from future state duals.

I think teams decide to not participate for a number of reasons. Most of which are justifiable (injuries, travel cost for back to back weekends, avoiding injuries, etc). While I would like to see every qualified team participate, coaches have to make the best decision for their team. I believe there will be a lot of discussion this spring and fall regarding state duals to make sure we are able to build upon the amazing spectacle we saw this weekend and improve on the shortfalls.

Soooo what if a team is travelling waaaaaaaay further on the same day as duals to a not as tough dual out of state ??????? lol

• Upvote 1

Don't change the location. Every year it rotates. This is the way it's been done for years and should stay this way. If a team doesn't want to come that is their deal, but I will say from experience it’s a great atmosphere and something that is really great for the kids to experience. Many years ago we went as filler in at Ryle and finished 2nd to last and our kids loved it. We loved the competition and the environment. I think Pioneer_Pride is talking about us in his story on another board lol. I've backed out of tournaments before so I understand why teams do it; it is just unfortunate it has to happen at state duals.

Don't change the location. Every year it rotates. This is the way it's been done for years and should stay this way. If a team doesn't want to come that is their deal, but I will say from experience it’s a great atmosphere and something that is really great for the kids to experience. Many years ago we went as filler in at Ryle and finished 2nd to last and our kids loved it. We loved the competition and the environment. I think Pioneer_Pride is talking about us in his story on another board lol. I've backed out of tournaments before so I understand why teams do it; it is just unfortunate it has to happen at state duals.

I remember that team with the jones brothers, watson and Lee I believe. That was a tough squad. I believe at least one team has opted out of the state tournament every year. Cost is typically the major factor. However it sounds like stanmms is willing to cover all expenses so we can implement a sanction policy. In that case I'm all for it.

Mpire- lol. I think you are on the wrong thread. Tell you what, if CC beats Wadsworth in a dual, I'll do what I can to get Ryle to change their mind about state duals.

No Lee but we did have Watson both Jones brothers and the Moore brothers. Actually we had a decent squad and finished 2nd in club that year( it was a really weak club division that year). What I'm getting at is that I LOVE state duals an think it is awesome for our state. I don't think Ohio has state duals at the middle school level it's so unique to Kentucky.

While I see why some would cancel I would ask those coaches why not fundraiser for the event? That team also had Wolnitzek and we ran a fundraiser for extra money that week and state. A big ole candy sale helped us to get the money needed for those tournament.

No Lee but we did have Watson both Jones brothers and the Moore brothers. Actually we had a decent squad and finished 2nd in club that year( it was a really weak club division that year). What I'm getting at is that I LOVE state duals an think it is awesome for our state. I don't think Ohio has state duals at the middle school level it's so unique to Kentucky.

While I see why some would cancel I would ask those coaches why not fundraiser for the event? That team also had Wolnitzek and we ran a fundraiser for extra money that week and state. A big ole candy sale helped us to get the money needed for those tournament.

Kentucky Middle School State Duals brought to you by Martin Machining. It has a nice ring.

I remember that team with the jones brothers, watson and Lee I believe. That was a tough squad. I believe at least one team has opted out of the state tournament every year. Cost is typically the major factor. However it sounds like stanmms is willing to cover all expenses so we can implement a sanction policy. In that case I'm all for it.

Mpire- lol. I think you are on the wrong thread. Tell you what, if CC beats Wadsworth in a dual, I'll do what I can to get Ryle to change their mind about state duals.

Just having some

Fun you know I love you guys even though you chickened out of duals for some

Reason , of course you guys dd show up to watch my baby boy get beat on by Kevin lol

Now as for Wadsworth ain't no body sweating them and My baby boy battled their star srs when he was a frosh , now as for a tough tourny as I said state DUALS was tougher than Wadsworth , I actually hav no clue about Wadsworth team they actually won state a few yea back but they are not that team now not by a long shot no squires no grey no where near their former firepower , and I recognized many of the other teams in their tourny , not the cream of the crop , I did t see Massilon or Eds or anyone else of note other than Ryle and Wadsworth , Sk X union Larue CC all would have done well there , the top six teams at duals would annihilate the top six teams at that Wadsworth tournent excluding Ryle

Of course and including them with KY where they belong , now why the heck did Ryle

Really not do duals , ??? And I am telling you Sk just like CC is not the same team they were a few weeks or months ago .

And yeah CC can whoop that Wadsworth ass as well as Ryles hahahahahannanaban

Just having some

Fun you know I love you guys even though you chickened out of duals for some

Reason , of course you guys dd show up to watch my baby boy get beat on by Kevin lol

Now as for Wadsworth ain't no body sweating them and My baby boy battled their star srs when he was a frosh , now as for a tough tourny as I said state DUALS was tougher than Wadsworth , I actually hav no clue about Wadsworth team they actually won state a few yea back but they are not that team now not by a long shot no squires no grey no where near their former firepower , and I recognized many of the other teams in their tourny , not the cream of the crop , I did t see Massilon or Eds or anyone else of note other than Ryle and Wadsworth , Sk X union Larue CC all would have done well there , the top six teams at duals would annihilate the top six teams at that Wadsworth tournent excluding Ryle

Of course and including them with KY where they belong , now why the heck did Ryle

Really not do duals , ??? And I am telling you Sk just like CC is not the same team they were a few weeks or months ago .

And yeah CC can whoop that Wadsworth ass as well as Ryles hahahahahannanaban

It could be that we will have wrestled SK 7 times and CC 5 before the year is out. Would it make a difference if it were 8 and 6? We will also have seen almost every team that participates in Duals at least once before state. It could also be that it isn't really a recognized event. Maybe its because once our JV team qualified and that pissed eveyone off so we quit sending our B team to the qualifier. Maybe because our focus is on the real State Tourney. Maybe we don't want everyone to see our secret weapon. Maybe we all had the flu. Could be that we have a 220 pound transfer who isn't eligible yet or is he 160? Maybe we spent the last 10 years convincing Cincinnati that KY has some decent wrestling and the dipshits further north haven't gotten the memo. In a few years CC and SK may be trying to get into Wadsworth. They did follow us to SWOCA and GMVWA. hahahaha.

But for real - congrats to both the Big Camel and the Little ones. Definitely a quality program even if they wear girly colors.

Purple and gold ???? Girly colors ??????? And I saw some pics lol that kid holdin the plaque for whipping that tail at 220 at Wadsworth looked familiar to me , and if your keeping a 220 secret and he has a shot his last name better be Snyder or EL ,

And our 160 can go with anyone on any given day ,:)

Why didn't you just say hey we are tired of wrestling the same old people , I know I heard the dual wasn't recognized but it is what it is a dual with the best teams in the state there ??? So it's not state duals to some but it is to everyone that counts all the coaches teams and wrestlers lol

And hey don't worry I hear transfers are eligible after the state duals that are actually not even recognized by khsaa which brings me to my next ? Why were they used by khsaa last yr as a cut of date for my transfers ???? Either way

You suckers

Can't run no more we will be seeing you in a couple weeks :) , girly colors seriously , bring all those swashbuckling long John silver lookin gym rats of yours on over in a couple weeks transfers and all , " thought I saw Halls RV roaming around Florence "and don't take any detours north up 71 you guys are a KY team

,get of at double AA soon to be quadrouple ATM highway . Hajahhahajahahahah

Purple and gold ???? Girly colors ??????? And I saw some pics lol that kid holdin the plaque for whipping that tail at 220 at Wadsworth looked familiar to me , and if your keeping a 220 secret and he has a shot his last name better be Snyder or EL ,

And our 160 can go with anyone on any given day ,:)

Why didn't you just say hey we are tired of wrestling the same old people , I know I heard the dual wasn't recognized but it is what it is a dual with the best teams in the state there ??? So it's not state duals to some but it is to everyone that counts all the coaches teams and wrestlers lol

And hey don't worry I hear transfers are eligible after the state duals that are actually not even recognized by khsaa which brings me to my next ? Why were they used by khsaa last yr as a cut of date for my transfers ???? Either way

You suckers

Can't run no more we will be seeing you in a couple weeks :) , girly colors seriously , bring all those swashbuckling long John silver lookin gym rats of yours on over in a couple weeks transfers and all , " thought I saw Halls RV roaming around Florence "and don't take any detours north up 71 you guys are a KY team

,get of at double AA soon to be quadrouple ATM highway . Hajahhahajahahahah

Hahahaha. I installed several RV hookups in my backyard to put Ryle over the top this year. And Long John silver is bad ass, hush puppies and all

Well on a serious note , the HS state duals are linked to the youth state duals, and I'm

Sure there are some young raider wrestlers out there that are wondering if they will ever get to wrestle at the HS version , that should be the goal of those attending the jr high duals . :)