Sign in to follow this  
dutch

Middle school state duels

CC had a very nice team.

Too many forfeits throughout. Perhaps the weight classes could remain the same for

tournaments, but 168 and 190 combined and replaced by 175 for duals? Seems most teams forfeited at least one if those weights. Fine line between maximizing numbers and ensuring a competitive endeavor.

Where were the missing teams?

Nka- why would we change weight classes for duals? Seems like an odd thing to do. Weight classes are weight classes. The forfeits are a function of a couple things. We had a few teams filling in for district and region champs who are not full lineups. Another issue is the timing. After some kids lose at district or region they consider their season over and stop showing up. That creates a few more holes on many teams.

I will post full results later tonight. A lot of great wrestling. Two things that stood out to me were:

1) the energy and excitement in the gym; this is always the most intense and exciting event of the year

2) i am starting the campaign for Kyle Goldsmith as coach of the year. He has done a masterful job with a team that lost a lot of kids after last year and have come back even better.

I will post full results later tonight. A lot of great wrestling. Two things that stood out to me were:

1) the energy and excitement in the gym; this is always the most intense and exciting event of the year

2) i am starting the campaign for Kyle Goldsmith as coach of the year. He has done a masterful job with a team that lost a lot of kids after last year and have come back even better.

Is Kyle north oldhams coach? If so I agree he has done a heck of a job.

I agree kyle has done an outstanding job with North Oldham. The intensity for the finals was amazing. That had to have been the loudest crowd I had ever heard cheering for their teams. It was awesome.

I also got to witness some tough kids wrestle. Ranger you might have to add some names to your rankings. There were a few kids that I had never seen wrestle that we're impressive. I hope state has the same intensity next week. Great job to all the coaches and kids that worked so hard this year.

Sounds like it was a great tournament.

Please send the full results.

It is great that North Oldham has turned around a program that lost a bunch of kids from last year. Didn't North Hardin lose a bunch from last year as well.

What other teams lost a bunch of kids from last year that has returned strong this year?

I agree Campbell County did a great job running the tournament.

The competition was awesome and the crowds were intense. Very exciting day.

I also agree that Kyle Goldsmith has done a very good job with his kids this year.

No injuries for the Bearcats. All the kids look good and are ready for a good showing at the State Tournament.

Round 1

Woodford co. 34 Walton 54

North oldham 46 Turkeyfoot 31

Twenhofel 64 Moore 15

Campbell co 51 River city 27

Round 2

Woodford co 25 Shamrock 42

Walton 30 North oldham 40

Twenhofel 63 Mcnabb 15

Campbell co 55 Moore 27

Round 3

Turkeyfoot 50 Shamrock 24

Woodford co 26 North oldham 57

River city 62 Mcnabb 15

Campbell co 53 Twenhofel 18

Round 4

Walton 54 Turkeyfoot 28

North oldham 51 Shamrock 32

River city 66 Moore 12

Campbell co 57 Mcnabb 25

Round 5

Walton 38 Shamrock 36

Woodford co 30 Turkeyfoot 60

River city 35 twenhofel 38

Moore 52 Mcnabb 60

Placement round

Championship

Campbell co 35 North oldham 34

3rd/4th

Twenhofel over Walton (don't have score)

5th/6th

River city 51 Turkeyfoot 27

7th/8th

Shamrock 36 Mcnabb 27

9th/10th

Woodford co 66 Moore 45

True second

North oldham 42 Twenhofel 32

Nka- why would we change weight classes for duals? Seems like an odd thing to do. Weight classes are weight classes. The forfeits are a function of a couple things. We had a few teams filling in for district and region champs who are not full lineups. Another issue is the timing. After some kids lose at district or region they consider their season over and stop showing up. That creates a few more holes on many teams.

Good points. Perhaps the timing could be changed? There were some excellent teams not present just from the Louisville area alone (East Oldham, Fern Creek).

My point is that if this is to be a state championship let's maximize the competition. Can't do that when 3/4 of the teams there are forfeiting 5-6 weights.

Also, how many matches did North and Twenhoefel wrestle? I counted six, which would be a NFHS rules contradiction wouldn't it?

We talked a little yesterday in the coaches meeting about how to encourage teams to participate either through carrots or sticks. Trust me I spent many hrs on the phone and email contacting as many coaches as possible but you can't make teams participate. I guess they didn't want to challenge for a dual title.

As far as forfeits go those numbers are a bit off. I'll check the weigh in sheets but no way there were that many holes. Also with teams dropping out there were a couple teams that stepped up and filled in. Those were teams who weren't the strongest dual teams but they showed up.

Yes north and twenhofel wrestled 6 matches. But KSWA sanctioned events follow USA wrestling rules, so no 5 match limit.

To close the thought on forfeits, I just reviewed the weigh-in sheets and the dual results and here is what we had:

avg # forfeits per team = 2.4

# teams with 0 forfeits = 3

# teams with 1 forfeits = 3

# teams with 5/6 forfeits = 2

Moore and McNabb did not come up to win a state dual title.  They did not automatically qualify, nor were they voted in.  They were selected by the board to fill voids when other teams declined their invitation.  Their kids got the opportunity to get on the mat in an amazing environment and face many kids who will be in their bracket this weekend battling for an individual state title. Definitely worth the trip in my mind.

Is there any type of repercussions for teams that decline to come? And wouldn't it be up to each Region to deside who will represent them in case of someone not wanting to participate?

At this point there are no repercussions.  District winners automatically qualify.  If one of those teams decline then we go to the runner up.  Then each region selects one at large team.  Region 1 and Region 4 essentially had no teams interested (outside of John Hardin and Woodford).  At that point the board works to fill the spots.

So, you don't think some of the better teams decide to be no shows so they don't see a competitor until state?  Or is getting hurt, don't like the long drive, spend the gas money just excuses for again dodging an opponent.

Qualifying for state duals should be considered an honor and an honor worth fulfilling.  I would think a team not showing up should be banned the following year from being able to attend.  If not then it's just another tournament.

Ranger,

Thanks for the surprise invite.  We enjoyed the day.  Loved the finals dual. Congrats on that.  

There should be clear(er) guidelines as to who qualifies and consequences for qualified teams/regions not attending. 

Gotta agree with stanmms. There needs to be a punishment of sorts for qualifying teams that don't show up. I honestly look forward to the State Duals just as much as the State tournament. For the teams that filled in, congrats on stepping up to the challenge when quote unquote better teams didn't show. You have my respect!

So, you don't think some of the better teams decide to be no shows so they don't see a competitor until state?  Or is getting hurt, don't like the long drive, spend the gas money just excuses for again dodging an opponent.

Qualifying for state duals should be considered an honor and an honor worth fulfilling.  I would think a team not showing up should be banned the following year from being able to attend.  If not then it's just another tournament.

I think teams decide to not participate for a number of reasons.  Most of which are justifiable (injuries, travel cost for back to back weekends, avoiding injuries, etc).  While I would like to see every qualified team participate, coaches have to make the best decision for their team.  I believe there will be a lot of discussion this spring and fall regarding state duals to make sure we are able to build upon the amazing spectacle we saw this weekend and improve on the shortfalls.