Sign in to follow this  
Mpire

160 + High school wins for Stephen Myers

Not sure what is considered a lot of wins in Ky but Stephen scored his 164 th win give or take one or so this past weekend in his finals match against Kordell Ford , a top eight ranked Ohio d2 wrestler at 152 . Setting out most of the year last yr was a rough blow to him as he has thought of his High School success since he was about six or seven .Always hanging out with the older wrestlers even as a youth he trained with Colerains High school

Team in the summer , it was his and their dream that he become their first champ , while he moved he did win grade school there and his and their hard work did not go to waste .

. With over 40 wins and 4 losses as a fresh on an extremely tough schedule and 49 wins in an undefeated Soph yr ending in a state title in Ohio he had a nice streak by Ohio standards started .

A 20 and 0 record last yr as a jr ended in a state title , and he is currently at 50 or so and 1 , never losing to a wrestler that was not ranked nationally and having many more wins against those that were .

Stephen endured and improved as a youth wrestler to win state and have a great jr high carreer in ohio going 3 ,2,1, in finals of jr high state becoming cincinattis first ever ow winner and 3 x district jr high champ having some of the best matches in ohio along the way , he also won

Schoolboy and cadet freestyle and Greco state as well as national wins and placings in those styles , eventually he earned two freestyle AAs and one Greco AA becoming a double AA his second cadet yr ,

As a sixth grader he Became the first kid in Ohio and perhaps one of the only kids in the nation to win a grade school state title and place third "losing to the eventual champ "in the jr High state championships on the same weekend , he had to wrestle grade school kids and jr high kids on the same day all state qualifiers he had a dominating finals win over Wyatt Music in grade school finals and a great close match with Mitch Baran in the Jr High consolation finals his biggest accomplishment in my eyes . with the possible exception of his performance at state last yr and his Fargo run as a sophmore , he has went undefeated on the national championship team at USA nationals in Danville and did well at AAU nationals in Iowa eventually Getting withdrawn after getting kicked in the mouth and having Several teeth penetrate his jaw he continued for two matches with severe cuts to his mouth refusing to withdrawal , untill his coaches withdrew him .

3 time Cincy nationals 3 way national champ as a youth wrestler with wins over Georgia's Spencer Rickman " same kid he wrestled with the busted mouth " Max Byrd , Indianas Mason Todd , and many more . A lot more history and better wins , spartan elite champ beating Bryce Brill the schoolboy national champ in freestyle

And Greco that yr and a freestyle win at Fargo over AA and Greco national champ Hayden Tuma . And a jr iron man championship beating Joey dance as well as a freshman 4th place finish at HS Iron Man , and a 3rd at Powerade with another win over Dance . Last yr after a short season he placed 7th at NHSCA jr nationals getting an AA there with so little wrestling in the year Was on par with any thing else he had ever done despite any critics who disagree

Nice run and we are very proud of him and all his efforts over the years ,

I know I brag a lot , but its his sr yr and he has earned all his wins .

It's ok to brag when you know how hard he's worked. He's an inspiration to all those who go out and wrestle. He's given up so many parties's and summer vacation hours to dedicate himself to a sport that he loves. Sincere congratulations to him on all of his accomplishments and for those accomplishments that he's about to embark on through his new college career and I know whatever field he chooses he will find a way to be the best at what he does. 

That's awesome thanks , you seem to get the picture a whole lot of time these wrestlers give up over the years ,training for hours doing extras then some do other sports as Stephen did no real down time , of course I think football is down time for wrestlers :)

189 with middle school wrestling career + high school career, or 189 with varsity HS matches? If he wrestled any HS varsity while in middle school, that count too, right?

Not sure... I will ask coach donnelly and Coach cardwell next time I see em. I know donnelly is on here, maybe he can answer. Not sure is coach cardwell is on here.

1st Off Congratulations to Stephen!!! 

Just to answer a previous question.  All of Tevon Clay's wins have been at the Varsity Level in High School. He tied the all-time win leader at Franklin County: Ryan Tingle with a win last night earning 189 Career wins.

2007-2008 Wins= 10

2008-2009 Wins= 10 2009-2010 Wins= 35 2010-2011 Wins= 47

2011-2012 Wins= 49

2012-2013 Wins= 38

Career Wins= 189

Thanks , Stephen had a very short yr last yr and wrestling in Ohio he was not allowed to wrestle varsity as a jr high wrestler

, he did however go undefeated his seventh and eighth grade yrs wrestling varsity tournys over the summer , , Mt St Joe , Butler , Circleville wrestling up in weight as well for a match with HS state qualifier Logan Swope that he won . And quite a few more .

Had he wrestled in KY all six yrs or more, I honestly think he would be well over the 300 mark by yrs end .

• Downvote 1

My intent was not to take away from him at all, he has great accomplishments.. my team (western hills) had happen to wrestle Franklin co last night. It was senior night for them and the mentioned his wins. Last night I saw this post, so just thought I would mention it. Not even my kid, just thought I would throw it our there cause I thought it was worth letting people know. Once again, not trying to take away from anyone, proud of both kids.

It's all about the love , it was all good as I said Stephen wrestled his first two HS yrs in Ohio wasn't allowed to wrestle varsity as a jr high kid but surely would have and had to set out most of last yr ,as for the post he doesn't like that stuff at all but over the yrs I have seen when notable

Kids reach a decent number it usually gets posted , he got a raw deal last yr as for a big HIGH SCHOOl record but still has a decent number of wins and has only lost to some of the best 5 in all and beaten more of them ,

And no he never ran from anyone if you knew him as a jr high kid you would say the opposite he always went for the toughest bracket he could make weight for and chased national champs to their states and usually beat them at home , , Brill ,Chisko ,Harding ,Smith , all in their own states . Never beat Harding though lost in OT then double OT in Tulsa in his home town .

Thought it was nice in a way to hear of other kids wins and accomplishments , some

Parents or coaches or whoever are not as obsessed or caring as I am , hope no one was trying to one up him as far as numbers that would be rude as well as dumb ,

Stephen will never get his due as for his accomplishments in his former schools , the best underclassmen and of the best freshman seasons ever in Cincy or Moeller and they would never give him his due and an undefeated record at Reading with most of the major single season records belonging to him there , nice underclassmen record . Both started of with AA s at Fargo and straight blowouts of Swowca .:)

Being a transfer and only being at CC a short time his records and accomplishments will be scattered , Last yr was pretty disasterous considering everything that he has put in and went through this yr has been good but a very tough schedule mostly because for some

Reason his class has been loaded same as always minus his soph yr when people headed for the hills to avoid him .

Hopefully he makes a Fargo run as well as NHSCA most srs skip out but I do t think they should always a chance to bring home an AA and help out the rest of the team .... And your Brother one last time .

Wouldn't matter if he only won 4 matches I would still have made a post on my sons sr yr .

Maybe one day

As I said his records will be scattered , his brothers on the other hand will not be and while Stephen will not ever get a nod amongst anyone's Best , Austin will earn that honor and i dont mean amongst i mean top dog ,and in doing so will give his brother the respect others try to keep from him , of course I brag enough for a whole team of kids so it doesn't matter

Congrats to all the srs I tried to start a thread for them

And no one seemed interested , Tevon Clay , Kevin Cooper , Luke Rearic , PH , Bobby B , Dominic Hiero Chamberle , and all the rest are all worthy , hopefully someone or everyone congrats them all .

Well done Step! 40-4 with Moe's schedule speaks volumes of how great of a wrestler he is, especially as a freshman!!!

I remember the first time I watched Stephan wrestle at National Duals with Team Jordan and it was a joke. I would be willing to bet he beat some state champs out there like 30-15, with 15 takedowns. I was glad no one from Team Kentucky had to wrestle him. I thought Bo and Stephan were on a different level than all other kids at the tournament.

Again out standing job young man!

And if anyone ever has a question about how good or who deserves to be counted amongst the best , he did pretty good last yr with only a few weeks in the end of the season ,

But the biggest accomplishment in this sport is to become a double national champ , then a double All American , then I would say a state Champ and then an All American , although I actually think a college coach might be more impressed with someone earning an AA amongst all the nations best than with a state title ,

To actually go to Fargo and do both styles two yrs in a row is a feat to AA and then double was something that seemed unreal , and Stephen had a pin against Brill but it never got called or he would have made finalls , people should watch it it's on you tube it's awesome Stephen had already wrestled for a few days weighed in and out and in again because of wrestling in Greco the three days preceding the match , considering Brill only wrestled freestyle it is a great match .

ATM cannot say he ever has done anything more than his brother untill or if he comes close to doing what he did in Fargo .

Like mpire said, Congrats to all the seniors. We got a great class coming out. The numbers are huge for a lot of kids now and its impressive. Iwill say you can't use it as an accurate way to compare wtestlers of now, to wrestlers of the past. I use to think if you wrestled 40 matches, it was crazy, now its normal to have way more then that. Also you can't always compare two wrestlers today by their number of wins. Some teams wrestle lots of duals, some lots of tournaments. Guess my point is records aren't everything, u can have less wins and still be a better wrestler. But no matter what, when you get up over 160, you're pretty tough.

Nice post cougar , I missed Danvillle but I know all the kids were fired up and I remember stephs 6th grade yr steph wrestled for springboro panthers / Prodigy for jr high and team Jordan for grade school two teams on the same day , the Jordan kids were proud of him they voted him to carry their flag in the openings and stephs points on prodigys jr high team helped them take second to you know who as a first yr team .

I called Jeff in Danville to see how things were going , he said Stephen was killing people on his feet so he just kept saying kick em , steph ran into some

Studs out there and bashed em , Team Jordan won .

Cool story , one of my clients took my family to SC charleston for vacation new yrs eve , we took the opportunity to find a tourny driving way north west to north side HS near the border of georgia and Sc they were surprised to see two Ohio boys over holiday , steph entered two classes and seemed on fire he looked amazing ,

They thought he was from mars or something .Austin won his class as well being young in his class I only put him in one and he hurt his knee pretty bad ,in his semis while we were walki g back me and steph helping Austin walk a kid walks up and asks if he's ok , me and him said yeah he should be alright he said good I want to wrestle him , I said ok you can he said good I want to pin him , what a punk for about a fifth grader , he was the sc state champ and was at the top of the class as far as age , Stephen says i will wrestle you and I will pin you , rare for steph he's not rowdy like that a bigger thick muscular kid about 20 lbs on steph or more ,, they wouldn't let steph wrestle him tey only let him bump 1 class .

Anyway ATM says I'm good knee all swollen and limping he goes out and has a war the whole place cheering against him , match goes on sprawls shots a couple scores third period it's tied and ATM shoots gets a td it looked like to us but ref says out. Match goes on into OT us cheering ATM and suddenly a few start cheering him another shot same thing looks good to us , ref says out , crowd boos him match goes on now everyone cheering for ATM kid shoots him ATM scrambles and limps away and you can tell he's in major pain and the kid smells blood , finally kid shoots ATM catches him in a whip over and it's over kid is stuck like chuck , SC state champ falls to Ohio champ crowd goes crasy best vacation ever , training all week on the beach in the chilly weather of course the wife and everyone else was mad at us for ditching everyone for a day but it was awesome . Still would have liked to see Stephen wrestle that kid .

Maybe you haven't noticed, but every thread on here gets side tracked. Everyone was giving Stephen his due, someone just happend to bring another name in it. No big deal, no disrespect intended. As far as anyone disagreeing, maybe he will get on here, disagree and then ask you if you want to wrestle him. Why throw Stephen out there to do your dirty work, you had a problem with the post, you wrestle him. Don't care who you are, seen the kid wrestle. My money is on him.

I'll delete my post .. hopefully you'll do the same.. I'm about respect for individuals and the love of the sport regardless of who the kid is and Stephen I felt just deserved the honor of having his own post. I don't want any negativity on a congrats post.

Cougar hard to say , probably every state win at each new level / and state , and Fargo doubling ,

Best Da @m match in the history of OAC jr high state tourny ,and for many reasons our finest moment as a wrestling family after getting booted out of Prodigy after moving my family

There and all the dirty stuff with Root getting kicked out then us a couple weeks later and the utter despair we were In over all the bs steph and Austin trained in our basement for about six weeks before state no team no team

Colors nothing only a session at the HS now and then and only them together because root was being watched by haters and so were we , Austin diets down to 120 "BOs" class as a sixth grader and Stephen has went from 3 as a sixth grader 2nd as a 7th grader in an awesome finals loss to Dillon and then here they are after all the bs Stephen an 8th grader final chance ATM a sixth grader taking on everyone and them saying no way he makes finals and me saying my boys have no team but will have new team colors at state because in Ohio The finalists get singlets and warmups jackets and all and they were on the same side different class , so I post they will have new team colors at state and I got ripped big time everyone said maybe steph no way ATM makes finals well he did got beat bad but did beat almost everyone they said he wouldnt or couldnt anyway back to steph ,

Here he is in the toughest class possibly ever at OAC 8 returning placers and he and Collica both runners up favored 1 and 2 . It was insane steph nearly escaped once but didn't scored on a reshot pop up goes into OT , Collica shoots in good steph whizzers they go out red say two root jumps up says no way the other ref concurs whizzer was in no two it was intense , Collica thinking he has ridden steph out chooses top in ultimate OT Steph is up and out in under ten seconds , he actually yells out hands down and out to the side that bad ass victory pose and yell , never seen him get that pumped up before or after it was awesome , he beat Collica two yrs earlier when he was in sixth grade when he did both tournys on the same day , Collica won world championships in west Virginia some big youth tourny and I had about five people call and tell us and it was all we heard untill state steph handled him easy , anyway that jr high match was awesome , steph had won districts all 3 yrs in jr high and a few in youth and going 3,2 , 1 was awesome , they call the OW no kid from Cincy had ever won and it was him , both boys in finals ATM as a sixth grader steph finally wins jr high Root who was booted got to coach against all the new prodigy coaches , insane me and Root setting across from Bracken Ware Hazewinkel and the rest and ATM hands it to Sisemore and heads to finals , sending bith of em to finals wearing red just like I said , so many reasons that was awesome for their coach who started Prodigy and got stabbed in the back just like us by everyone there so pi$$ed all them cheering against ATM so pumped when ATM won , I know Stephens thread , Stephen wins the tough class awesome

Match with Collica and as I said they announce the Most outstanding wrestler award goes to Stephen Myers , jaws dropped it was of the hook , but everyone in the room knows he earned it he was what wrestling is about never won grade school till 6th grade then went 3,2,1 and snatched the OW , an Mpire in RED it was awesome , kicked out of our room and club no team in a new city and training in the basement and Bam kicked that A , awesome , all of our best moments , Everything and everyone and all odds against you and you win , nothing better .

Tomorrow I might tell a different story maybe when he won HS state first time , but it was an easy win for him really a big one and the goal but after his battles it was easy ,

Fargo was awesome and the Roots told me when steph was a sixth grader that a national title in Fargo was awesome but that if you could double AA everyone in the country would know you were a BA and college coaches respect an AA in Fargo more than a state title , so when he did it it was huge on a national stage and it's not youth or HS state and different than Iron Man Powerade or any other tourny , it's the best of the best from everywhere every major wrestling state ,and both style weigh inns and weigh outs for each it's insane , fun and incredible , I headed there broke lol wrestling broke for my kids , slept in my car all week , so I could see them , long haul , have to say steph didn't have much left In his tank after a week of wrestling and weigh outs I felt sorry for him when he wrestled Benson after the BS loss to Brill ,freestyle it's a touch pin lol he didn't have anything left his body and spirit was crushed , those bs calls and losses hurt they suck and

Make you want to quit , real losses are ok Steph wrestled Guillibon and got the worst beting I ever seem him get in HS 7-2 lol it was still a great match and didn't crush him . He came back fighting , like a few weeks back at GMVWA tourny :)

Have to say last yr state was a shocker to me people had taken a couple knocks on him and said he looked rusty , he was but who the heck wouldn't be , But no one had scored or lasted a match with him

Yet so it ticked me off.

When he pinned that first kid in All Tech in ten seconds I about S/)t and he stayed on that roll . I know him and I'm being honest he doesn't like all the comparisons and.bs.but he wants to be top dog , he watched Fahy and Cooper and it looked like he and Cooper were playing one upsmanship they both beat the snot out of everyone but steph was a step ahead every match tit for tat and ten Cooper hit Polly and that kid took a beating but wouldn't let Cooper pin him and steph turned it on in finals I thought he had Jones pinned a. Luple times but it turned into a tech and when Fahy couldn't finish PH , Steph went for the knockout and the OW ,he got the knockout and did all he could , pretty proud moment seeing both my boys win HS state titles together and their team win as well ,

I know theres someone out there that wants to feel that way , good luck to them , it's the goal and it's what people dream of , when people say youth doesn't count or jr high it's all bull it all counts , it all makes you what you are and what you will remember , and all the moves and sleeping in cars driving in the rain and time and money and all the crap people heap on you , is all worth seeing an awesome super duck a slide bye that you know is like second nature because you spent the time as they did having them drill over and over fights with the wife pushing ATM to make weight sixth grade yr the day of weigh inns and everyone being so happy he did , he wears those warmups at CC all the time ,

Arguing with the wife just a little on weigh inn

Days for the city tournament in youth , because I let the boys play hooky and go to LaSalle and run and drill and play football and whatever they want as long as they are moving , then watching them totally dismantle every little kid at the city tourny eventually becoming city tournent wrestling gods ,

Trips to Produgy Jordan's , Pa wv ind mich and wherever else for training and tournys ,

Is it worth it I guess but it's what parents are supposed to do not set back and let someone else do everything , hrs in the gym training since about 7 or 8 yeah kids under such and such age shouldn't lift , who says , someone who's kid Austin will scoop up and stick , or some kid that will look at Stephen and say he looks weak then be on his butt in a few seconds wrapped up by him .

best moment ,Stephen walking up the steps after his console finals match for third in the city tournament his first yr wrestling carrying his 3rd place medal up high for us to see .

He had lost earlier getting his nose busted in a close match and wrestled back for third and before his final match he walked up to me and was about crying I said what's wrong , he said that kid already beat me , well I thought real quick and I said well that good and he said why , I said he thinks he can beat you easy he already has once , he said he did and I said I know but it was. Close if you come out hard you will beat him I said go out he thinks you will be scared I said shoot him right off the bat and beat him , well , he did and beat him and half way through the match the mid had to stop because his mouth got busted , steph walked over and said he's bleeding I said so were you and your ok he said yeah and I said go finish him , and he did ,

Difference between steph and most kids , when steph said he was bleeding he felt bad , he has a kind heart he feels bad sometimes when he beats people he's a soft hearted person , Austin is a kind person a lot kinder hearted than Stephen in ways , but he would rip your arms off and hand them to your grandma in the stands of he had to to win , Stephen just want everyone to like him win or lose .