Sign in to follow this  
Slow ride

greatest junior high kid/kids

Ok everyone lets hear it who were the biggest studs in junior high. Obviously fahy being the best, lets go ahead and state the obvious. Some kids also didnt wrestle middle school there 8 th grade year such as brock. I believe brock won state twice, but wouldve took three no doubt about it.

Here is some who destroyed people at junior high level-

JJ Jude

Slone

Josh Johnson

Kevin Cooper

Caleb Ervin

Logan Wedding

John Fahy

Then you have your multiple time state champs-

Logan Erdman

John Miemen

Derek Wiley

AJ Binder

Tyler Frankrone

Bryce Scheffer

Sean Fausz

Justin Lampe

There is many many more but these are all names that instantly ring a bell. I have been around junior high for 7 years. These are the names of some kids who stood out.

At the Junior High Level...taking into consideration last year as well as this year, you also should add Ryan Moore, Tanner Yenter, Blake Roth, & Brady Wells to that list. 

At the Junior High Level...taking into consideration last year as well as this year, you also should add Ryan Moore, Tanner Yenter, Blake Roth, & Brady Wells to that list. 

All great kids who i have coached, trained with/against, and driven all over this country.  I would take these kids on my team without question.  BUT they all need a few more big wins to be in the same conversation as guys like Fahy and Sheffer.

Ranger I agree. Fahy 5 timer and sheffer soon to be 4 timer. There have been a bunch of middle school studs but those 2 have to be considered the best.

Not sure greatest wrestler, But one of the greatest teams I think was Gray in 2010.  Won the Club title,  CC won Team title, but Gray scored higher than that CC.

Good point Pin.  I never saw Caleb Ervin wrestle in middle school, but always heard he was an absolute beast at that level, so he probably gets some consideration.  But with kids winning 4 or 5 times, you gotta have a couple championships to get in the conversation.

All great kids who i have coached, trained with/against, and driven all over this country.  I would take these kids on my team without question.  BUT they all need a few more big wins to be in the same conversation as guys like Fahy and Sheffer.

This year, they will be adding additional wins to their belts...so I wouldn't count them out just yet. :)

I've been around for a while and have had this conversation with many friends and fellow coaches- For those who don't remember Caleb Ervin, I feel sorry for you. In my opinon he is by far the most impressive wrestler I have EVER seen at the middle school level. Caleb always had that "It" factor to go with incredable skill. Someone from Union validate this, but Caleb won a state title in Middle school one year with only one leg. He tore his PCL and MCL days before the state tournament. His leg was wrapped so tight I remember he couldnt bend his leg even to mount on top. Still didn't matter he won every match by pin and I believe he won MOW that year. I know for a fact I voted for him.

John Fafy  has the 5 state titles to boast, but John began wrestling Middle school in the 4th grade while Caleb started I believe in 6th. His first year in the state there was a still a 60 and 65 pound weight class. All of us can agree that this was no more than an extended youth tournament. I'm sure there are several outstanding kids who if they had the opportunity to wrestle 60 and 65 instead of 70  would have won a state title. And to be 100% honest with everyone on here, the first time I seen the Fahy brothers was at Fern Creek's holiday tournament. I remember at that time telling Pat that Matt Fahy is way more impressive than John. Little did I know how their careers would play out. Point is, even from the get-go I was never wow'd with John like I was Caleb and even Jude for that matter. I can't take anything away from John but he is probably the second best wrestler out of middle school behind Caleb Ervin.

Also if we are talking about the most dominate wrestler I've ever seen at the Middle school level, then hands down that award goes to JJ Jude! Jude murdered poor little kids all across the state for two years. I actually pulled a kid having to wrestle Jude in the quarter finals of a tournament. He was so scared and shaking I pulled him for his own good. Jude was outstanding, I don't have any other way of putting it.

JCB- I must say that years team was outstanding. Our dual and tournaments with your team were great that year. I believe Gray took 9 down and placed 7? Both Erdman's in the finals, Belk in the finals, and Meiman in the finals. It was a great year but nothing like Fern Creek when they had Bradberry, both Hitchings, Olhman, and Lewis. There is more but those kids were hammers and were by far the best middle school team Kentucky has ever produced.

My top 5

1- Caleb Ervin

2- John Fahy

3- JJ Jude

4- Logan Wedding

5- Matt Slone

Honorable Mention

-Kenneth Brummett

-Bryce Sheffer

-Brad Hitchings

-Myron Bradbury

-Justin Lampe

-Kevin Cooper

-Johny Meiman

-Logan Erdman

My bad on Brock, thought I had him in their. Still wont put him ahead of Slone thou. If you ever watched Slone wrestle in Middle school you would understand. This is only one of the names I can justify.

I never seen Wolseifier and how good he was while he competed in middle school. I was still wrestling in High School when he was wrestling middle school lol

No Kevin? Yep no Kevin. His high school career is a different story but his middle school career wasn't any better than those mentioned in the top 5. Two time state champ, two decision wins in the finals. His 8th grade year beat Lane Jones 5-0 in the finals. Were talking about the GREATEST middle school kids not the best high school kids who were middle school state champs. And you need to double check because Kevin is on there. But I can't justify putting him above those mentioned in the top 5.

No Binder? Yep no Binder. From his two very close wins over Skaggs in back to back years ( Think score was 1-0, and 2-1) to getting beat 14-1 by Wiley in the finals and losing to Trent Johnson last year at a tournament. That is no resume to be considered the Greatest or even honorable mention. Agree?

No Josh Johnson? Only seen him his 8th grade year. Seemed like a head hunter, who was very good at it. Not sure what he did that makes him any more deserving than those mentioned.Same year as Slone I think, and was way more impressed with Slone. Maybe you could help me out on this one. Since I didn't know him that well I couldn't put him over two time state champs like Erdman (one of my personal favorites) or Meiman. 

Jordan Burroughs was the 53d ranked high school senior when he graduated. Pretty certain he only won a single state title.

There are kids who are average in middle school who will become high school state champions.

There are middle school state champs who will not win a single high school state title.

There are middle school kids (see aforementioned lists) who will continue their dominance.

My point is that this is a phenomenal sport. Hard work pays off and you just can't tell for certain who is willing to put the time in. Felipe Martinez was perhaps the most talented middle schooler ever and is not even in the sport at age 19.

LOL Cougar,First off without a doubt John Fahy was the best middle school wrestler ever.You must just have favorites because this can't be based on stats or titles.You want to throw one loss here and there as a way to judge someones middle school career.So I guess you don't think New England isn't one of the best football teams ever because they lost a few games.So if that is the case then Fahy backs up that way of thinking,he never lost to a Ky kid in middle school for 5 yrs.How you can leave Bindner off either list is funny.He lost 5 matches in 4 yrs,2 of which he bumped up to wrestle( 1 out of state).He pinned( a state champ) one of the best light weights in Ind.(would have pinned him twice but the first match they wrestled the kid tapped to keep from getting pinned-his name is Tyler Ferguson,you can look him up he is ranked in the top 10 at 106 in Ind. this year).You downed Scaggs and I bet when the next rankings come out he is in the top 5 at 106.Aj also beat Wiley 3 weeks before the state finals(so they were 1-1,and I hope you don't think wiley is chopped liver).And as for the trent johnson match if you watched it Aj keep getting called for pot.dangerous when he used the power half with legs in,very painful so they stop alot of middle school matches because of it but this year in HS he uses it alot.He beat Johnson in state.It was very hard for AJ to improve his last two years of middle school because I told him to try and take it easy on the young kids(sometimes he didn't listen) and he was not getting pushed enough in the practice room.I knew when he got into a varsity wrestling room and was getting beat in practice he would train harder and get alot better.Went from unranked to beating #7,#4 and 10 seconds from #5.Also beat sheffer twice this year.one of your HM.So he may not be the best ever in MS but with his results he is top 10 hands down.

WHS- To each is their own. I think Caleb was the best ever and you think John is. Both kids we increadibly successfull at a Middle school level, High school level, and will be at a collegiate level. Do I have favorites? Yes who doesn't? I tried basing my list (the only one who has tried) to compile the best "Middle School" kids I've seen over the past 7 years. I can throw a loss here and there to judge because the ones I have mentioned in my top never lost one here nor there during their 7th or 8th grade years.

As far as AJ goes- I never once said he wasn't an outstanding wrestler. I would never question that but he isn't top 5 nor top 10 on MY list. I remember when AJ had Ferguson on his back at Fern Creek a way long time ago. That was actually the first time I ever got to see AJ wrestle live (I watched a takedown video with Wiley and AJ from Mt. St. Joe weeks before). Ferguson was outstanding but comparing where they are now to where they were then is where a lot of people will get off track. Remember we are only talking about a select time frame here: 6th-8th grade.

Skaggs- I can't say a bad word about the kid or the dad, because I'm huge fans of both. But  I don't care what he is doing now as a 10th grader, its what he did from 6th-8th grade that were talking about. Skaggs was a two time runner up at 70 pounds that is it. And Wiley, oh God where do I start? I trained/coached Wiley for 5 years, he is like my little brother, if I was biased in this conversation I would say he is top 10 no doubt but he wasn't. He was way to inconsistant, from finishing 3rd, 1st, 6th, 1st (MOW), Not placing. That's not stats of the best ever topic. As far as Johnson goes if AJ was one the best ever he shouldn't have lost. Plain and simple. Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't the score like 8-2? I was out of touch with Middle school wrestling last year because I was living out of state.

I know you couldn't be more proud of AJ than you are and that is awesome.He is having an amazing freshman season. I hope to experience that some day with my own children but I call it like I see it. AJ was an outstanding middle school wrestler but I don't feel that over the past 7 years he was one of my top 5. I just want to say that I mean absolutely no disrespect either, I spoke with AJ on countless occassions and offered him very kind words after he beat Derek at North Oldham and then when Derek beat him at State.

This is the problem when you start talking about the best- At the high school level people will always say Joe Carr vs Kyle Ruschell; well Joe Carr was the better High School wrestler and Kyle was the better college wrestler. However some will use Kyle's achievements in college to say he was the better high schooler. I'm not perfect I'm just taking at stab at this topic. Sorry for rambling-

Nkawtg135, Although I couldn't agree with you more, your statement has nothing to do with this topic.

Well, thanks for making me feel welcome.

Cougar if you want to say your top 5 or 10 I say ok fine ,but on wins- losses over a 4 yr career(3 state titles and one runner up) there is no way there is 10 that did better than him.I would even say he had to be in the top 3 for most wins because he wrestled MS in the 4th grade weighing 63lbs and was seeded 1 in the region but didn't go to state because he lost to Hall from Moore(who he beat twice that year).Aj heard every year that his wt. class was weak,if that was the case many kids he beat went on to do very well as they moved up(Mike Meyer-for example,aj beat him he goes up to the next weight class and wins state.He read your post and I am glad,things like that lite a fire under him.I respect peoples opinuns but on stats, wins and championships over a 4 yr period he has to be top 10.I am not bragging just giving results.