Sign in to follow this  
three

whos going to the bluegrass games

We had 25 pre-registers in N. Ky....and I heard it was about the same in Wayne County's remote site.  I'd say it's going to be a good turn out!!  Some notables in N. Ky are Dusty Brown, Korey Shotwell, & Tom Brownfield.  There's also some other good SK kids and 2 good kids from Scott (Robbins) coming down.

How much is Banks weighing this summer?  Is it looking like 152 for him next year?  Just wondering.

Going 160 for Bluegrass, He said he's going 145 for the regular season.

Guest cmccoy

There was a pretty good turnout of 145 wrestlers but I was disappointed that there were only a handful of Louisville partcipants and hardly any from Western KY or the Elizabethtown Area. What happened? Any way, I am pleased and look forward to a good day tomorrow.

There was a pretty good turnout of 145 wrestlers but I was disappointed that there were only a handful of Louisville partcipants and hardly any from Western KY or the Elizabethtown Area. What happened? Any way, I am pleased and look forward to a good day tomorrow.

I agree.  The middle weights were pretty deep.  There were a number of top quality kids competing.  It looked to me like a better turnout from northern ky than I have seen in the past, but other areas were light as mentioned.  Any ideas for improving the numbers?  Does the timing (which can't be changed) impact many kids, ie, football has started?

I was really shocked that from Region 2, only Banks showed up. Where were all of the North and John wrestlers at especially. I don't think that most of their good kids play football. I don't know what happened here at LaRue either other than a lot of the kids do play football and two-a-days start today so they may have just not been motivated, plus they just got back from camp last Tuesday and they could have played into it as well. Other than that, I thought the games went pretty well with a few pretty good matches.

The remote site weigh ins didn't seem to increase the numbers all that much....I talked to some coaches & wrestlers about why they weren't making it down...and all of them said exactly what you're saying happy - football & just getting back from camps.  Perhaps Cumberland & Campbellsville could schedule their camps earlier next year???  Just a thought.  At Conner a few of my kids were interested in camps, but we just started 2 a days as well...so they skipped.  I'm sure there's a lot of factors in what week they choose.  It would just be nice to see more kids at this tournament.

I would also add, as usual a great showing for Wayne County.  They always show up with most of their varsity lineup.

FYI, if any of you kids want to have a shot at competing with Travis Sullivan I would suggest showing up and getting on the mat with the guy.  If the state tournament is you first exposure to him, it will be tough to pull the upset.  He shows up at a lot of these off-season events.

that's a great point.....i don't know what coach upchurch does to get that many kids out, but kudos to them for being dedicated in the off season!!  they had I think 18 at the Cougar Kids open....and from the looks of most of them at the bluegrass games, they've been pretty active since then.  they all look pretty sharp.

You are correct about another sport interfering with attendance. We got back from camp and football and Soccer were both doing two a days. I got scolded for them missing Monday and Tuesday practices, and after two a days I couldn't get anyone to commit to going. With talking with Coach James, he is considering moving his Camp to the third week in June. It may help with attendance for both Camps, and not interfer with other sports.

Coming right out of camp is a GREAT time for an off-season tournament. I know it may be hard for the parents, but for the kids, its a time to try some of the new things you learned at camp. It is so much more helpful to stay active after attending camp. If you go all summer without wrestling again since camp, you will without a doubt forget the things you learned.