Sign in to follow this  
Mpire

KY vs The world

I think coach B has always had a strong schedule especially for a KY team, but most of CC's varsity lineup is average and or above, and taking a few good beatings here and there will ultimately make you a much tougher wrestler in the long run. For instance my freshman year got teched 17-2 both times at gmv. I came back the next year and got 6th, and then 2nd. So what I'm saying is take those lumps and get them outta the way so that you can compete at a higher level and then be the one ti.give the beatings, I would love if we went to ironman...

• Upvote 1

Best to put together a strong in season schedule to prepare for the post season. In season schedule should be tougher than the state tournament. In this way, the team will go into the state meet battle tested. They will be able to go beyond their competition, taking them to uncharted waters.

• Upvote 1

Wow: Mpire you sound like my wife. She finds sarcasm, and hiden agendas in everything people do or say. I am a "Say what you mean, mean what you say" kind of person.

I'm not sure what direction I would go if I was in control of CC. I guess it would depend on the numbers coming out for the team. If the numbers are dropping then you may need to lighten up on the schedule. If they are high then toughen it up.

Unfortunately there are not as many kids around like yours Mpire. Who thrive on competition. Many of the older coaches complain nowadays because it is so hard to motivate kids to work hard and have the desire to be the best. As someone in an earlier post stated. CC does not even send their entire varsity team to the GMV and Fairfield tourneys. Who would they send to the Iron Man? Probably only about 6-7 kids.

Here is the real question. What is the ultimate goal of a wretling team? I think there are 2 answers or beliefs.

1. To be the best team all around.

2. To be the best team in your state.

I realize if you are the 1st then you wil be the second, but what is it they realy want to accomplish?

Well you state what direction would he take and that you liked him catering to the newer kids so that must mean you think he shouldn't cater to all or the upper level kids .

You are losing me here if your team is the state champs and kids are making noise all over more kids will give it a shot for sure trust me if Cc won state in football more kids would con out ,

Bro I will tell you right now there will be legends that littl kids try to be like for years to come at CC ,

Trust me ,

I was much more active in the 90's. When CC won back to back state titles. Their numbers declined. after those 2 titles. It took them several years to build back up. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I was told it was because students didn't think they would break the lineup so they did not come out.

I do not agree with this mentality I just know it exists.

I didn't say that I prefer to cater to the average kid. But you have to think about both ends of the spectrum. If you have half your varsity team going 500 then you will lose many of them. You also take the chance of loosing a decent seed in the regional tourney if your record is poor, even if it is against the top level kids. (I've seen it happen)

I believe a balance is needed. But before you send an entire team to the Iron Man then you need to make sure the majority of your team is ready for it. That does not mean they all must be able to place, but they should be able to compete. On CC right now I think only 1 wrestler would place (Stephen). Austin would be close and maybe Fausz (he would need to either drop a weight class or get bigger) The next possible would be Hamilton, but he is way to small and weak for the wt. class he was wrestling to compete in the Iron Man. That leaves 10 wrestlers getting "2 and a tee". Not what you would call benificial to the team.

Before entering the Iron Man they should pick up some other tourneys like the GMV or better.

That may be true about the team back in the 90 but youth and jr high are probably well they are different now cc won jr High state as well. So those kids will be on a higher level coming in sorry but I have to disagree about the kids you have placing Hamilton Stephen and Fausz will raise each others level of they start early I think it would take a little more than six hard weeks to prepare for Iron man and Austin can place there if he gets some partners he has the best shot of any to actually win before he's done . He has wrestled some of the kids who have placed there before and he will surpass them easily , the lighter weight classes at Iron Man anything can happen .!

I believe CCMS has won state the last 3 years.

How many of those kids are on the high school team? I believe 2 were on the varsity team this year. Since CC had a very small JV squad this year I would say not many.

Are there any rules in KY about the number of matches in state a team or individual must have to qualify for KY post season wrestling?

I've always agreed with the philosophy that you have to wrestle the best to beat the best. I am not sure the philisophy applies at all cost to the high school season schedule. There are plenty of off season opportunities to meet all the Ironman, Beast of the East, The Clash types of competition. Seems like traveling to these these types of tournaments during the HS season opens teams up to a lot of internal squabbles and financial concerns. We are hearing them on here already.

You can alternate your schedule year to year as well, nobody is on here saying that the ironman must stay on CC's schedule you can try it one year. See what happens and if you like the way your kids compete on that type of level and make adjustments to your schedule if needed, I just think its time for for KY to show other states that we are improving and the only way to do that is through tournaments like these, and the best team right now to try and prove that is CC.

• Upvote 1

No there is no rule that states you must wrestle in the state a certain number of times.

rideemout: I agree that better teams need to go to higher quality tourney. However I don't think the Iron Man is on the radar yet for any team in Ky YET.

I Know that there are individuals that can compete and KY should still send those individuals like they have in the past. I believe Both Kye Rushell and Mason Reid went one year for Ryle, and Korey Shotwell went for CC a few years ago. I think both Trinity and Union may have sent some individuals also.

Travel costs are a huge problem in high school wrestling (especially for public school teams). Most schools can only afford to go (at most) 2 hours away to a tourney. You have over night costs and food costs on top of bus driver costs and fuel costs. Many public schools require that a bus be taken to all events and even if the coach is driving the coach gets paid while driving.

What tough tourneys would be within 2 hours of NKY? Those are the one's that CC, SK, and Ryle should be looking at.

The Ironman debate is a mute point if the team is not invited. Remember, this is the best tournament in the country, bar none. Pruesse and Co. choose the entire field. The powers that be at CC can petition/request to be invited. The Myers crew has upped CC's profile, however the program needs to define itself. A trip to Ironman is a statement that "We belong on the national stage". CC is not there yet. Baby steps, baby steps. Create a couple of tri-meets with top flight regional talent. Attend Medina, Brecksville, SWOWCA and the like. Dump the crummy events. This is a process that takes years. A high level of success at the youth level is a must. Participation in freestyle and greco is a must. Hitting off season tournaments is a must. If your boys aren't ready/willing to do this, well then forget about it. Look at the credentials of the wrestlers at Ironman. These kids get after it in Fargo, Filas, Super 32, FS/GR state. Many weights are ten to twelve deep with absolute studs. State champs struggle to place.

No there is no rule that states you must wrestle in the state a certain number of times.

rideemout: I agree that better teams need to go to higher quality tourney. However I don't think the Iron Man is on the radar yet for any team in Ky YET.

I Know that there are individuals that can compete and KY should still send those individuals like they have in the past. I believe Both Kye Rushell and Mason Reid went one year for Ryle, and Korey Shotwell went for CC a few years ago. I think both Trinity and Union may have sent some individuals also.

Travel costs are a huge problem in high school wrestling (especially for public school teams). Most schools can only afford to go (at most) 2 hours away to a tourney. You have over night costs and food costs on top of bus driver costs and fuel costs. Many public schools require that a bus be taken to all events and even if the coach is driving the coach gets paid while driving.

What tough tourneys would be within 2 hours of NKY? Those are the one's that CC, SK, and Ryle should be looking at.

Good points.

Otto a lot of reall good kids probably more than half never wrestle fr and gr , I bet 90 % of Graham's team never wrestled fr and gr , just an observation on my part that I always noticed about Graham.

As for baby steps I don't believe in them your asking to get good at a slow rate ,

Good things come to those who wait ...

But only those things left by those who don't

I do like the idea of mixing up the big tournys but if a team could get in Iron Man every year they would be foolish not to go win lose or get totally demolished!

CO. The crummy events that you refer to are the ones that the KY boys attend so they can get a look at the KY competition, or are somewhat required to go to. NKAC, Jefferson Co. tournament.

No matter what competition you go against you still need to see the people you will face in the state tourney. But a mixture of both would be the best possible scenerio.

if a team could get in Iron Man every year they would be foolish not to go win lose or get totally demolished!

I thnk here is where I will agree to disagree. Getting totally demolished is not worth the trip. As stated before most kids are not as competitive as yours. (If they were they would be on the same level as yours). Having an entire team get demolished is usually a moral buster for many kids. If most or all go 2 and out there is no desire to stay. Being that far from home most parents, kids, and coaches will want to go home.

I myself was one of those kids that wanted to wrestle the best kids, didn't matter if I got beat or not. I never knew the meaning of being beaten before you stepped on the mat. And I never walked off a mat saying "I can't beat that kid" Even if he whooped me by 20 (No tech pins in my day, and I was only pinned twice in my career in high school) But these are not the kids we have today. Like it or not it's the hand we are dealt.

Let's be honest , and this is the truth I know it ,the kids and teams that are doing the top tournaments in the country enjoy those people who THINK they are not good enough to do them it keeps them away and from ever reaching those levels by learning what it takes and that they can actually be that dam; good .

I know ,my kids came from a good school but not known for wrestling and we were always told no one from there was good enough for the big tournys by everyone from within and without, guess what they were. And there are plenty of kids out there who are told and who's coaches and parent are led to believe they are not that level ,

Say anything you want about me or anything I say or do but the fact is I know quite a bit about the sport not as a great coach but as a very interested observer a student of the sport and someone who knew very very little about it and below make a few kids pretty good wrestlers ,

Keep that infectious weak @$$ minded loser attitude as far away from me and mine as possible , it's sickening to me .

I think the Beast is available to individuals, the state has had a number of Trinity and Ryle kids attend the past few years I think the Murton's went up there one year. Its not as good as it used to be, Graham nor Eds nor Easton have attended the past few years, but still very good teams attending, get to see Blair and some very good PA and East Coast Schools.

Saw some of team KYs kids tonight they have good talent not sure how sharp they will be being after season and some out of their weight class but they can hang as for the cross river rivalry NKY vs SW OH , I think Faust Myers Cooper Hamilton Myers Possibly Chamberle all of whom I saw tonight can hang with anyone in SW OH if not beat them some handily .

I have to say Stephen is one of those kids who can goof off and still tear it up in a couple weeks particularly if he ever gets to wrestle his real weight as a everyone will see next year ,Cooper is a first class banger and will beat everyone in SW OH up next yr again and Faust has beaten some Good OH kids and Hamilton has skills that will become more apparent next year as he has the best training partner in th Tri state to go with no bragging no dad Bs it's a fact if you score and can bang with Stephen when he's on then you will be good . As for Austin lol there has never been anyone like him in NKY or SW OH get ready to see some kids get literally squashed over the next 3 years by the end of his soph yr he will be the strongest kid on any Matt in all KY or OH , yes I said either state .

Well,justice is served ,Grant Co fires its Football coach and Austin Myers wins Fresh Nationals and an OW all in the same week LMAO,

Now hows that for Karma ,And yes KY did pretty darn good against the world this week all things considered and yes CC does have some kids that could hang at Iron Man

• Upvote 1