1301st Avery Buckman 2nd caldwell

140 1stJackson Oxford

152 1st Hopkinsville kid he was MOW

168 1st Christian co 2nd trigg

190 1st Conner Sherman

230 1st Ohio co

All I can remember but it's a start I guess

Union won

Just have to say that the weight class drop thing is wrong! U work hard all year and then find that the weight allowance for growing is used to against u to drop down a weight class is just wrong! I am proud of my son for working hard and staying in is weight class when he we asked about dropping down for a better advantage! Kids need to learn to work hard where they r not backing down when they have a challenge,

• Upvote 1

Just have to say that the weight class drop thing is wrong! U work hard all year and then find that the weight allowance for growing is used to against u to drop down a weight class is just wrong! I am proud of my son for working hard and staying in is weight class when he we asked about dropping down for a better advantage! Kids need to learn to work hard where they r not backing down when they have a challenge,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I imagine, your kid got beat by another kid that dropped a weight class where his coach, parents and the wrestler felt the he/she would be more competitive. That is wrestling. Kids are going to be where they are the most competitive given what their body can handle. Coaches and parents make this decision because their kids also busted their rump all year and deserve a chance to put themselves in the best postion to compete...just like yours. I would also add that dropping weight or a weight class is not easy and no one takes that decision lightly and it does not guarantee a competitive advantage. If my child gets beat by another kid that dropped a weight class, because he/she could, I would take it with class and know that the other kid did all that they could to make themselves as competetive as they were able to. Train harder and stop complaining!

What are you classifying as "DROP DOWN A WEIGHT CLASS". Do you mean a kid who is 1pound away from the weight class and loses that one pound, or are you talking about kids that are the upper weight in one weight class and drop down to the next one.

To me these are 2 very different things and your blanket statement needs clarification.

I can understand how you feel about this. I can see both sides of the issue. When you have a wrestler that has wrestled in one weight class all year, it is too bad when you see a kid only drop once the weight allowance is in place. I have always understood this to be a growth allowance. If the kid has never made scratch weight but is allowed to weigh in and take advantage of the growth allowance, that is where is see the unfair part of the equation. To me a growth allowance is to help a wrestler that grows during the season. But since the weight certification is no longer in place, to allow an 80lb’er to drop to 77lbs to not fair to a kid that has been at 75lb’s all season. If the kid has made 75lb scratch weight during the season, then sure take the 2lbs and wrestle at 77. But for a kid that has not made it to scratch weight to begin with, then he was never a 75lber to begin with. He is an 80lber wrestling at 77. I too agree that by dropping a weight class it doesn’t guarantee automatic wins. But when talking about the lower weights, for an 80 lb kid to drop 5 lbs is a very big deal, however losing 3lbs is not that big of a drop.

There are a couple of possible fixes to this. 1) Go back to certification. Make scratch, than take the allowances as given. 2) Make a wrestler make scratch weight 4 times and call that the certification. In ether situation, kids are where they should be and no kids should be cutting to much weight. Sure, we all want our kids to be as competitive as possible, but what lessons are we teaching as coaches and parents if we have Middle School kids dropping weight for only the “important” tournaments? Most of us are former wrestlers ourselves, do we want to re-teach the bad habits we were taught way back in the day? I know that is something I don’t want to do. Maybe the difference is some of us have gotten smarter and some of us have not.

Maybe the difference is some of us have gotten smarter and some of us have not.

I'm quite positive that we have all "gotten smarter" since the days that you wrestled. You may want to check your thesaurus again before questioning someones intelligence. Just saying!

Since this discussion seems to be somewhat related to a reference to a kid I am very familiar with, let me clarify a couple things.

#1 - one of the first things I tell parents at the beginning of our season is I will not push a kid to lose any weight; they decide their weight class and tell me, but I expect them to make weight at that point. this is middle school and they shouldn't be pushing those limits, but changing their diets is generally a very good thing for kids in this day.

#2 - the rule is what the rule is; all we can do is follow the guidelines as they have been decided; to say a kid/coach following the rules and competing in a weight class in which they make weight is "unfair" doesn't make much sense; sounds like sour grapes to me.

#3 - I am 100% sure you have little to no idea what is going with the kid in question; as a matter of fact I have seen him step on the scale on a daily basis and can tell you he IS NOT cutting any weight. a number of kids on that team have been wrestling up all season and been very successful. they made the decision as a group to wrestle what they weigh. the kid mentioned above weighed in at 75.8 on Saturday without any cutting (no skipping meals, no extra running, no layered clothes in practice, etc); making scratch weight would not be an issue; in fact, if he really watched his diet (he eats like a horse) and did a little extra work, making 72 would be no problem.

#4 - regarding the "important tournaments", many of these kids take this sport seriously and prepare year round, not just for their own success, but for the success of the entire team, so don't dismiss the possibility that they understand the team aspect of these weight changes and the potential impact it has on team success. they also understand the benefits of competing against the best competition possible throughout the season and doing that should not preclude them from competing at their own weight.

Regrettable, the 70 pounder is the one on the short end of the stick; he has no place to cut to so he can be competitive (my word for ducking the better wrestler). If and 80 pounder slowly cuts to 72 over the season he probably has an advantage or most normal 80 pounders.

Middle school kids don’t have the same growth rate as the high school wrestlers; maybe Middle School wrestlers get just 1 pound growth allowance?

If you wrestle USA or AAU you get NO growth allowance, you make scratch weigh!!!

Losing a pound or two for these little guys got it; losing 5 or more is not smart, understand some individual cases are the extreme.

• Upvote 1

I'm quite positive that we have all "gotten smarter" since the days that you wrestled. You may want to check your thesaurus again before questioning someones intelligence. Just saying!

If a grammar correction is all you have for an argument, then I guess there is no debate. I never once said anyone was breaking the rules or calling sour grapes. I don’t think it is asking much for a kid to make scratch weight before making the drop down before districts. If a wrestler makes the scratch weight during the regular season, then by all means he deserves the extra weight allowance. If he doesn’t make scratch weight, why give the allowance? If it is not an issue for the kid, than great. What I don’t want to see are kids that are starving themselves like the old days.

I mean that it is always just when districts comes that they decide to drop down a weight class! And no my child did not get beat by someone that dropped down! He wrestles very hard and deserves his standing! It's just to me it looks like when someone has wrestled all year in one weight class and all of the sudden districts come and they drop down it makes me think they have it too hard so they drop down to do better at state! And I have heard those conversations! The weight allowance is for growing!!!!! What are we teaching our kids in life about the real world, you get s job and you drop a possition because it is easier?! You have to meet the challenge and learn! And yes my child knows it will be harder know but he will work hard and hopefully prevail! But I am proud of for staying in his weight class when he could have dropped down and not being afraid of a challenge!

I'm not sure who u think I am talking about but it is not someone who weighed in at 75.8! U have the wrong person !

This discussion came up immediately after a particular kid's name came up. And most of the discussion has been around that weight. A logical assumption that everything is related.

All I can speak for is my team and my kid. Kids not really cutting weight; wrestling up all year. That's the way I view it. They aren't dropping, they have been wrestling up. I pulled the boys aside and they made the decision. They see the team benefits; looking beyond their own interests. Believe me, Yenter at 32-0 isn't running from anyone at 75.

Im not even talking about yenter or that weight class! If they choose to wrestle up that is there choice

, but why change all of the sudden when districts get here? You wrestle all year in a weight class, u stay in that class!

Im not even talking about yenter or that weight class! If they choose to wrestle up that is there choice

, but why change all of the sudden when districts get here? You wrestle all year in a weight class, u stay in that class!

If that is truly how you feel, then I'm assuming you all will not be wrestling in high school. Kids get moved around ALL of the time for individual match-ups and team match-ups at that level. To be honest, if you look around, most of your more successful middle school programs move kids around for the betterment of the team in certain match-ups. Contrary to belief- wrestling is a TEAM sport.

Wait until your kid gets bumped to another weight because a better wrestler on his own team switches to his weight. Are you just gonna quit? No- you make the most of it and wrestle your butt off! :-)

Exactly! Why not work your butt off in the weight class u started out in instead of dropping down after u have watched kids all year and think u have a better advantage when u drop down! Learn to finish it! Even if kids have dropped down to my sons weight class good for him for sticking it out and facing the challenge! It's kind of like football, baseball etc. that watch tapes to see how other teams play so u can work on strategy but this is the other way around, u watch kids all year that u think u r going to wrestle but then the table is turned and kids that had an idea that they were going to drop down took the the again "Growth Allawnace" to take an unfare advantage! And yes it is a team sport and my son is with his team all the time cheering them on but u can't tell me that individually your kids dont think about themselves winning! And I'm not saying that my son and other kids in the same situation dont still have a good chance I'm saying let's be fare and let's teach thes kids to finish what they start! Enough said!