Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

The Middle School List - December 2011

Just one more little tibbet,Any parents or wrestlers that feell shorted by not getting an MOW,just tell the wrestler he is in very good company.Brock Ervin,Kevin Cooper,Caleb Ervin,Myron Bradbury,Brad Hitchings,Josh Johnson and John Wolsiefer.Now that is a list that anyone would be proud to be part of.I don't know for sure but I would be willing to bet there are more high school state titles on that list than all the MOW's in middle school have gotten.

Just one more little tibbet,Any parents or wrestlers that feell shorted by not getting an MOW,just tell the wrestler he is in very good company.Brock Ervin,Kevin Cooper,Caleb Ervin,Myron Bradbury,Brad Hitchings,Josh Johnson and John Wolsiefer.Now that is a list that anyone would be proud to be part of.I don't know for sure but I would be willing to bet there are more high school state titles on that list than all the MOW's in middle school have gotten.

Wow! I was unaware that those guys never won it. What a list! Hopefully nobody gets too torn up over this award. I don't see too many kids walking around saying, I hope I win MOW. They are all saying, I hope I win State.
  • Upvote 1

You said "using my criteria", then you included the an undefeated season..lol!

The only one that had 3 pins and a tech fall was Corey Jacobs (pin, pin, tech, pin). I would say he would've been in the running for MOW. However, most coaches I know think the 70 division should be eliminated, because its filled with alot of kids that aren't even in middle school and or it waters down the lighter weights. Me personally, I wouldn't have argued that choice. The only other 2 that had similar performances would have been 105lbs and the150 lbs champs. As far as an undefeated season, while impressive, some of the kids who spend half or more than half their season in OH or surrounding states with one or two losses might argue that record is much more impressive. That being said, very impressive non the less.

Pinandwin, you make great points. I'm glad that this side of the message board doesn't get too tore up over disagreements like the other side. I've looked at some of your previous post and determined that you obviously care for and love this sport, as do I. You also care about sportsmanship. Thats a biggie in book as well. So, although we may disagree on this particular subject, I believe we both have the best intentions for this sport. Good luck to you and the team you represent.

I disagree with the fastest pin thing what if you have a 2 time state champion up aginst first year wrestlers he will pin all of them quick that is what you are saying the most outstanding wrestler should be

Here is my argument: A pin is the ultimate in wrestling. Not a tech, not a major, not beating the subjective best kid in the state...ok, maybe. You score the most points for your team, it leaves nothing to question, it is what it is and it gets you the most bonus pts in a tourney. If you are trying to make the MOW a non-subjective award, go by the most pins in the shortest amount of time because it is the ultimate win in the sport then go down the line for criteria if need be. Just saying!

Seems like lot of tech falls are kids that could be pinned in first period anyway . I'd rather see quality wins regardless of score .

I can not speak for the whole state but in NKY, our most outstanding wrestler would probably be Logan Erdmen if the post season were to start right now. I believe he won this award last year at regions but I am not sure. He seems to be having an increadable year at the high school level and I'm sure that will translate very well for him at the middle school level as well.

In regards to a comment someone made earlier, I have coached 4 state champs in the past 3 years and all but one (that one infact won MOW) had a goal of winning MOW and not just being a state champ. Granted those three boys were all very dominating throughout the season and knew they were going to win the state tournament, it was something they expected and confidence level that grew over the course of the season. One of those boys infact wanted to tech fall his way to a state title cause he believed it would win him MOW. It didnt. The other boy wanted to first period pin everyone, he did all but the semi's where he won 13-0, and he didn't. The other wanted to not get scored on, he didnt, but he still didnt win.

I dont think you can have one criteria for MOW, such as most pins least amount of time. I think it comes down to who was the best wrestler pound for pound in the state on that day! Was it someone who won the most competitive weight class? Maybe. Was it someone who pinned all of their opponents? Maybe. Was it someone who went un-scored on? Maybe as well. Thing is we wont know until the dust settles and that day is upon us. Until then we can have a great time speculating and imagining all different possibilities.

Voting is always subjective and it will always be decided by a popularity contest. However, who decides in a tie.....some sort of criteria?

Austin Sutphin (McNabb) competed in Cleveland Ohio this past weekend and placed 3rd in the 13-15yr old 119lb weight class. A very tough tournament with approximately 600 wrestlers competing.

I am very happy we still have a 70lb weight class. We have three 70lb’ers and all of them are in middle school. As a matter of fact, two of them are 7th graders. As it is, I’m not sure that they will be at 100 lbs going into HS. I think the greatest thing about our sport is the ability to do it, no matter what size each wrestler is. I think the more difficult discussion is whether or not youth kids should be filling out a roster to make a complete team. I do think that as long as kids from middle school are competing in HS that we should continue to allow the youth kids to come up to fill in rosters. My guess is that as long as the kids are getting the experience the sport will continue to grow. That can’t be anything but a positive for our sport.

I know PinandWin said that if Jacobs had won the MOW last year, he would not have questioned it. I too thought the same thing. Perhaps we should have another award at state for the Wrestler of the Year. But, I too believe that the MOW award should be based on performance at the state tourney. Both of my sons have the goal of being a Kentucky State Champion, but both understand that the MOW is an award based on coaches voting. Therefore, I told both of them to handle business on the mat, respect the sport and more importantly to respect their opponents and their coaches as well. To me, that is the measure of not just a great wrestler, but a fine young man.

• Upvote 1

Bryce Sheffer wrestled against Dylan Gray last night and won 7-0. It was an exhibition between the Union and Caldwell High School duals. Sheffer gave up a few pounds as you can see.