Sign in to follow this  
Eaglewrestler16

Music?

LaRue County does and has for years. We have a stereo in our wrestling room and the wrestlers will either put together a CD or put music on an Ipod and bring the music to the room and play it on the stereo. Canter has a remote control for the stereo and will either turn off the music or turn it down when he instructs or talks to the team. We like the music loud and fasted paced. The only rule Canter has is no cussing allowed in the songs. :rolleyes: That one rule seems to limit certain types/genres of music. In all honesty, we have found that fasted paced music adds quite a bit to a practice. At least for our wrestlers.

I have wrestled with music and coached with it and without it. As a wrestler it really helped me, especially during conditioning. As a coach I can see that it has a positive impact on practice and the general mood of the wrestlers. They seem to work harder and have more of an upbeat attitude.

We don't at Campbell, we've asked to for that exact reason, but you don't listen to music when your actually wrestling so that's our coaches reasoning

I have found that music was more of a distraction than helpful, both as a wrestler and a coach.

If you pay attention to the music (Which is why yuu listen to it) while wrestling you loose focus on your technique.

As a coach it's too difficult to talk over it and you can't satisfy everyones listening pleasures. Especially mine. I can't listen to Rap in the least.

Music is great especially for times when you are doing calisthenics and when you want to pick up the pace. It doesn't need to be on 24/7 but there are times it adds a little more motivation when used in moderation. It can also be used as a "reward" for practicing hard or turned off as reinforcement when the kids aren't focused.