Sign in to follow this  
oldwrestler81

Site for 2012 State Tournament

Rumor has it that the horse park is still the leading candidate.

They will use 6 mats and hold it on (2)days. Fri-Sat.

yes to the first part. but it will remain 3 days. the current schedule we had this year is what will remain in effect. it has never been even brought up to change it back to two days. KHSAA has to bring in that money baby!! :]

KDE wants it back to 2 days.

They don't want kids missing school and it will be cheaper on the schools.

Plus all the KHSAA has to do is raise the ticket prices to get the same profit.

The whole reason the KHSAA changed the schedule of wrestling this year was BECAUSE of KDE!!! and as far as i'm concerned, KDE needs to step back and look at ALL sports. You know as well as i do folks that Christian county, rowan county, rockcastle county, and manuel did not drive back and forth all 3 days of their respective state basketball tournaments. if they're concerned about us missing 2 days for wrestling (actually now one because of the late start to the tournament on thurs), why not the 3-4 days of basketball??? oh wait, this is a basketball oriented state. my bad...

Not that I'm siding with basketball.

But in the basketball state tourney it is only affecting at most 16 teams, where as in wrestling its is 3 times as many teams.

I also don't see why the state tourney can't be 2 days. I would much prefer it to be 2 days. There is no need for the 3rd day, if you can get more mats on the floor.

thursday is a joke at the state tourney, and very few attend thurs.

If they made it a two day tourney and charged more for the two days that would equal the same price as the 3 day event, my guess is that they would make more money.

More people would be likely to attend 2 days than they would attending 3 days.

I'm all for 2 days. One more day rest in your own bed, one more day of practice and one less day for the kids to make weight.

Guest cmccoy

If it moves to a bigger venue that will hold 6 mats. The tournament will go to two days.

Guest cmccoy

There is a chance it goes back to Frankfort. But, there is a big push to find a venue that can hold 6 mats to make the tournament a two day event. Frankfort may consider renovating. The KHSAA will put out bids and go from there. I visited the arena at the Horse Park and it is beautiful. I think it would make the state tournament that much better. This is just my opinion as a coach. It will eliminate some of the problems we currently have that go unnoticed by the public. Again, this is just my opinion.

The move won't be cheap, if they go through with this and move to the Horse Park.

The move is on the agenda for KHSAA's April general meeting. Figures released by officials at the Horse Park are $2,800 per day (2,800 x 3 = 8,400) for the arena, plus $1,250 to $3,250 for flooring, $800 to open a section of the arena wall, steps leading down to the floor ($250 per set), $300 each for eight suites (total of $2,400) and $760-2,400 for the north exhibit hall. Parking fees (typically $3 per car per event, or $5 per vehicle per event) are being waived.

In all, that's $13,860 on the low end and at least $17,250 on the high end.

If the Civic Center is free, why would the KHSAA want to move the state tournament?

#1 reason KDE wants it to move is so the kids are only out two days of school. (if moved it will be a 2 day event) Not 100% a lock for 2 days but 80% chance it will be 2 days if moved.

That right there knocks of $2800 from your estimate.

You also have not figured in the cost of the schools. With one day less of motel rooms for 30-40 scools. Each with 2 rooms that is 60-80 rooms at a cost of (I'll be generous) $$60 a night thats a another saving of $3,600-4,800.

So according to your estimate. It will now cost low end $6,260 high end $10,850.

Having the event one less day also lowers the cost of

1. Meal money for the wrestlers.

2. Meal money for the coaches.

3. Possibly one less cost for bus driver.

4, One less day of substitute teacher for coaches.

5. One less day of cost for labor at the tourney, (security, janitorial, et.)

Not to mention the savings of the parents of the wrestlers it being one less day.

If it is not reduced to 2 days then your correct.

These are the ramblings of GOO Nothing more nothing less

GOO out. :D

Every coach I've talked to since State said there's is pretty much State will not be reduced to two days, even if it's moved to Lexington.

Also, those figures are not mine. They came directly from the Horse Park.

Wow we must be talking to the exact opposite people.

Those that I have talked to say it will be a 2 day event if moved, because that is the only reason to move the tourney. A couple are regional reps.

I am one of those that believe the Ky state tourney needs to be cut down to 2 days.

One other thing: Why would the cost of hotels be figured into those numbers I posted? The KHSAA doesn't pay for hotels for teams. The numbers I posted are what the KHSAA will be responsible for.

Everything I've heard from coaches in my area -- including Coach Canter -- have said the two-day switch most likely will not happen.

KDE is at the top of the list.

KHSAA is part of the KDE and each school is part of KDE.

Therefore if KHSAA lose $10,000 but the schools save $11,000 then KDE is up $1,000.

Even though on the surface it seems that the move and reduction of days will hurt, in the long run or looking at the overall picture KDE saves money.