Sign in to follow this  
region8fan

This year's champs vs. champs of the past

OK here are a few for Jayce Carr

Since Jayce started as a NKY boy in Middle school I'll stick with the NKY champs

83 Tom Cole (132)

93,94 Wilkins

98,99 Dylan Bell

02 Brad Cooper (2nd of 3)

03 Fassbender

2010 Palmer

And a couple of Union Boys

84 Jarrad Rudd (132)

85 Danny Levell (132)

09 Caleb Ervin (1st of 3)

I would like to think Jayce could whip all of them. B)

But in all seriousness, in the case of all of this years champions, wrestling here has grown considerably over the last decade. And all of our top kids are now more equipped to compete nationally which leads me to believe that they would do pretty well against champs of the past. In some cases these past champs are part of the reason for this.

I would like to think Jayce could whip all of them. B)

But in all seriousness, in the case of all of this years champions, wrestling here has grown considerably over the last decade. And all of our top kids are now more equipped to compete nationally which leads me to believe that they would do pretty well against champs of the past. In some cases these past champs are part of the reason for this.

I feel that overall the state is deeper and some of the top kids have more national exposure. However, I think the champs of today are only a little better on average than the champs of the past, if any at all. I think the growth of KY wrestling can be seen in the competitiveness and depth of a weight class, not necessarily the champions. I think every year would see a near even split between past champs and today's champs.

What about this match up?

135 Kevin Cooper (Simon Kenton) 2011 vs. Dave Barnes (Simon Kenton) 1988

Barnes would destroy him. Now Cooper's senior year maybe a different story. Maybe a better question, and a fair one in this thread because they are brothers... Brad Cooper (SK) 2003 vs. Dave Barnes (SK) 1988?

What about this match up?

135 Kevin Cooper (Simon Kenton) 2011 vs. Dave Barnes (Simon Kenton) 1988

If I remember correctly, Dave gave up 2 2 point moves in 1988. A reversal to a D1 Ohio state runner-up (who he defeated). And a reversal or takedown in the 3rd period in the state finals. It might have been an escape in the state finals. All his other matches were either goose eggs or he gave them escapes. Kevin would get merked by Dave. (all due respect). Brad and Dave would have been a good match in my opinion, Brad was quicker and probably better technique, but Dave was probably a lot stronger.

Ranger - my perception of Gibbs may be distorted by the fact that Tommy was a smaller 130 lber and probably a true 119 lber, wrestling up at 130. So I had the impression Gibbs was a pretty solid 130 lber. Maybe he wasn't...i could be wrong there. I actually discussed this the other day with one of Storms team mates and he said Tommy was considering cutting to 112 for nationals that year.

If I remember correctly, Dave gave up 2 2 point moves in 1988. A reversal to a D1 Ohio state runner-up (who he defeated). And a reversal or takedown in the 3rd period in the state finals. It might have been an escape in the state finals. All his other matches were either goose eggs or he gave them escapes. Kevin would get merked by Dave. (all due respect). Brad and Dave would have been a good match in my opinion, Brad was quicker and probably better technique, but Dave was probably a lot stronger.

Ranger - my perception of Gibbs may be distorted by the fact that Tommy was a smaller 130 lber and probably a true 119 lber, wrestling up at 130. So I had the impression Gibbs was a pretty solid 130 lber. Maybe he wasn't...i could be wrong there. I actually discussed this the other day with one of Storms team mates and he said Tommy was considering cutting to 112 for nationals that year.

If it gives you any context I was Gibbs' practice partner every day (and I was our 112) and I would say I had a strength advantage on him. I think that just goes to show how tough those 2 guys were that they didn't have to cut a ton of weight (or any back in the day when we REALLY cut down) and still ended up at the top of the podium.

here some more interesting match ups

135- kevin cooper vs luke metzker 2002

140- zach salyers vs scott cooper 2003

145- joe whalen vs steve lovwell 2003i think thats the spelling..

152- caleb ervin vs craig cooper 2002

160- john lampe vs nick fiser 2003

171- jj jude vs eric slugantz 2002

189- thomas buckman vs ben vessels 2002

Here are a couple:

160 Lampe VS. Ian Horn (Woodford 98')

171 Jude VS. William Randle (Eastern 99')

Horn attacked constantly like Lampe and was very similar in size. I think Horn's technique was a little beyond Lampe's. Randle was a physical freak and would have been a 2 timer if he hadn't met up with Horn in the finals in 98'. Jude/Randle would be a great match...any predictions out there from someone else that has seen these two wrestle?

Metzker over Kevin Cooper by 3

Salyers vs Scott Cooper- toss-up

Whalen over Steve Lovewell by 3

Ervin over Craig Cooper by maj dec

Lampe over Fiser by maj dec

Slugantz over Jude in a tight match

Vessels over Buckman by 3 (Vessels was actually wrestling up at 189 since he lost to Slugantz in the finals the year before at 171)

Horn over Lampe by 5

Randle over Jude in a tight match

Throw in my roommates father into the discussion:

112- Paul Burgess (Union) vs. Brock Ervin (Union)

Or my other roommates dad:

160- Robbie Wedding (Union) vs. John Lampe (St. X)

or

160- Mitch Ervin (Union) vs. Lampe