Sign in to follow this  
grappler-of-old

State tourney stats

I thought you might be interested in these stats.

There were 21 different teams represented in the Kentucky state finals this year.

There were 11 different teams that had state champions this year.

In comparison:

last year only 16 teams represented in the finals and

only 8 had champions.

Other breakdowns.

Every region had at least 2 finalists this year.

7 regions had state champions this year.

In comparison:

last year 7 regions had state finalists (Region 3 did not have one)(Region 5 had only 1)

last year 6 regions had champions (Region 3 and 5 had zero)

This year 5 teams had multiple finalists

Union 4

Campbell 3

Trinity 2

Simon Kenton 2

Johnson Central 2

This year 2 teams had multiple champions

Union 4

Johnson Central 2

In comparison:

Last year 5 teams had multiple finalists

Trinity 6

Ryle 4

Union 3

John Hardin 2

Franklin Co.2

Last year 3 teams had multiple champions

tinity 4

Union 3

Ryle 2

That's good stuff Goo,  I think this is a good sign for the state in terms of competitive balance. I believe this shows that overall we are getting deeper in our quality of wrestling. Goo , any chance you can research scoring differential in the finals as this also appeared to be better.

As requested: :-D

This year there were

8 Decisions (2 overtimes) Average win was by 2.62 points

3 Major Decisions Average win by 9.67

1 Tech Fall

2 Pins Average pin time 5:05

in comparison

Last year

7 Decisions Average win was by 3 points

2 Major Decisions Average win by 9 points

0 Tech Falls

4 Pins Average time 3:00

1 Default

I just finished going over the state brackets.

Here are some stats.

-----------------placers--------Top 6-----------Top 4----------finalist--------champs---------wins

Region 1----------15-------------12--------------9--------------4---------------4--------------109

Region 2----------15-------------13--------------8--------------3---------------1--------------113

Region 3----------9--------------5---------------3--------------2---------------0--------------87

Region 4----------15-------------10--------------9--------------4---------------2--------------103

Region 5----------9--------------9---------------4--------------2---------------1--------------85

Region 6----------21-------------15--------------11-------------7---------------3--------------136

Region 7----------18-------------11--------------6--------------2---------------1--------------126

Region 8----------10-------------9---------------6--------------4---------------2--------------109

I thought some of this was interesting.

Region 6 had the most placers, top 6 placers, top 4 placers, Finalists, and wins

Region 1 had the most champs(all Union)

REgion 3 was last in top 6 placers, top 4 placers, champs.

and they were tied for last in placers with region 5, Finalists with region 7

Maybe the most interesting was region 5 recieving the least amount of wins at the state tourny.

Region 5 only has 6 teams. Break the wins down by the average number of teams from each region and the numbers won't be that far off from the crowd. It actually breaksdown to about 1 win for every wrestler in the region. That being said...there needs to be a change in the number of teams that region 5 currently has. It's not fair to the rest of the state and it takes a little pride away from the region 5 wrestlers as well.

Region 5 only has 6 teams. Break the wins down by the average number of teams from each region and the numbers won't be that far off from the crowd. It actually breaksdown to about 1 win for every wrestler in the region. That being said...there needs to be a change in the number of teams that region 5 currently has. It's not fair to the rest of the state and it takes a little pride away from the region 5 wrestlers as well.

But at state each region gets 4 wrestlers per weight, so the numbers are the numbers. If there isn't a change soon I see Region 3 passing Region 5 in the overall standings.

Agreed, Region 6 had 13 teams this year I think. Doesn't really seem fair they both get the same amount of qualifiers.

I agree Turk. (and REgion 6 had 14 teams)

I've asked this before and no one gave me the info.

What teams are in each region this year? The state division is not 100% correct.

I know in Region 6 the teams this year that competed were

Boone Co.

Bishop Brossart

Campbell Co.

Conner

Cooper

Dixie

Grant Co.

Holmes

Newport

Ryle

Scott

Scott County.

Simon Kenton

Walton Verona

(I believe Scott Co. will not be in Region 6 next year)

Can anyone give me a complete list of teams in the other region? I want the info for those who competed this year.

I'm curious to know how many schools had wrestling this year. (even if they only had 1 kid like KCD)

Region 2

Anderson County (could see eventually shifted to Lexington region)

Barren County (first year, furthest away)

Boyle County (could see eventually shifted to Lexington region)

Central Hardin

Danville (could see eventually shifted to Lexington region)

Fort Knox

John Hardin

LaRue County

North Hardin

Nelson County

Could see Meade eventually end up in Region 2 as well as the Bullitts (same football district with Hardin schools, same track regions, in soccer district with Nelson)

http://www.khsaa.org/wrestling/alignment.pdf

REGION 1 - (WESTERN KENTUCKY) – Apollo, Caldwell County, Calloway County, Christian County, Daviess County, Fort Campbell, Hopkinsville, Ohio County, Paducah Tilghman, Union County, University Heights

REGION 2 - (MID KENTUCKY) – Anderson County, Boyle County, Central Hardin, Danville, Fort Knox, John Hardin, LaRue County, Nelson County, North Hardin

REGION 3 - (WEST JEFFERSON) – Bullitt Central, DeSales, Doss, Fairdale, Holy Cross (Louisville), Iroquois, Meade County, Pleasure Ridge Park, Shawnee, Southern, Valley, Western

REGION 4 - (CENTRAL JEFFERSON) - Atherton, Central, DuPont Manual, Kentucky School f/t Blind, Moore, Seneca, St. Xavier, Trinity (Louisville)

REGION 5 - (EAST JEFFERSON) - Eastern, Fern Creek, Jeffersontown, Kentucky Country Day, North Oldham, Oldham County, South Oldham

REGION 6 - (NORTHERN KENTUCKY) - Bishop Brossart, Boone County, Campbell County, Conner, Cooper, Dixie Heights, Holmes, Newport, Ryle, Scott, Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona

REGION 7 - (CENTRAL KENTUCKY) – Bourbon County, Bryan Station, Franklin County, Harrison County, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Madison Central, Montgomery County, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Tates Creek, Western Hills, Woodford County

REGION 8 - (EASTERN KENTUCKY) - Ashland Blazer, Harlan County, Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Letcher County Central, McCreary Central, Perry County Central, Prestonsburg, Sheldon Clark, Wayne County, Whitley County

The list of teams provided above doesn't take into account some of the programs started in the last couple of years (i.e. Bullitt East, North Bullitt, Barren Co., Scott Co. and Trigg Co. to name a few). I think there's a better solution to realignment. Louisville needs to move to 2 Regions. Take Meade Co and drop them down to Region 2. Take the 3 Bullitt County schools, Franklin Co and Western Hills and move them to Region 5 with the Oldham County schools. Then take Danville and Boyle Co and move them to Region 7. That would even it out a little bit in Regions 2, 3, 4, 5 & 7 anyway. Either way, there's no perfect solution, but there has to be a better way than what we have now. You're still going to have teams all over the place in Regions 1 & 8, but that's going to happen since they're the least popluated areas (or most rural areas) in the state with wrestling.