stanmms

2011 Youth State Tournament

Congrats to the Raider Youth.  Dominating performance once again.

Excellent job running the tournament.  My hats off to all the volunteers from around the state pulling together for the best tournament yet.  It's awesome to see so many teams lending a hand with tableworkers, scorekeepers, security and whatever else was needed. 

Great job to all!

• Upvote 1

Very good tournament.  I was there all day and it seemed like things ran pretty well.  The face off is nice and I'm sure the kids love it, but I wish there was some way to make it go a little faster.  With only a couple of exceptions, it appeared as though the parents were much more well behaved this year.

• Upvote 1

Although I will add that this is so tough and seems like a much longer day than it really is after experiencing the 3 days of excitement, intensity, and emotion at the high school tournament.

I'm getting the brackets mailed to me along w/ the team scores.  I'll do my best to post this information when I get it.  I recall the top 3 scores: Raiders 133, Conner 89, Campbell County 78.  We had a 3 way tie for 7th. 

Just being curious....were there 2 sessions?  If so the matches from the first session were completed before the start of the second session, correct?  If this is correct, then the longest anyone was there for a session was approximately 4-5 hours?  (I know some people may have kids in both sessions and that would be a long day)  If this is true then they have made great strides in the timing of the state tournament.  When my son wrestled at Johnson Central 4 years ago we were there for 13 hours. They must be doing something right now!  Congratulations to all the winners.  And remember parents.....you could have had to sit for 13+ hours! B)

I also would like to thank all the volunteers for all their hard work. Also would like to thank Teresa Patti and Frannie for a great hospitilaty room.

Many thanks to Coach Lee and the "Raider Nation" for organizing and running a great tournament. I was there all day (7:30-7:00) and it really seemed to go pretty fast. Kentucky wrestling just gets better every year!

Also, for anyone who has never attended the high school finals, do yourself (and your wrestler) the favor of going at least once. I took my son for the first time this year and it was awesome.

Many thanks to Coach Lee and the "Raider Nation" for organizing and running a great tournament. I was there all day (7:30-7:00) and it really seemed to go pretty fast. Kentucky wrestling just gets better every year!

Also, for anyone who has never attended the high school finals, do yourself (and your wrestler) the favor of going at least once. I took my son for the first time this year and it was awesome.

Also consider the drive to Columbus, Ohio and check out the Ohio State Tournament on 3-6 March.

Kentucky wrestling is getting better and growing despite the bad economy. The Ky finals were great and I enjoyed watching. FWIW.

I don't mean to be obnoxious, but I think I'll give it a go anyway. I thought some of the wrestling in the state finals was pretty weak. If you are serious about wrestling, drive the few hours to Columbus, Ohio and check out the Ohio State Tournament on 3-6 March. That will be a huge eye opener for some from Kentucky. Some of the KY state champs would not even qualify for the Ohio state tournament.

Kentucky wrestling is getting better and growing despite the bad economy. The Ky finals were great and I enjyed watching, but there is still a long way to go. FWIW.

Nkawtg135,

Please do not derail the conversation here. The main point of my post---and where this thread needs to stay---was to congratulate the folks at Ryle for doing a great job of running the tournament. If you want to discuss the state of high school wrestling in Kentucky as compared to other parts of the country, please start a new thread in the high school section. My point of mentioning the high school finals was to let all youth wrestling parents know that the state finals are a great atmosphere that any youth wrestler serious about the sport would enjoy watching. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nkawtg135,

Please do not derail the conversation here. The main point of my post---and where this thread needs to stay---was to congratulate the folks at Ryle for doing a great job of running the tournament. If you want to discuss the state of high school wrestling in Kentucky as compared to other parts of the country, please start a new thread in the high school section. My point of mentioning the high school finals was to let all youth wrestling parents know that the state finals are a great atmosphere that any youth wrestler serious about the sport would enjoy watching. Nothing more, nothing less.

Touche, and point taken. The point of my comment was simply that Ky youth wrestling parents may also benefit from seeing "the show" in Columbus--nothing more, nothing less. I could have chosen a much better way to phrase it and apologize for the slight and for the hijack.

I have been critical of the association and the elementary state tournament located at the Civic Center in the past. However, MLee and Raider Nation ran the most organized and coach friendly Elementary State yet. Many positive improvements made to this years tournament. Thanks "Raider Nation and other volunteers".

Congrats to the Raider Youth.  Dominating performance once again.

Excellent job running the tournament.  My hats off to all the volunteers from around the state pulling together for the best tournament yet.  It's awesome to see so many teams lending a hand with tableworkers, scorekeepers, security and whatever else was needed. 

Great job to all!

JDS,

You can always debate the definition of "dominate", but your "numbers, numbers, numbers" argument doesn't hold water in this case. Raiders had 63 kids and scored 133 points or 2.1 points per kid. That is 2nd only to Caldwell County's 2.7 per wrestler w/ 9 wrestlers (very impressive) who finished in 16th place.

I thought it was a good tournament, just stating my opinion here, but i think the wrestling was a bit weak in some of the weight classes

Compared to last year you are probably right. BUT, remember last year the middle school state tournament was postponed so nearly every kid that was eligible competed at the youth state tournament to get mat time in. So there were a lot of "middle school kids" at this event last year. Whereas, this year many of them were more on my side of the fence about middle school competitors participating in this youth event. So, to get back to your assessment, this was a more true picture of where our youth programs stand. I definitely would not call it weak. There is always room for improvement and I'm sure even the programs that finished on top would agree, but I would not call the wrestling weak in any way. I coached/watched both sessions and saw a lot of good wrestling and a lot for us to look forward to in the years to come.