Sign in to follow this  
me

pray before we wrestle take two

OK I know last year this did not work out as planned but I am bound and determined to make this work. So the plan this year is to spread the word during weigh ins, and as soon as the heavyweights have weighed in we are going to pray on the mat in front of the head table. I know they will be calling for us to go to the back for the march but they can wait a minute or two for us to pray. The prayer this year will be done by Rusty Parks, Woodford County's old coach.

If you have any suggestions or ideas as to how this could go better please let me hear them.

since i know for a fact 'me' is wrestling tomorrow at the Region 2 tournament i'm helping run, i'm assuming this is refering to State.  8-)

I would love for the message to get sent through all levels of wrestling in our state (especially the Youth level) that there are many, if not a massive majority, of religious families in this sport.  We need to stop asking our Youth wrestling families to be expected to wrestle on Sundays.  Especially the state tournament. I know of a good number of kids whose families honor the sabbath by not letting their kids participate in sports on Sunday.  These kids should not have to miss out, we can come up with a better plan.

I would love for the message to get sent through all levels of wrestling in our state (especially the Youth level) that there are many, if not a massive majority, of religious families in this sport.  We need to stop asking our Youth wrestling families to be expected to wrestle on Sundays.  Especially the state tournament. I know of a good number of kids whose families honor the sabbath by not letting their kids participate in sports on Sunday.  These kids should not have to miss out, we can come up with a better plan.

How does no sports on Sunday honor the Sabbath? Whats wrong with sports on Sunday?

NFL games are on Sunday, NASCAR, GOLF lots of sports on Sunday.

And there are some Atheist families :-)

And Muslims.

How does no sports on Sunday honor the Sabbath? Whats wrong with sports on Sunday?

NFL games are on Sunday, NASCAR, GOLF lots of sports on Sunday.

Don't mean to turn this into something the topic wasn't started for, but the Bible says to rest on the Sabbath. That means no work, which is what those athletes are doing.

Granted it's 2011 -- and I know there are situations where people must work on Sundays -- and that passage is in the Old Testament. But there are many laws in the Old Testament that don't work today. Not working on the Sabbath, be it Saturday or Sunday, is one of them IMHO.

/soapbox

Why would wrestling be considered work?

Yes its physical exertion but by choice and for no compensation.

I would think sports to be considered by most as play.

I also think work is taken out of context in this situation.

I should have said that basically means no work or anything. In Old Testament times, people didn't do anything -- work the fields, run their shop, etc. -- on the Sabbath.

The things you refer to are actions to sustain profit, work the fields to sustain livestock or agriculture to eat or sell for profit, work the shop of course for profit.  I always thought the interpretation from the old testament is take the day off from what you normally do every day to make a living and worship, however you choose to worship. I dont think people should confuse sports to "work" as written in the old testament

Sports is fun and celebratory, its usually a family gathering, anything but work.  IMHO perfect for any day of the week, especially Sunday. I grew up wrestling dual meets on Sundays in a middle school league in IN with everyone's family in attendance, great wholesome family fun. It was a planned for 6-8 Sundays and everyone planned on it,  go to church and then wrestle in the afternoon. Many times going out for dinner with family and friends. We played basketball and football on Sundays too, some of those kids grew up to be preachers.

I respect everyones beliefs so if you feel Sunday is not appropriate for youth wrestling dont partake, but dont hold it back from others who chose to do so. Maybe its the 6-10 hour tournaments that arent great for Sundays.

Wasn't this thread about praying at the state tourney?  Get it done fellows.....With that many praying.....you may be able to start something......I know prayers used to take place in our locker room before meets.  I like to see kids taking this upon themselves......

that is great ! and he spoke earlier about the state tournament being on a sunday. not just some casual dual meet from 6-8pm.... and isnt this a job for the coachs? do they not bring in an income no matter how tiny they still do, he wasnt trying to badger those who are not christians but if there whole team is and wishes to pray then it is there own right and should be allowed to no questions asked