Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

JV State Tournament

The recent post by Coach Thomas of Moore got me thinking about the date it is scheduled.  Does anyone else think the JV State Tournament should not be on the same day as state duals?  My reasoning on this is the simple fact that most of the better JV wrestlers to me would seem to be on the better teams overall, Trinity, Ryle, Union, etc.  However the better teams have to make a choice between helping the varsity at the state duals or giving their JV's a chance to win a JV state championship.  I know we were in almost a catch-22 because we wanted to use our JV's to help the varsity via some strategic bumping, it turned out not to matter because we didn't qualify. :|

Also it seems that moving it back just one week would be the perfect solution.  Most teams have a light tournament, or even take it off, the week before regionals.  This would allow the JV's to go compete but not at the expense of the varsity pursuing a state duals title.

Any thoughts?

I think the JV tourny is just that... JV. your bigger teams should have plenty of varsity kids to help them with their state duels. The purpose of the JV tournament is to give those kids that are on a high school team the chance to compete against kids at the same level they are on. give them some experience that some may not get because they have to compete with varsity kids for weight classes. The Tourny is at a good time. Hope nothing changes for next year

Two questions...

Why do they allow teams to weigh in 20 wrestlers for the state duals if they're not supposed to use their good JV's?

Also what would be hurt by moving the JV state tourney back a week to the weekend before regions?  In effect February 5th for this season.  The JV wrestlers would still get their state tournament, in addition to another week of practice, and the top teams could take advantage of their good JV's at state duals.

I do agree that JV state shouldn't be on the same day as state duals.  So I ask, what would be the problem in having JV State the same day as regions?

well if your team is good enough to get to state duals why would you need your jvs to wrestle with you at state duals isnt that y you have varsity wrestlers?

well if your team is good enough to get to state duals why would you need your jvs to wrestle with you at state duals isnt that y you have varsity wrestlers?

So you can move your wrestlers around and have some play with your line up.  As someone noted previously, what's the point in weighing in 20 wrestlers?

I do agree that JV state shouldn't be on the same day as state duals.  So I ask, what would be the problem in having JV State the same day as regions?

The only reason I would say not the same day as regions is so the whole coaching staff could be there for the varsity at regions.  I think the weekend before regions is perfect.

The only reason I would say not the same day as regions is so the whole coaching staff could be there for the varsity at regions.  I think the weekend before regions is perfect.

That would create a conflict with Middle School State. Having JV State the same weekend as State Duels allows coaching staffs to be in two place at once. Moving it to the week before regions would mean sending teams and coaching staffs to 3 places in one weekend. Not many staffs can do that.

That would create a conflict with Middle School State. Having JV State the same weekend as State Duels allows coaching staffs to be in two place at once. Moving it to the week before regions would mean sending teams and coaching staffs to 3 places in one weekend. Not many staffs can do that.

Aren't Middle School State Duals the same weekend as High School State Duals?  If so, then having JV State that weekend would stretch the coaching staff to 3 places in one weekend. 

If it was the week before high school regions then most schools would have a varsity match, Middle School Individual State, and then JV State.  So once again 3 places in one weekend.

If JV State is the same weekend as High School regionals then your coaching staff would only be in two places since the middle school season would be over with.  Seems to be the most logical choice to me.

The story of JV State.

Years ago I constantly asked coaches about putting on a JV State tournament. I got no real responses as far as anyone saying that they would put it on. Keith Smith sent me an email and told me to go for it since I kept asking for it. I thought it would give those guys that are just not there yet something to shoot for at the end of the season. I picked the weekend with State Duals because that is the least busiest weekend of the season (check the master schedule) and also because we wrestle the weekend after and are not able to host it then. I figured this date would be best for the other 70 teams not at the state duals. Are some of the top JV wrestlers missing out because of this?? Yes but the majority of JV wrestlers are not and these are the kids we are trying to reach.

Eventually I will be attending state duals and then someone else can take on JV State. Maybe the KYWCA would like to make it something of theirs eventually. Any other questions?

I think the real problem is trying to do everything in the middle of the high school season; we should stretch some things out more towards the end of the year with MS and Youth.  What about going back to having MS State the weekend after HS state, then Youth State the following weekend?  You could have the MS and Youth regionals on Sundays.  This would eliminate the problem with JV state and not force coaches to be in two places at once for any tournaments.  Using this years calendar dates it would look like this:

Saturday 1-29- HS State Duals

Saturday 2-5- City Tourney (or whatever tourney your varsity goes to)

Saturday 2-5- JV State

Saturday 2-12- HS Regional

Sunday 2-13 MS State Duals

Saturday 2-19- HS State

Sunday 2-20- MS Regional

Saturday 2-26- MS State

Sunday 2-27 Youth Regional

Saturday/Sunday 3-5/3-6 Youth State (you could really make this two days if you wanted which would take some pressure on getting everyone finished in one day since there are so many kids participating.  I have heard many complain about the format of the Youth state tourney and how long it takes plus the fact that ehy only wrestle on 1/4 mats.)

I don't think you would want to put the Middle school regional the sunday after state.

This would call for some traveling.  Not only by the coaches but by the middle school wrestlers that were spectators at the high school state tourney.  We don't want these middle school kids to miss out on the high school state finals.

There is absolutely no reason at all to "PLAN" for anything to be scheduled on Sunday.  Please stop defaulting to Sunday as the best or only day to fit in Youth or even Middleschool wrestlers into the mix.  Please don't use the excuse that "we only have one coach that does everything" also. 

Everyone "recruits" kids to come out and try this sport, so start recruiting some of their dads, teach them how to run a half-nelson and stay in a good stance (goto flowrestling.com) and they will pick it up pretty quick. 

Pnc;

I totally agree with "no wrestling on sunday".

However I spent 9 years at a school that had absolutely no parental support.  Each year I was lucky if I had one parent, not a set of parents show up for a meet each year.

I also had no assistant coach for most of the time.  Most of my assistant coaches were not old enough to take kids to a wrestling meet.  (Ex-wresters from 18-20).

I would also like to point out that 80% of my wrestlers came from single parent homes which the mother was the only one present and they didn't come to the meets.