Sign in to follow this  
mr.fantastic

pre-season wrestlers

Fahy bumping up two weight classes is crazy. Can't wait to see how that comes out i think it'll be quite interesting.

he prob weighed that naturally this year and just cut to 112 i sure with his technique and strength he will be fine

fahy is weighing around 136 or so right now which is his natural weight. He will do the same at 25 as he did at 103 and 112.

i think he killing his self cutting all that weight but even if he stayed at his natural weight he would still win state

i think he killing his self cutting all that weight but even if he stayed at his natural weight he would still win state

All wrestlers in Kentucky need to stop thinking of 'just winning state' and start thinking about the national stage.  That is where we are lacking. 

All wrestlers in Kentucky need to stop thinking of 'just winning state' and start thinking about the national stage.  That is where we are lacking.

I wonder if other sports make these same comments?  Does Highlands say, "yeah we won state but how well would we do nationally?"

What about some of the Trinity boys.  Do they say yeah we win state in KY 9 out of 10 years but how well do we do nationally?"

I'm not saying a wrestler should not shoot for a national goal if they want to, but the only way you compete nationally is in the summer.  Many of our athletes compete in several sports.  I don't think kids middle through 10th grade should be one sport wonders.

Grappler of Old I agree with you if the wrestler is a multiple sport athlete but for those handfull of athletes that are only dedicated to wrestling and want to wrestle at the next level. National competition is the best way to not only get recruited but to make yourself a better wrestler.

JCFATTY (awsome name by the way)

You are correct.  But, go4thepin said every wretler in KY. I would argue just those who are looking to try and wrestle past high school.

Wrestling is such a demanding sport that many high school wrestlers don't even think about putting that kind of time into a sport when they attend a college.  Those that do plan on wrestling past high school probably already try to compete nationaly. 

JCFATTY (awsome name by the way)

You are correct.  But, go4thepin said every wretler in KY. I would argue just those who are looking to try and wrestle past high school.

Wrestling is such a demanding sport that many high school wrestlers don't even think about putting that kind of time into a sport when they attend a college.  Those that do plan on wrestling past high school probably already try to compete nationaly.

Wow, these comments show that Kentucky as an entire state has a long way to go for those who want to make the next level and go to college and wrestle.  This fact is why kids in KY like Josh Johnson who have placed at state since middle school still don't get as much respect from college coaches as state champs from places like New Jersey or Penn.

It's sad that those quality kids don't get the respect on a national level. 

They don't get respect on the national level because the vast majority can't compete on the national level.  The way for the state to get more respect is to 1) compete on the national level SEVERAL times and do well while in high school, and 2) succeed in the college ranks.  However if you want to get the exposure and be recruited by the big schools then you must go to the tournaments where those coaches are.  Sorry to say it but I don't see many major DI college coaches at our state tournament, they are at Fargo, Beast of the East, Ironman, Reno TOC, etc.

fahy is weighing around 136 or so right now which is his natural weight. He will do the same at 25 as he did at 103 and 112.

Don't worry he is just making room for his little brother in the lineup.  :evil:

Yes, two Fahy's come next year. :wink:

Wow, these comments show that Kentucky as an entire state has a long way to go for those who want to make the next level and go to college and wrestle.  This fact is why kids in KY like Josh Johnson who have placed at state since middle school still don't get as much respect from college coaches as state champs from places like New Jersey or Penn.

It's sad that those quality kids don't get the respect on a national level.

The reality of it is that college coaches really don't care about a state title what they want is a coachable kid that can compete well at the national level.

The quality of wrestling top to bottom in KY has increased over the last 10 years, and will continue to grow due to starting to wrestle at the youth level.  The youth programs are still new to KY and underexposed.  It will get to the point, eventually, that a high school wrestler will not be able to compete with his peers if he has not had the experience through a youth program prior.  The level of competition will push KY wrestling closer to the national spotlight and allow more individuals to compete on a national level.  We're on the right track. State Champ is a good goal no matter what state you are from.

The quality of wrestling top to bottom in KY has increased over the last 10 years, and will continue to grow due to starting to wrestle at the youth level.  The youth programs are still new to KY and underexposed.  It will get to the point, eventually, that a high school wrestler will not be able to compete with his peers if he has not had the experience through a youth program prior.  The level of competition will push KY wrestling closer to the national spotlight and allow more individuals to compete on a national level.  We're on the right track. State Champ is a good goal no matter what state you are from.

agree 100%. I have spent countless hours  in Ohio observing 10,11,12 year olds at camps. there technique and wrestling i.q. would put 90% of our high school wrestlers to shame. this only comes from starting wrestling at such a young age.