Sign in to follow this  
thomam

The Michael Award

At Moore I give out 4 awards at the end of the year. Rookie of the year, Most Improved, Mustangs Award(110%), and the M.O.W.

I have been waiting the last four years to give the "Michael Award" and had kept that a secret until Friday night at our banquet. The Michael Award is named after Moore's first wrestler to complete 7 years. Zack Michael started wrestling at Moore his 6th grade year and will graduate this Spring. In honor of Zack the award was named after him and will forever be given out to wrestlers who have wrestled from grades 6-12 at Moore. At Moore we have that unique situation because our school is one of the few public schools that houses both middle school and high school students.

23635_363473852625_141049372625_3442073_4724549_n.jpg

7 years is a large amount of time and I have had several kids start out in 6th grade and not finish. I had one that would have been the first 7 year wrestler however he was ineligible for a year and only finished with 6 years total. Girls, grades, drugs, partying, family problems, etc.... There are so many things that can have an affect on a student athlete. To give 7 years to a sport, a team, teammates, coaches..... That is huge. To go these 7 years and also have these distractions but be strong enough to work through them and handle your education and your athletics is awesome. Believe me when I tell you that this year was Zack's hardest.

Zack came out his 6th grade year and was a small measly little kid. A scrappy one but was not real athletic. He wrestled hard however and all through middle school he took advantage of the off-season, never missed practices, and worked his butt off. He did not win any matches until his 8th grade year and that was just a hand full.

[imghttp://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs427.ash1/23635_364567452625_141049372625_3444709_294838_n.jpghttp://Zack's freshmen year I often got on him for his lack of technique. I often stated to him that "you have wrestled for 3 years and can't even show me a double leg?". If you know Zack his style is awkward and his technical skill was never a strength for him. To my surprise he won 33 matches and placed in 5 tournaments. His sophomore year he won 37 matches, placed in 5 more tournaments and won the Jefferson County tournament. His junior year he won 34 matches, won 3 tournaments, and placed in 3 other tournaments including a 6th place finish in state.

Coming into this year Zack was easily going to be the all time win leader at Moore but because of injuries he came up 4 matches short. Zack finished at 152, 4 weight classes higher then last year when he was at 135. This was a bit different for him because of the strength of these bigger wrestlers. His awkward height (6' 1 1/2") and style helped him pull out a lot of victories. Zack won 23 matches this year along with the region 4 tournament and placed in 3 others including another 6th place finish at state becoming the first two-time state placer at Moore since 1989.

23635_365124352625_141049372625_3446058_6351533_n.jpg

I preach to my kids to stick with it, work hard and you will be a great wrestler no matter how tough it is from the start. Zack is our example at Moore.

7 years of dedication and hard work deserves a mention and the MTS wrestling community is very proud of you Zack. You have come along way and we have used you as an example of hard work and perseverance to the younger kids for years and will continue to do so. This award is in your honor and young wrestlers who start their 6th grade year will strive to become a "Michael Award" winner. You are now a legend at Moore. Thank you.

26909_1347114351338_1035677085_1033607_76722_n.jpg

Congratulations Zach- we have enjoyed watching you all these years. I think it was at the regional tournament this year, if I remember correctly (not completely sure), I overheard someone say, while you were wrestling Grant Ohlmann, "Here goes Michaels, getting ready to frustrate the he_ _ out of somebody..." And it's true, your unique style was probably one of the great enigmas in KY wrestling! Good luck-

I had to comment on this thread myself. Through my son's 4 years of wrestling we have gotten to know several of the Moore wrestlers, Zach being one of them. He has always been not only a hard worker, but also on heck of a great kid. Always polite, complimentary to others, willing to help if needed, and always concerned about his team mates.

Zach if you do read this I want to congratulate you whole heartedly!!! However, I can no longer say you are a great kid, because I have seen you grow into a great young man. I wish you absolutely the best in college as well.

Dan Henderson

aka : Red's Dad

Great award coach, hopefully you have a few more working their way up the ranks to achieve that award in a few years.  Every wrestler could learn a little from Zach....hard work dedication sportsman, true leader.  Hope we have 30 more like him in the seasons to come.  Congrats Zack.  By the way hit them weights and see whats possible.  I could see ya wrestling 215 at that height.  6 1 1/2 is an understatement.  More like 6 -3

Coach Wilkerson